Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paco

Question re: Meat and Refined Food

I have found that the only thing that helps my acne is restricting my diet. But doing so is killing me because I can't eat stuff that I enjoy. Anyways, I have two questions that I was hoping people could help me with:

1. Many people suggest cutting out red meat, or meat in general, to treat acne. I have and it seems to work (although I can't attribute direct correlation since I'm using other treatments too). Why, specifically, does cutting out red meat or just meat (excluding fish) help acne?

- Some people say there are hormones in meat products. Does that mean that if you get meat with no hormones or additives, you're okay to eat it?

- Some people say that it is hard to digest red meat, which prevents your body from cleaning itself better.

2. Many people say that you need to cut out refined food, carbohydrates, wheat to treat acne. But I always thought whole wheat was good for you.

- Is whole wheat bread or whole wheat spaghetti noodles bad for your acne (and if yes, why?)

Thanks!

1. Many people suggest cutting out red meat, or meat in general, to treat acne. I have and it seems to work (although I can't attribute direct correlation since I'm using other treatments too). Why, specifically, does cutting out red meat or just meat (excluding fish) help acne?

Then what about milk and dairy, are you going to sit there and say that that's BS. too?

The whole idea of cutting out red meat to improve acne probably was helped along by the FDA, who say that saturated fat is bad for you. Red meat has more saturated fat per serving than fish, chicken, or turkey.

I think that a general consensus on this board is being reached that saturated fat in its natural, unaltered, unadded form is fine, such as the saturated fat from meat. Saturated fat from more unnatural sources, like vegetable oils, are more harmful. These saturated fats also have very bad omega-3:omega-6 ratios, which I believe is another important culprit in acne, and many other diseases.

In short, red meat probably won't do anything bad for your acne. If it's the red meat that's been heavily processed and fried in vegetable oil, then it probably will. Get free-range meat whenever you can; organic is another plus.

@Bruce Dickinson: hormone-filled meat, and the potential effects of dairy, are two very different subjects.

Thanks for the thoughts on red meat.

It would be great if we could post up top as a stickie everything that is generally agreed upon by consensus (a 1000 acne "experts" can't be wrong, right?). For example, everyone seems to agree that any dairy or sugar should be avoided.

Also, anytime some other new treatment or idea is up for experiment or debate, it should be tested by many people and then we should have a vote. If a statement (e.g., "Taurine significantly helps acne.") gets 75% approval, then it could be included in the pantheon sticky of "proven" method.

This site really could use a poll function!

I think that a general consensus on this board is being reached that saturated fat in its natural, unaltered, unadded form is fine, such as the saturated fat from meat. Saturated fat from more unnatural sources, like vegetable oils, are more harmful. These saturated fats also have very bad omega-3:omega-6 ratios, which I believe is another important culprit in acne, and many other diseases.

I got inspired by the "eat more meat" threads here and added more meat to my diet. The result was lots of big and deep cystic acne on my cheeks that would not go away. My pores were huge and my skin was red. Now that I've stopped eating meat, my skin is clear and and my skin tone is nice and even. I believe that some people are supposed to eat meat and some aren't! :cool:

Ive been a vegetarian for going on three years now and it didnt heal my acne. I dont really think there is a dietary connection for the most part besides just eating whatever makes you healthy AND avoiding stuff that causes a reaction, like food allergies.

Wheat gluten is avoided because many many people have a sensitivity to it, and the results of eating it (for these people) can be disasterous. It destroys the digestive track.

You again, whatever! Go and drink some milk, and see what happens!!!

@Bruce Dickinson: hormone-filled meat, and the potential effects of dairy, are two very different subjects.

Bull. The more saturated fat a food has, the lower the amount of polyunsaturates (and this isn't necessarily saying the saturated fats take the place of polyunsaturated fats). Look at Palm Kernal and Coconut oil, they both are pretty much devoid of omega 3 and extremely low on omega 6, not enough to even make a difference in your diet even when consumed in vast quantities. Bad ratio? Yes, but that's like saying you owe 3 cents when you have 1 cent, meaning your own/owe ratio is 1:3...but there's just not enough omega 6 in the tropical oils to justify them being harmful. The saturated fat content at least gives you the kind of fat your body truly needs.

There are ONLY 2 things we have a consensus for here.

1) Avoid processed foods and drinks and eat real food. Processed foods means anything with sugar, High fructose corn syrup, trans fats/hydrogenated oils. That means almost anything commercially prepared.

2) Avoid anything you personally have an intolerance for. That is where the whole grains, dairy, etc. fit in.

If you look into Sex hormone binding globulin, which is what binds to androgens keeping them from binding to receptors and triggering oil production, most studies will be about low GI diets increasing SHBG, some show a low fat and low GI increases SHBG, and a few have shown that diets high in saturated fat lowers SHBG. I suspect its the increase in the nutrients from fruit and veggies that usually occur when eating low fat and low GI diet that provides the benefit.

Anyway, that might be one reason some avoid red meat and sat fats. Another is that androgens are made out of cholesterol. And then there's the inflammation Danny mentioned.

And because someone above brought up that many increased their meat consumption and cleared their skin, I'll add my experience. And that is that I eat very little meat, red or otherwise. But I never have, before my skin cleared or after, so can make no meat/acne claims. What cleared my skin was cutting back on processed foods and increasing fruit, veggies and fish.

I have nothing against coconut oil; however I was talking about soybean and sunflower and palm oil, which are much more common additives than coconut oil. Wouldn't you agree?