Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone! I am 24 year old female that has struggled with acne ever since I was about 14. In the past year or so it has become severe and cystic and I am finally trying my last resort...Accutane. I decided to start a blog about it because reading others' blogs has encouraged me and informed me, and also I could use the community support!

I started my first pill yesterday and am at 40 mg a day of Sotret. My derm and I haven't discussed how long I'll be doing the course, so I need to remember to ask him next time. Pretty important, eh?

So I decided to take my first pill around lunch time yesterday and about half an hour later could already feel it working. My skin felt less greasy, but I have had a headache ever since. Drinking water helps a little, but it's pretty bad. Did anyone else have this at first? I am going to call my derm or pharmacist tomorrow if it doesn't get better. Is it OK to take migraine medicine on Accutane? I need to find out. Note: I remembered that I accidentally took my multivitamin with vitamin A in it yesteday and also accidentally ate ice cream containing quite a bit of alcohol (a friend at school made it!). This new lifestyle will take some getting used to...I think that those two mistakes probably increased my head ache.

Something helpful I learned from others' blogs--always call the pharmacy beforehand to make sure they have enough Accutane in stock! I called four pharmacies yesterday before finding one that had enough pills.

I will get some pictures up soon...I am still figuring out how this blog works!

My daily skin care routine consists of a rinse in the morning, Aveeno ultra calming moisturizer with sunblock, and mineral make up. At night, I use the Aveeno ultra calming foaming cleanser with Aveeno lotion.

Day 1

Active Acne: about 14 pimples, on my chin, lower cheeks, and around my mouth

Side effects: headache, dizziness

Well, wish me luck! I just took my second pill. I hope this head ache goes away.

Congrats on starting Tane! I hope your course goes well :D

Headeaches in the beginning are very common so don't worry too much. I got one about every other day for the first few weeks and now in my 4th week I haven't had one for a few days. I actually only get migrains and although I should be taking imitrex, I only take over the counter pain killers. My derm said it was o.k. to take Ibuprofin and Excedrin.

Tell me more about this alcohol ice cream! It sound interesting and maybe good?

Congrats on starting Tane! I hope your course goes well :D

Headeaches in the beginning are very common so don't worry too much. I got one about every other day for the first few weeks and now in my 4th week I haven't had one for a few days. I actually only get migrains and although I should be taking imitrex, I only take over the counter pain killers. My derm said it was o.k. to take Ibuprofin and Excedrin.

Tell me more about this alcohol ice cream! It sound interesting and maybe good?

I just started this week too! :) I havent had anything much more than some dryness of the lips and mouth. My skin feels very itchy too!

:whistle:

I had pretty bad tension headaches before I even started tane and was already suffering from mild depression/anxiety. It seems as if maybe the tan has had a reverse effect for me. lol No headaches and I'm actually quite calm.

So my head keeps hurting worse and worse and my vision feels blurry. I am skipping both classes tonight because I feel sick to my stomach and there is no way that I can concentrate right now. I called the pharmacist and he said having such a severe headache so early on is not normal and to call my doctor. I called my doc and he was out, but his medical assistant told me to stop taking the Accutane and to come in on Monday.

I am disappointed because I have had such high hope for the Accutane and don't want to give up so early on (I am usually quite a trooper) but my head hurts so bad. As soon as I'm done writing this I am going to lay down. I have a history of migraines, but this is debilitating. I literally felt it come over me about half an hour after taking my first pill yesterday and it hasn't stopped.

Hopefully we can get me on a lower dose or something else that works on Monday. :boohoo:

I hope everything gets straighten out with the headaches! I started last Friday, and about a few hours after taking my first pill, I got a slight headache, though I haven't experienced anything quite as severe as yours. I'm pretty sure the pill caused my headache so I drank a lot of water and that seemed to help me. Hopefully your doc will be able to help you.

Good luck with everything, if you're able to continue treatment!

hi, headaches happened to me on my first day, and then didn't happen again until well into my second month.. but I think the blurry vision thing is a warning sign that my doctor specifically asked before giving me the second month's prescription. definitely contact your derm about it.

Pill 4

Hi everyone! So, it's Monday and I went in to talk to my derm! Basically, he said that the headaches and symptoms that I was experiencing were most likely unrelated to the Accutane because it's extremely unusual for any serious head pressure to start so early on. It usually takes a while for the medicine to cause a person's body to react in that manner. I do get headaches fairly often in general and he suggested to just go see someone about that.

I most likely was very anxious about all the warnings and the hoops you have to jump through to get on this drug so I think I just blamed anything weird that I was feeling on Accutane. It was a really long week last week and I know I didn't have my usual morning coffee on Wednesday or Thursday so that's probably all that I was noticing. :)

Anyhow, my derm said to contact him again if I notice any more negative symptoms. I'm excited to stay on this drug because so far I love what it's doing to my skin! I feel confident that this will clear me right up.

It's interesting because I have always been really embarrassed about my acne to the point that I didn't talk about it to anyone except for my husband (who has seen my in tears over it countless times...dear man). Now I am being open with my friends and co workers about being on Accutane and a surprising number of people have been on it and have encouraging stories. I'm realizing it's nothing to be ashamed of and I have a lot of respect for all of us that go on living our lives and being strong with acne on our faces.

Active Acne: About 9

Symptoms: Dryness on lips/skin...I am tired/dizzy today but I had a really long day at work.

Good luck!! I am about a week ahead of you and I experienced the headaches the first week also. They have gotten better...but now I am getting some joint pains (in my back and shoulder). Hope all these aches and pains are worth it! :)

Pill 12

Hello! Well, I haven't updated in a while because things are going along smoothly! My headaches and nausea are almost non existent. I realized that this drug just amplifies any unhealthy choices I make. As long as I am getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, not eating too much unhealthy food, my body does fine.

My skin is clearing up! A lot of people have noticed. I have about 4 big bumps that stick out from under my make up right now. I am very content with my skin because it doesn't hurt anymore (so I am not constantly aware of it) and I have so much hope because it seems that I finally found something that works for me!

As far as dryness...I just apply lotion to my skin and Vaseline to my lips regularly and I am fine.

Drinking lots of water does wonders, too. It's such a simple thing to do, but with huge benefits.

I have gotten a dry scalp so my hair stylist suggested only washing my hair once or twice a week and using baby powder for any oil in between washings. This has helped with my dry scalp (something I already had before I started Accutane). Also, it's amazing how much time I save on styling and how healthy my hair feels. I'm sure the color will stay longer too. It may sound gross, but what a great idea! I just use my shower cap. :)

Well...so far so good! Here's wishing good luck to everyone else on this journey.

Pill 17

Let me just say I am so glad I didn't get off this pill when I had a few head aches at first. I have been having hardly any side effects and my face is getting so clear! The dryness is totally manageable and worth it! I feel so confident. I only have one painful, red bastard cyst on the side of my nose but I can deal with it because I clear up so fast on this medicine and the rest of my face looks great!

I had a few drinks this weekend, but feel OK. I just need to be careful not to drink too much any more. I'm not a big drinker anyway, but it's wedding season! I am a photographer at next weekends wedding, though, so I won't be drinking any how.

Yay, Accutane!

Active acne: 1! ONE!!!

Side effects: Just some dryness, but Aveeno lotion, Stevens hand cream, Vaseline Lip Therapy, lots of water, and plenty of rest are working their magic for me.

Pill 24

I haven't updated as much as I have planned, but hey! So...I think I had my "initial breakout" last week. After rejoicing over having only 1 pimple, I think I got about 6 or 7 more, mostly around my mouth and chin. I've been bad and picked them a bit, but they are clearing up now. Feeling dryness even more now. My lips constantly feel dry, even after I have just applied chapstick or lip gloss. Time to break out some Aquaphor? Last night and this morning I blew a lot of dried blood out of my nose, but haven't had an actual bloody nose yet.

I can't believe I've been on this stuff almost a month now! Friday is my dermatologist appointment so I can get my set of pills for next month. Even though I had a pretty bad break out last week, I have been getting a lot of compliments on my skin and am feeling better about it.

Here's to hoping I clear up and that I can get through this soon. I need to remember to have a discussion with my derm about how long my treatment will be.

Pill 25

Not much to report. Face has already almost completely cleared from my break out last week. I love how fast I heal up on this stuff. I just have one tiny white head right now and the healing blemishes from my break out.

Things are going pretty well...I switched over to Aquaphor for my lips and I love it. At home it's easy to use, but at work it's hard to apply with my finger because I work with money and therefore have to stop and go wash my hands each time I put some on. I will just stick with Vaseline in a tube for work.

Pill 29

I just had my dermatologist appointment and am about to go to the pharmacy for my second set of pills. My face is clear and I am feeling positive. I will be on this for 3-4 more months, depending on how things go. I am staying on 40 mg a day. I have been getting a lot of compliments on my face.

As far as side effects go, they have been worse since my last post, but manageable. Definitely worth the results. I have been extra dry and skin has been itchy. Also, I have been very achy. So I just have to sleep more, drink more water, moisturize often, and take the occasional ibuprofen.

Gotta go!

I'm so glad that things are working out for you so soon! I'm on Day 36 and one side of my face is completely clear/no red marks while the other is clear with some red marks. It's amazing how this drug is working! Good luck, and I hope you continue to get awesome results!

Pill 34

Hello! Here's a quick little update. I went to my derm on Friday and got a prescription for my next month's pills. He is keeping me on 40 mg a day and I will be on this for 3-4 more months (for a total of 4-5 months), depending on how things go. He wanted to make sure I am doing OK with the headaches. So far I am fine as long as I am taking care of myself with enough sleep, water, and healthy food.

My hubby and I had dinner at a friends house on Friday and apparently one was on Accutane and now has permanent bad vision at night and the other's sister has Irritable Bowel Syndrome from being on it. Scary! Of course it made me think about quitting but so far I think I am doing fine and it is WORKING ON MY SKIN (!!!) like nothing before, so I am going to keep with it and not live in fear. I will just try to track all my symptoms in here and go to the derm again if I start to feel worried.

As I have moved into this second month, I am experiencing:

-Aches and pains in my back and legs, but nothing that I feel is holding me back from life.

-Soreness in my eyes when I am on the computer. I used to wear glasses with a mild prescription and am considering going to the eye doctor for a check up.

-Redness of my skin! Definitely noticing the onset of some tomato face and arms. Make up helps with my face, but does anyone have any suggestions to deal with the redness?

-Feeling easily tired. I am burning the candle at both ends right now (TWO WEEKS LEFT OF this semester!!) and the tiredness I would usually feel from that are exaggerated. I have a hard time concentrating on one thing for very long.

But as far as my face...I only have been getting one or two tiny white heads. I feel pretty again!!

I'm so glad that things are working out for you so soon! I'm on Day 36 and one side of my face is completely clear/no red marks while the other is clear with some red marks. It's amazing how this drug is working! Good luck, and I hope you continue to get awesome results!

Damn, your face became clear in 29 days? That's amazing.

Yeah, that is pretty amazing. It took me nearly 4 months until I was completely clear.

By clear I mean no active zits, whiteheads or blackheads.

Pill 36

Not much new to report. Looks like I have one little guy popping up on my chin, and I have about 4 little healing guys. I call them little guys like they are my friends...no way!

Anyhow, I know that I have definitely not been taking good care of myself lately. I hardly had anything to eat yesterday and haven't gotten enough sleep or water the past few days. I have three portfolios due within the next week and a half, so that on top of work and my social life...eek! Also my little lady dog just got spayed. A lot going on this week. I can definitely tell the difference in my skin as to when I have been taking care of myself...or not, rather.

Still, I am stoked on what Accutane is doing for my skin! It is so much smoother than before I started and I have nearly forgotten how greasy it used to be. My make up used to melt of during the day (pretty embarassing) and I would constantly feel self conscious of how shiny my nose felt. Now my faces stays matte throughout the day. I wonder if that effect will last after I'm off Accutane?

I would take these little pimples any day over the huge, painful cysts that I used to get. Even though I have some acne, it isn't painful, so I forget it's there throughout the day and it doesn't hold me back from interacting with people like it used to. I just put on some light foundation and a little mineral powder and I feel good about how I look. Not perfect, but so much better.

Updates on my side effects:

Dryness--I have to moisturize myself twice a day now. I adore my moisturizer! Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion. The texture is lovely and it makes my skin feel so smooth. Still using Vaseline lip therapy or Aquaphor for my lips.

Soreness- My back has been hurting lately, I only really notice when I am going to bed or just waking up. Ibuprofen helps.

Eyes- I was on the computer for about six or seven hours yesterday working on some art work and to add to that, 2 hours of slides in art history. My eyes definitely were sore and red. Maybe I should get some eye drops?

Mentally I feel good, which is important since I've had a history of depression and I know that can have serious implications for someone on this drug.

Well...nothing else to really say. Have a good weekend, everyone!

:wavey:

Pill 42

Wow, time flies!

Skin has been awesome, except for two cysts. I haven't had a cyst for weeks and I forgot how painful they are. :( I have one on my forehead and one on the very bottom of my chin. Pretty annoying.

Otherwise, things are fine. Just super, super busy with finals so I have been taking terrible care of myself. That's probably how the cysts came back...

Going on a road trip tomorrow...I'll update when I get back!

Pill 55

Dang, already? My two month check up is this Friday. I have a feeling my dosage will be upped.

My skin has worsened since my last posts. No more cysts (thank God) but I have had quite a few pimples in my old trouble areas around my mouth and chin. They are painful.

I blame my lack of self-care in the week before last and the beginning of last week with finals. I got a 4.0, though!! My hard work payed off, but now it's time to give my body the rest it needs. I'm sure my skin will pull through with some TLC.

As far as side effects go...I don't really notice them anymore. I have gotten so used to the dry skin and lips. I need to keep up on moisturizing.

Day 67

I'm into my third month on the stuff. I switched my headings from "Pill #" to "Day #" since I am up to two pills a day for a total of 80 mg a day now.

Before switching to the higher dosage, I noticed that my body had gotten used to Accutane and I was no longer feeling side effects, but I also was getting some small break outs. Now that I am on 80 mg, I can definitely feel the side effects again. The first day I had a huge migraine, and I have been feeling really achy and sore. I feel like I've aged 30 years!! I was also pretty moody the first few days of being on the higher dosage. I have gotten a really bad "Charley Horse" down my right thigh and leg about three times now. I only took one pill yesterday because I was limping and the pain was awful. Today I feel much better and I even worked on my feet all day. I felt a slight trace of the pain once today. I think I am doing better with the higher dosage now...time will tell.

It's hard being so sun sensitive now that the weather is nice and sunny. I have been loading up on sunblock when I go outside but I am still pretty red. My scalp has been really itchy.

As far as my skin goes...it's mostly clear! Got one little whitehead by my lip today but the past few days before were totally clear! I wore a sun dress yesterday and my back was totally clear. Awesome!

I asked my derm about all of my red scars. He said there's nothing I can do about it until after my treatment, but that my skin will be much less irritated and red when I'm off Accutane so that will help my scars fade.