Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ibsprocket

New to the medical treatment scene...

Hey everyone. My name is David and I am 15 years old. For the past couple of years my acne has been very inconsistent, which I'm sure is most likely just the nature of acne. Anyways, I have recently been sick of my acne and decided to go to a dermatologist. He classified me as being on the verge between mild and moderate acne. He has given me a subscription to Tetracycline as well as Differin cream. I was just curious as to whether any of you are in/were in the same situation as I am and whether this combination has worked. I have done a little bit of research and was wondering whether I should ask the Derm. whether I should go ahead and try Retin-A or at least the more potent Differin gel...or should the Differin cream be enough to reduce the acne of a person in my situation. My biggest concern is the farely large price tag that comes along with Differin, especially if I need something more powerful in the future. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

One last thing...I'n the past i've used a BP solution in the mornings...but the derm said I should only be using the differin cream at night. If I do as instructed, my face becomes extremely greasy throughout the day. Should I call and request something for the mornings? Sorry for all the posts, I'm very new to all this as I went to the dermatologist for the first time on friday. In the past I never even considered using antibiotics for my acne so i'm a little overwhelmed as well.

Thanks

David

your better off with the cream, less side-effects. I also have mild-moderate acne, and no topical medications worked for me; I guess you can call my acne stubborn, but now I'm on accutane, and its working wonderfully, except for these stupid rashes on my arms!!! Bah, o well i guess its better than nose bleeds.

If your acne is not stable and this is your first attempt at using scripts, I would stay with what the doctor suggested the first time. You need to have a baseline of what works and at what strengths. It is normal to start low grade because your doctor does not know the reaction you will have.

Over the years, I had started out with low grade scripts and then I would became tolerate of them and then advance to the heavier stuff.

f you already purchased the scripts, use them now. Also it takes awhile, like 6 weeks to see results. If you are just using samples call your doc and tell him you see no difference. Also he can do another step or make an adjustment for the oily skin.

I never used the combo you have. I have used Retin A and did not like it. Constant redness and peeling and pimples!

Best of luck!