Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
liveinhope

Anyone else want kids but terrified of pregnancy?

There has to be other women out there like me!

Having gone through one pregnancy just last year I know the terrible effect it had on my skin (still recovering.) It was a nightmare pregnancy, full of complications with severe acne one of them. (Normally I suffer from mild-moderate acne when I'm off bcp but during pregnancy it just goes mad.)

I would love to have another child though but the thought of another pregnancy terrifies me. There are multiple reasons for this because my pregnancy was very complicated, - but my skin problem is one terrifying factor. It was so hideous, really destroyed my confidence (which wasnt great anyway), and had a real impact on my relationships with friends and husband (because I didnt want to face them).

Does anyone else dread pregnancy? I know children are a great reward but its such a tough road to get there. I know there are many women on bcp here but what happens when you want to start a family? Then the "fun" really starts :cry:

I am a little nervous about pregnancy. For one, I don't know how my skin will react. I'm on bcp right now and it keeps me much clearer than I've ever been in my life! I don't know how my hormones will react/break me out when I'm pregnant. Another thing is my body. I workout a lot and keeping in shape and looking good is very important to me. I've seen some women lose their baby weight, but I've seen more who don't.

Yes I can vouch for the fact that it is difficult losing baby weight. I'm currently over 2 stone heavier than I was one year ago before pregnancy! I dont let that bother me really though cos I just think there's worse things. Plus the way I look at it, I'm able to control my weight a lot easier than my skin!

This is when my acne problem started as well. I was on BCP in high school so had flawless skin. When I got pregnant, my face exploded and it's been a battle ever since. I refuse to have another child for several reasons, but my fear of worsening acne is one of them, yes. Also, my daughter is only 12 and her acne just started. It's extremely mild right now, but I'm praying it won't get as bad as mine. I fear I've already burdened her. I don't want to burden another.

I'm a male, and I would like to interject here and say that I will never have kids...EVER!!! I will not put them through the torment that I've had to endure for nearly 40 years now. I'm not going to put anyone through that, and then wind up having to live with horrible, scarred, and pitted skin, just my 2 cents worth!

When I was pregnant my skin looked a lot better actually, its odd.

I was only pregnant about 7 weeks though and didnt continue..so I dont know if it would have gotten worse or better or what. Actually in the very beginning before I knew, my skin was really really bad but it cleared after about 5 weeks or so.

I never want kids either Bruce.

OOPS, in response to my last post, not that everything has been miserable for 39 1/2 years :) Only since I was 12, when I started breaking out...just kiddin', you get my drift!

I am very scared :( My sister will be 30 this year and she is pregnant with her second kid. I am now starting to think about me and within 4 to 5 years I will be wanting kids.

I am already having nightmares of me being pregnant and running away from the hospital! I am really scared of the pain :(

I am not really worried about my acne. My acne is mild and on and off. My sister has much worse acne than me, but after her first kid, her skin got better! Now I am jealous of her ;)

I am very scared :( My sister will be 30 this year and she is pregnant with her second kid. I am now starting to think about me and within 4 to 5 years I will be wanting kids.

I am already having nightmares of me being pregnant and running away from the hospital! I am really scared of the pain :(

I am not really worried about my acne. My acne is mild and on and off. My sister has much worse acne than me, but after her first kid, her skin got better! Now I am jealous of her ;)

most of my girl friends had mild acne while pregnant (but did have problems previously). However, for one lucky friend, pregnancy cleared her severe acne. She has been clear for five years now. I am hoping that may be my final solution, but she seems to be more of an anomoly.

HA! Ok, guys 1st of all babies are a beautiful thing to bring into this ugly world. I am currently 4 months pregnant with my 1st and yes, my skin has gotten worse. Yes, it has lowered my self-esteem and self-image...I can't feel comfortable facing the public without making myself up with make-up and such. With me it's mainly around my chin and jawline that I breakout-- alot of whiteheads, and bumps that never come to head and can only be visible when I stretch the skin ie: smile. I just started the baby brush method 2 days ago (again after haivng brushed too hard and giving myself rug burn like scars from it lol) but anyhoo, I truly believe exfoliation is key. I do feel like my skin is alot smoother after exfoliating...it's the redness from the dry patches (maybe dermatitis) and old scars that I have to hide from. As you all know, during pregnancy your hormones go crazy and your skin can be one of the biggest reactors. Mine has become super sensitive, I've had to switch to milder skin products because anything containing SA or BP was too harsh and drying, and my toothpaste which contained Fluoride and SLS was possibly the culprit of the dermatitis like condition around my mouth. I have switched toothpastes and it has gotten somewhat better. I really try not to let it bother me but believe sometimes I just get so down on myself. I am myself's own worst critic and I am harsh. As far as the physical side, I think we as women have become so scared of curves that we crazy diet and crazy exercise just to be able to fit into our size 0 jeans. Remember, we are women and our sex is naturally supposed to have more fat than men. I'm not saying being overweight is ok because that is unhealthy, I'm just saying gaining weight during pregnancy is normal-- and if your husband or boyfriend is like mine he will love your body even more for it. Sure, I can no longer fit into my size 4 jeans but who cares? My body is carrying and sustaining a new life. Curves are ok...we are not meant to look like Kate Moss, or the Olsen twins, or Paris Hilton....

I agree NewMamma. Babies are the most beautiful and precious thing in the world. Anybody who has a baby is extremely lucky. But there is no doubting that pregnancy is a very very difficult road for many, and not only because of skin problems.

I am 27 and although i dont think i will have kids for awhile, the thought scares me to death, because i KNOW that if I go off the pill, i will look like a monster. I really dont know what i am going to do w/out antibiotics and hormones going crazy. Aughhhh that sounds like a nightmare.....makes me almost want to adopt thats how bad i think it would be for my skin.....horrifying.

i guess i will cross that bridge when i get there someday........le sigh........

first off, i am 18 years old.i have a 4 month old beautiful babyboy =] needless to say the stress caused me to breakout, but it wasnt as bad as i had feared. but than again it could be because im the male in the relationship =p my fiances skin was looking pretty good her whole pregnancy, but now that its over her face is spotless. dont be scared, having a baby is totally worth it..

first off, i am 18 years old.i have a 4 month old beautiful babyboy =] needless to say the stress caused me to breakout, but it wasnt as bad as i had feared. but than again it could be because im the male in the relationship =p my fiances skin was looking pretty good her whole pregnancy, but now that its over her face is spotless. dont be scared, having a baby is totally worth it..

I will be giving birth to our second child in August. When I was pregnant with our first child, my face was actually pretty clear throughout the pregnancy. Now that I am pregnant with our second child and my face has tendency to look like a pepperoni pizza! What I am trying to say that not all pregnancies are the same but I can understand how you feel.

i have been pregnant before but only got to 6 wks and was clear,i have mild acne now but im hopng that my cane will go when pregnant or at least be managable with topicals my gp allows. i want kids and am no way going to let acne stop me having kids although i can understand if your acne has ever been severe of course you would worry about it,thats natural. good luck to all those TTC and i hope we are all acne free!

I defiantly want to have kids. I am kind of worried about what might happen to my skin, but not so much to say no to kids.

Nekhebet

I'm sorry to see such judgemental words. Just because we may have fears of pregnancy acne doesnt mean we are selfish and self-centred.

I had a terrible time with pregnancy acne and yes I'm afraid that it may happen in any future pregnancies. But it still wouldnt put me off having more children because I know the complete joy that a new baby brings.

I also know the devastation of losing your only child - so I'm very aware that there are worse things in life than acne.

This doesnt take away the dread of pregnancy acne in the future though. I just know its all so worthwhile. I only had a few hours with my baby, but every second was worth all the difficult months of pregnancy. So worth it.

Our fears dont make us self-centred, they just make us human.

I can definitely relate. I went off birth control pills to try to get pregnant and my face really broke out. I had been on birth control pills for 6 years and had my skin relatively under control. I couldn't believe how bad my skin got after I stopped taking them. I didn't expect it. After months of frustration, I decided that I needed to go back on them again to get my skin back under control. I have been back on them 3 months now and my skin is still breaking out but is slowly getting better. My husband and I are considering trying again but I am so afraid to go off the pill. I am 30 years old and am so tired of having acne.

Nekhebet

I'm sorry to see such judgemental words. Just because we may have fears of pregnancy acne doesnt mean we are selfish and self-centred.

I had a terrible time with pregnancy acne and yes I'm afraid that it may happen in any future pregnancies. But it still wouldnt put me off having more children because I know the complete joy that a new baby brings.

I also know the devastation of losing your only child - so I'm very aware that there are worse things in life than acne.

This doesnt take away the dread of pregnancy acne in the future though. I just know its all so worthwhile. I only had a few hours with my baby, but every second was worth all the difficult months of pregnancy. So worth it.

Our fears dont make us self-centred, they just make us human.

OK, yes I know what you mean. Having a baby is worth all the pain and heartache, without any doubt.

For me pregnancy is also an absolute nightmare. And I dont just mean because it affects the way I look. Although acne is a concern, it is the least of my concerns, given that I have very hazardous pregnancies and have already buried my only child.

I know many women who would give anything to have a baby......and I mean anything. I must admit I cant really understand when people are worried about weight gain but I guess everyone has their own achilles heel. Yes I can understand when people are worried about acne, but I dont think it should prevent them from having a baby. Babies are without a doubt the most precious thing in the world.

Are any of you still on here and pregnant or ttc now? I've been ttc for number two for 1.5 year now and am becoming frustrated by my skin since I can't take BCP or spiro right now. I'm currently trying Dan's regimen. Any of you find a regimen or treatment that has helped your skin while ttc/pregnant?

And I have to admit, I have come close to stopping my ttc efforts all so that I could go back on the pill and spiro, but I really want another child, so I deal with the crappy skin and keep trying. ;)

Im more scared of childbirth than I am of pregnancy per se.

I had a long conversation with my mamon about baby weight tonight as it happens. My mum used to have a natural 19 inch waist, and after having two kids she's gone up to a 22inch waist. She was thinner in her youth but even mow in her fifties she's still a UK 8 (size 4 in US?).

I was arguing that all women put on weight when they get pregnant and get the big flappy belly after giving birth. Mum said that the only reason all her friends put on so much weight during pregnancy was because they decided to "eat for two" and give in to all their cravings, whilst she just kept on eating normally.

She said she used moisteriser on her belly religiously, twice a day and figures maybe thats why sh doesnt have too many stretch marks. She's basically adament that the only extra weight she put on was that of the baby and generally baby related things to keep it alive.

As soon as she gave birth she was actually thinner than she was before pregnancy.

It's a bit of a weird theory but I guess it makes sense in some ways. All the people I know who have got pregnant always do the whole "eating for two" thing, which is actually unnecessary.

It was an interesting conversation anyway!!

Still, Id be far more concerned as to the whole "it coming out of me" issue.

Its funny when I was 18 I told my mom I would be married by the time I was 25 and have atleast one child by then but here I am at 26 single and child free. I love children I think they are so precious and hearing a child laugh is a beautiful sound but now I don't really know if I will have children. This world is a cruel cruel place and I don't know if I would want to bring another human into our already over populated world. I say this and feel sad thinking that I may never see what a little, "mini me" would look like. I don't know child bearing seems so painful and I try to take care of my body and most of the women I know have had a hard time trying to get their figure back. Plus right now I am really enjoying me time, going out and coming home when I please. Having a child will totally make all my free time come to a schreaching hault. Maybe I am just selfish, once I get into a serious relationship my feelings toward having a child will probably change but now single Jess doesn't think she will have kids.