Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jillie86

LETS START THIS POLL!!!!

i think this poll might be helpful for all of us just to get a sense of what everyones favorite things are to use on accutane and how its been treating them :)

...so please fill in the following:

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it

2) Cleanser

3) Moisturizer

4) spot treatment?

5) redmark treatment?

6) are you still breaking out?

7) products to avoid that broke you out.

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc.

(i know its usually in everyones sig but it would be helpful to get this all on one thread)

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it: 21/F/ 60mg, just started month 3

2) Cleanser: Aveeno Clear Complexion, Purpose to take off makeup

3) Moisturizer: Oil of Olay...but looking for a better one that won't clog pores

4) spot treatment?: salycilic acid, ONLY in emergency cases

5) redmark treatment? LOOKING!...just picked up some emu oil...quite greasy!

6) are you still breaking out?...umm still have a few bumps, no big guys..lots of red marks

7) products to avoid that broke you out.: none so far...hopefully NOTT this emu oil!

well its been 2 months and a week and my skin has been super dry, normal, super dry, now its about normal again. Ive had the usual dry eyes, chapped lips. just recently ive been noticing my redmarks are getting really bad. i feel as though new ones are apearing that arent from pimples. some of my pores are like ginormous too...weird. overall its been pretty easy. not many side effects. I run a lot so my knees ache and sometimes have muscle soreness...but other than that nothing :) hope the few bumps i have now will soon go away and i can start treating my red markss which are horrendoussss!!

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it: 21/f/40 mg, 2 months

2) Cleanser: Aveeno Ultra Calming

3) Moisturizer: aveeno ultra calming

4) spot treatment?: nope

5) redmark treatment? agree..need one

6) are you still breaking out?...not that much

7) products to avoid that broke you out.: heavy makeup

8) only side effects so far have been chapped lips, back pain, dry eyes, red marks

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it: 18/F/40mg first month,60mg this month. 2.5months

2) Cleanser: simple foaming fash wash, and sometimes their lotion form

3) Moisturizer: Aqueous Cream/Vaseline

4) spot treatment?: when it gets bad, BP but only spot treated

5) redmark treatment?: I am looking for one....maybe emu oil?? i dont know, anything that wont irritate

6) are you still breaking out: Horribly

7) products to avoid that broke you out.: tbh I'm not sure.....possibly none, but my face is always bad so i have no way to compare

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc.: Well there has been a lack of progress, but I am assuming this is my breakout period...All i will say is that my other cheek has been pretty clear so far. My forehead has also been a lot clearer. Still a way to go. My lips have been very dry...face has started to go extremely dry too...erm psoriasis has got worse...maybe so excema too. Backache..nothing too serious to report though.

:]

*******Post EDITED*********

19 years old , 40mg first 2 months , 60mg now , Starting month 4

2) Cleanser Whatever is in the shower,

3) Moisturizer only occasionaly moisturize but when I do I use dans moisturiser

4) spot treatment? Nope

5) redmark treatment?Nope

6) are you still breaking out? Not really, improved alot, still one or two actives

EDIT: Broke out a couple days ago with 2 or 3 spots

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc. My skins really improved since I started taking accutane, the first 2 1/2 months were quite up and down and I experienced a couple of heavy breakouts, started clearing up at around day 73 or so, My concentration and focus has been affected, also much more irritable then usual. Keep getting a rash (on the body) that goes away if I apply lotion after showers but sometimes I slack off. Keep getting colds that go away really fast but I get lots of them. Previous red marks from before accutane have got worse

EDIT: Dont think Im at the clearing up stage yet, im definately near it, hopefully I will start clearing up after this recent breakout

1) 29, 40mg daily, today is day 109

2) not using a cleanser atm, only lukewarm water

3) Aveeno Ultra-Calming. I don't like it though, it makes me very red and irritated. I am going to hit up the Clinique counter today.

4) don't need a spot treatment

5) i have a few red marks, but i'm just waiting for them to disapear on their own

6) i have one zit near my mouth, otherwise i am completely clear

7) i took fish oil a few months back and broke out after that...could just be a coincidence, but after i stopped taking it, it went away

8) i need a decent moisturizer, but otherwise the course has been running smoothly. my hair is pretty dry, which is bumming me out, because it's normally dry without accutane, so now it's even worse, but managable. i'm also flakey, but i think that can be quelled with a good moisturizer.

did i mention that i need a good moisturizer?

1) 29, 40mg daily, today is day 109

2) not using a cleanser atm, only lukewarm water

3) Aveeno Ultra-Calming. I don't like it though, it makes me very red and irritated. I am going to hit up the Clinique counter today.

4) don't need a spot treatment

5) i have a few red marks, but i'm just waiting for them to disapear on their own

6) i have one zit near my mouth, otherwise i am completely clear

7) i took fish oil a few months back and broke out after that...could just be a coincidence, but after i stopped taking it, it went away

8) i need a decent moisturizer, but otherwise the course has been running smoothly. my hair is pretty dry, which is bumming me out, because it's normally dry without accutane, so now it's even worse, but managable. i'm also flakey, but i think that can be quelled with a good moisturizer.

did i mention that i need a good moisturizer?

22/40mg/one month

2) Cleanser: Purpose Liquid gentle cleanser (night) and Purpose gentle bar (day)

3) Moisturizer: aveeno ultra calming spf 15

4) spot treatment? none

5) redmark treatment? my redmarks are probably the worst. its revolting! my redmarks dont discriminate on my face, it's everywhere and takes years to heal.

6) are you still breaking out? yes

7) products to avoid that broke you out: do NOT use Aqua Glycolic cleanser. I used it for three months and got the worst acne from it, whiteheads, big bumps, and bumpy skin.

I thought it was getting better until last week I started getting pimples again. I have to wait another week to get my 2nd month prescription due to insurance problems. The only nice part of my skin is around my eyes lol.

-17yrs, 1st month 20mg,2nd month 30mg, 3rd month 20mg, 4th month(alternate between 20 and 30mg, 5th month 30mg...

2) Cleanser

-T3 Antibacterial Wash.

3) Moisturizer

-Eucerin Oil regulating moisturiser.

4) spot treatment?

-Erythromycin gel(Galderma)

5) redmark treatment?

-none...

-A new whitehead, milia, small pimple, bumps daily... Usually a bigger red one form weekly...

-Never apply Johnson's baby moisturiser on your face, I feel that it really clog up pores.

-There was slight improvement for me.

-Don't mess with pimples too much, especially touching them.(tempting I know...)

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it: 21/F, 60 mg/day, I'm on Day #5!

2) Cleanser: Morning: DKR Cleanser. Evening: Remove makeup with home-made safflower oil cleanser, then follow up with DKR Cleanser

3) Moisturizer: Cerave lotion right now, sometimes Cetaphil Cream, want to try jojoba oil but afraid!

4) spot treatment? Yes, Benzaclin on big guys

5) redmark treatment? None

6) are you still breaking out? HELL Yes, worse than ever before in my LIFE!!

7) products to avoid that broke you out: ??

8) comments/suggestions: Well I'm only on day 5 so i have a long road ahead of me, and I can tell now that it is going to be a hard road. Already on day 5 my skin is worse than it has ever been in my life. I am pretty embarrassed at school and work, and I haven't been doing anything social. I can't wait for it to start to get better but I know that could be a while from now so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. My side effects are the occasional headache, bloody nose, sore knees, dry lips... I am taking a lot of supplements (Vit D, Vit C, Fish Oil, Calcium/Magnesium), and trying to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water as well as getting 8 hrs of sleep a night. I am seeing this 6 month period as a chance to revamp my entire lifestyle. :cool:

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it - 18, 80mg/day, 109 days

2) Cleanser - Bar of soap? Zest.

3) Moisturizer - Regular Cetaphil

4) spot treatment? - None

5) redmark treatment? - None

6) are you still breaking out? - Nope

7) products to avoid that broke you out. - N/A

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc. - IB was horrible, after that it was great. Only broke out once in the last 3 months-ish. Dry skin and dry lips are my only side-effects.

19/m/60 mg/44 days

2) Cleanser

spectrojel for sensitive problem prone skin.

3) Moisturizer

neutrogenic oil-free with spf 15 for now. might switch soon

4) spot treatment?

none

5) redmark treatment?

none

about...8 active ones right now.

so yeah :(

accutane? :D

but, see comments

might post a new thread altogether for this..

i find i breakout on my cheekbone regions..I'm thinking this might be because of my pillowcase? though I do wash it very regularly. Anyone else see the same pattern?

Otherwise, my immune system is terrible right now! a cut on my finger is healing really slowly (8 days already, normally heals in 2-3). plus, been getting runny noses that I don't normally get.

otherwise, skin is smoother, but alot of redness still. I'm trying to figure out if it's because of my cleanser, moisturizer, or just bad luck ;)

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it:

19, Month 1,2 = 40 mg, month 3-6 = 60 mg, I'm currently on day 106

2) Cleanser:

Cetaphil gentle cleanser

3) Moisturizer:

God, there's so many I've gone through...currently using Avene light hydrating cream

4) spot treatment?:

Proactiv repairing lotion

5) redmark treatment?

Nothing as of right not, but I recently ordered some emu oil

Yes, on a daily basis (one zit a day)...it's quite the piss off!

7) products to avoid that broke you out.:

La Roche Posay Nutritic moisturizer

My acne is horribly persistent and I always have at least one active spot. My scars and redmarks are horrible and are as conspicuous as ever (it seems as though they haven't healed at all). Thus far, the only noticeable side effects are the dry lips and face. I'm not very happy with my treatment so far but I'm gonna finish my six month course and see where I'm at then...sigh

18, 50mg per day, I've been on for 4 months

2) Cleanser

None

3) Moisturizer

Dove Sensitive Skin Moisturizer and Aveeno Intensive Care Oatmeal Moisturizer

4) spot treatment?

None

5) redmark treatment?

Time

Not really, I got two tiny spots on my face and one on my neck this week but I was totally clear for about a month before that

I haven't been using any products besides moisturizer, as per the advice of my doctor

I went from having approximately 100 spots on my face and neck to having 3 spots in total.

The side effects I've suffered from include mood swings, depression, dry lips, flaky skin around the mouth.

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it. 18, 20MG, few months.

2) Cleanser Water and dove soap.

3) Moisturizer None

4) spot treatment? None

5) redmark treatment? None

6) are you still breaking out? Always

7) products to avoid that broke you out. Mostly cream cleansers.

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc. It helps keep the acne small and painless. I know I will never stop breaking out. I'm fine with the pimples if they don't hurt.

40mg, midway through my 4th month

2) Cleanser

Cetaphil Cleanser, Oil of Olay Warming Cleanser

3) Moisturizer

GNC Vitamin C Moisturizing Cream

4) spot treatment?

Evoclin (Clindamycin Phosphate foam)

5) redmark treatment?

Evoclin.. well maybe.. there have been some redness fading but I'm not sure if it's just time or Evoclin or the combination of both.

Nope.

Too many to name: BP definitely broke me out, Clindamycin Phosphate in gel and cream form, Tazorac, Retin-A, and what's that infomercial one on TV? I forgot the name... seriously, I did.

Stick through Accutane. You won't regret it. I've cleared up and have no breakouts for at least a couple months now. All that's left are red spots and scarring. Also, my face however seems uneven and scars look worse... maybe due to Accutane's thinning of the skin. Anyways I'll probably go for another month of Accutane and then start maybe using Retin-A again since I stopped breaking out. Then after that I might be doing TCA CROSS because I've seen and read some great stuff about it.

21 years old; 120mg; 4months (in two days) I was on 80mgs the first 3 months

2) Cleanser

Cetaphil (well the Wal-Mart generic) Sensitive

3) Moisturizer

Cetaphil (well the Wal-Mart generic)

4) spot treatment?

none

5) redmark treatment?

none

yup at times

none that I know of

It has been tough since I dose was upped to 120mgs. My immune system is shot. I've had pink eye twice; a UTI and other problems effecting that area, and other random aliments. Dry skin (tane rash on hands and arms), lips and eyes. I've stopped wearing my contacts until the end of my treatment.

My oil problem has improved dramatically though. I still have a few stubborn whiteheads,blackheads that will not go away! My skin is so thin right now my scars look awful.

My mood has really been awful the last week and a half but I believe this is because everything in my life seems like it is falling apart. I have school problems, financial problems and with my body acting funny on top of that it is hard to cope.

18 years old; 60mg (dose started at 20, the 40 ect) almost 4 months

2) Cleanser

acne-free 3 step cleanser

3) Moisturizer

Cetaphil and neutrogena hand cream

4) spot treatment?

acne-free BP lotion (step 3)

5) redmark treatment?

none

sometimes

Porcleana skin lightening cream

tough with all the annoying side effects and the IB and such but finally im starting to see improvement. its about time

1. 26 F. 60mg a day on my second month

2. Cleanser - Manuka Honey and Goats milk bar of soap. Found it on Ebay and LOOOVVEEE it.

3. Moisturizer - Emu oil, and if it starts to flake I put on a bit of Cetaphil 5 min after the Emu oil

4. Spot Tratment - Tea Tree oil. (Only apply once it will DRY IT and the skin around it out bad, to the pint of peeling?) Also I use a Q tip and dab a lite amount only on the pimple.

5. Red Mark Treatment - EMU OIL!!!!! It may feel grreasy, but it is the best thing that has happened to my skin aside from Accutane.

6. Still Breaking Out? I have 3 pimples, BUT they are the first three in WEEKS, and I used to have a face full, so I am Quite content.

7. Products to avoid - Leaving my make up on all night, Anything by Nuetrogena, screw them I think it is a conspiracy, every time I use thier cleansing products, my skin gets worse. Marketing.

8. I LOVE how accutane has worked for me, and when I see pics of myself from back when I had clear skin YEARS ago, I think to myself, how the hell have I let it get this bad. I have SCARS now. I wish I would have found Accutane earlier. EMU OIL ROCKS. Do not fear it it has antibacterial properties, and it will not clog your pores. Good Luck EVERYONE!

28, Month 1 40mg Month 2 60 mg Month 3 80mg... I'm 2 weeks into month 4 at 100mg

2) Cleanser

Dove moisturing face soap

3) Moisturizer

Eucherin Daily

4) spot treatment?

Benzoyl Peroxide

5) redmark treatment?

None as of yet, but would love to know of one that works!

With the increase in dosage I got 2 small pimples by my jawline... nothing in comparison to what I had before

No products necessarily... I need to stay away from chocolate though.. don't care what anyone says... I break out from it lol!

AQUAPHOR has saved my lips!! Yes they are chap and red, but no where near where I thought it would be. I also use Ocean Saline nose drops day and night from the start of my treatment... and have yet to have a nose bleed. I started moisturizing my entire body from Day 1, which has helped with dryness and rashes. Drink TONS of water. I lost 5 lbs by cutting out a lot of drinking alcohol, and drinking 16 glasses of water a day.

I am a tad bit dissappointed in my progress, I thought by now I would be 100% clear.

18/m 40mg twice a day, 11 weeks (78 days)

2) Cleanser

Cetaphil soap bar

3) Moisturizer

Cetaphil lotion - spf 15

4) spot treatment?

none

5) redmark treatment?

none

10th week i still was, now my break out areas are becoming completely non active and clearing

dont use topicals

horrible untill the 10th and 11th week. now im clearing up like a clean window

(i know its usually in everyones sig but it would be helpful to get this all on one thread)

This is kind of interesting so I am chipping in as well

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it: 21, 20mg daily for 8 months

2) Cleanser: Neoceticals clarifying facial cleanser

3) Moisturizer: none

4) spot treatment?: Dalacin T Clindamycin phosphate solution

5) redmark treatment? La Roche Posay vitamin c emulsion, Retin-A

6) are you still breaking out? I'm post tane so I'm clear. I didn't actually break out in the first place

7) products to avoid that broke you out: None

I am post-tane and the results of accutane have indeed delivered. I got cleared within 2 weeks which was really lucky and has been clear ever since though my oil levels seem to be coming back slowly as I started noticing today. Low dose accutane proves to be just as effective.

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long you've been on it

17, 30 mg twice a day, 5 months (finished this morning)

2) Cleanser

The first month, Purpose and Cetiphil. They made my face feel tight after using them, so I switched to Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

3) Moisturizer

Clinique's Moisture Surge Extra in the a.m. and Vaseline at night. Also used Olay Complete moisturizer with SPF 15 when walking outside for more than a couple minutes (not a lot, since it's been a cold winter).

4) spot treatment?

None. I wouldn't recommend anyone use spot treatment while on Accutane unless they're desperate!

5) redmark treatment?

None.

I've gotten a couple small zits in the past two weeks, but none between the middle of month one and month 5.

None, but I didn't put a whole lot of stuff on my face.

Go easy on your skin!

1) Age, Accutane dose, and how long youve been on it - 28 F, 120mg/day, 4.5 months

2) Cleanser - Cetaphil antibacterial bar, sometimes Aveeno daily skin brightening scrub if I'm getting a lot of dry flakey patches

3) Moisturizer - neutrogena combination skin face lotion in the day, and their lite night cream at night

4) spot treatment? witch hazel, occasionally a dot of the proactive repairing lotion if I'm desperate (but I agree, much better to just leave it be or I get a huge dry spot to replace the pimple)

5) redmark treatment? Time (lol) and sometimes some vitamin E oil from the capsules

6) are you still breaking out? A tiny bit, I get cold sores too which is discouraging

7) products to avoid that broke you out. Anything with chemical sun screen in it

8) comments/suggestions, how its been so far, progress/lackthereof, etc. My favorite thing about Accutane other than it's cleared me up so much is that my hair isn't a constant oil slick!