Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luvinmypony

Looking for that lost soul...

Hello, I'm Terra. I'm 26 married and have decided to start Accutane. I've battled acne since I was a teen. It never really bothered me because it was only here and there on my face in the "T" zone. However, withing the last year I have had a TON of stress and different hormonal changes go on. My husband and I lost a baby in August at 6 months. That in itself was enough to send my Acne through the roof. They placed me on the depo shot because I couldnt use the birth control pill because my liver enzymes were off. I had to be on something because after losing the baby I was not allowed to get pregnant for a year. They wanted my body to heal and my hormones to stabalize. Anyhow, soon after starting the depo shot my husband noticed these pimples starting on my back and neck (hairline). I thought "No big deal, they'll go away". YEAH OK...NOT!

I finally decided to go to the derm in Feb. She took one look at my neck and back and asked if I had tried anything else. My family doc had me on antibiotics and topical (retinA) Nothing was helping. I tried SA & BP. NO signs of relief. So the Derm started me on tane.

Yesterday was my first dose. No side effects yet ofcourse. I have noticed that I feel thirsty and have a very dry mouth and lips. I know the side effects from this drug can be very harmful. I am prepared to deal with that. BUT...what I refuse to deal with is a life full of hiding. Since my breakout, I have gone into this state where all I want to do is cover myself up and hide. I hate to show my back and neck to anyone. It's embarassing and it's really starting to take a tole on my realtionship because I AM NOT comfortable with my body anymore. :(

So, I'm on a mission folks. I'm going to get my body back. Regardless of what it takes. I've started eating a little more healthy, working out 3-4 days a week and now starting tane yesterday. We'll see where this journey takes me. Wherever it is, lets pray that is alot better than where I am at now.

I had my husband take a picture of my back. Hopefully I can attach it right. :wacko:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/tjs...st/P1010337.jpg

Good Luck to you!

Do be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster to go along with the pills - you have already been through so much. I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated with your progress/journey.

I know, I'm very nervous about the emotional side effects. However, I think that because what I went through with losing my son....I know what it feels like to almost be to that point where there is no return. Somehow, I found a way to pull myself out of the gutter. I have no clue how I did it, but I did.

I know I'll be alright no matter how bad it gets. I made it through that and I most certainly can do this.

I think that people have to be open minded when starting such a strong medication. You need to be well prepared and prepare those around you. I've already told my husband if I get too depressed or acting strange that I will stop the medication. It just wont be worth it.

I really am not one for the holistic diet approach. I work full time and go to nursing school full time, take care of the house & husband, take care of 4 horses and work out 3-4 times a week so following a strict diet would be very hard to do since I often eat at weird times and I'm not always around to eat fresh foods.

The only other thing that has ever helped my acne was tanning & being in the sun. And we all know how unhealthy too much UV light is. So....you are damned if you do and damned if you dont. It's either the accutane or the sun.....what would you do?

I'm a little worried about the IB. I am the maid of honor in my sisters wedding on 4-5. So I hope it's not too bad. I have this powder from Bare Escentuals. I absolutley swear by their makeup! Anyway, it's called RareMinerals Blemish Therapy. It has 3% sulfur in it. It works wonders on blemishes. Takes all of the redness away. IT WONT make the acne go away but it does help with the redness. So I'm going to be using that nightly too.

Thanks for your response and I'll be posting pics often. :)

~Terra :dance:

Goodmorning tane friends.... :wub:

Feeling pretty good here. Today will be DAY 3 for me.

No side effects as of yet, other than just being pretty thirsty and feeling dry all over. I feel like I could just jump in a tub full of coco butter and soak. I took a look at my back this morning before I got in the shower and it hasnt really changed much yet. I have noticed the redness going away. Hopefully IF I have an IB it will happen after April 5th.

I've been really pounding the water and trying to keep my spirits up. I just dont want to be going through the IB during my sisters wedding. I'll feel like everyone is looking at me. Does anyone know if maybe a spray on tan would benefit me? It may help to cover up some of the scars and such.

Anyhow... Have a great day everyone! I'll be posting a picture next week. :D

Terra, Just wanted to pop in and wish you good luck on your course. I am on Day #6 today so I'm just ahead of you. I'm very sorry for all that you've been through. You must be a really strong woman.

Thank you Natalie. We'll have to keep in touch.

You know, after all that I have been through--- (That was my second loss of a child, my first loss was two years ago at 16 weeks). I've found this inner strength. I have no clue where It came from or why these things have happened to me. All I can tell you is that because of what I went through with losing my son. I now know the true meaning of love. It has changed my marriage and it has changed my life for the better!

Day 6 huh? Any IB or symptoms yet? I'm crazy worried about my sisters wedding on April 5th.

i wish you all the best. i'm sure you'll be fine for your sisters wedding...i know it's hard but try not to think about it b/c the stress may cause a flare-up :(

Hi Terra. Welcome the .org. Just curious, what dose does your derm have you on?? I suffer from bacne as well. Hope the tane works wonders for you. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll have to update some of my pics as well. Jules

I'm on 40mg once a day. :)

The first few days were great. However, I'm on the fifth day. I've had a headache since yesterday, I am WEAK and plain old exhausted. My whole body hurts if I sit in one position too long.

I've had a few come to the surface since yesterday but my back seems to be looking alot better.

I'm not sure how long I can handle this weakness and body pain. I need to be able to focus on nursing school and I CANT right now. And it's not really healthy to live on pain killers everyday either. :wall:

Good luck on your course! I hope everything goes smoothly for you seeing as you've been through so much. Keep your spirits up! Though I know it's easier said than done...

I have a wedding to go as well though it's at the end of May . I'm hoping that my skin won't look like crap... I'm the photographer so I won't be able to hide. :)

Day 7.

It was harder today than ever to get out of bed. I even thought about calling off work. I'm weak, tired and I can't focus. I think I can't focus mostly because of the headaches. Do they go away or is this something I am going ot have to deal with for the next 5 months? I really dont want to be taking motrin everyday.

My back is looking good so far. I have no new cysts on my back or neck. However, I have had a few little whiteheads pop up on my face which is no big deal.

I'll post a picture next week of my progress. :D

Day 10 and I am feeling much better. The headaches have seemed to ease off a little bit. My energy level is still pretty low, but I'm dealing with it. And to think, a few days ago I wasnt sure if i wanted to stay on this. I'm still not 100% sold, but I've decided to give it a little more time.

Lips are VERY VERY dry. Thank god for Carmex Mint Flavored Lip Balm. The mint seems to have a cooling effect on my lips. I'm not leaving home without it. My face really isnt that dry, but holy lord I woke up today and I think the IB is in full force. I've had a few new whiteheads come up on my face and neck. Nothing major, just annoying. I have 16 days until my sisters wedding so hopefully the IB is over by then!

Here's to another glass of water....CHEERS! :D

Julia, I'm on 40mg Sotret once a day. My weight is 172. I'm 5 ft 7. :) Please keep in touch! Your photos look amazing. I'll be posting another one next week. I'm still getting used to this site. ;)

Day 15 :clap:

Feeling like I finally have my energy back. No joint pain & the headaches have become a little more mild.

I AM DRY AS A PRUNE! I purchase the Aquaphor and I really like it. My lips are doing alright as long as I use that. However, my face is REALLY red and looks like I have a sunburn. I've switched to the Cetaphil face wash because normal soap seems to irritate it. Otherwise, my face has not a pimple on it and I havent been that clear in years.

My back looks better. My hubby thinks it looks the same, but I can see a difference. I posted pics below...do you think it looks better? The cysts seem to be going away and I have no more painful spots on my back. THANK GOD! :dance:

Day 1: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/tjs...st/P1010337.jpg

Day 15: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/tjsechrist/Day15.jpg

Definitely better. Most of the actives from day 1 are now red marks. Must be nice having some energy again, I can't wait to have mine back.

I still notice IF I dont get at least 8 hours of sleep a night I am exhausted the next day and ready for bed by 5pm. So I have tried to arrange everything so that I am in bed by 9pm and get a good nights rest. I have a few favorite shows that are on TV after 9pm so I just watch them online the next day. God, what would we do without the internet.

My face is flakin away today. I didnt even wear any makeup to school. I soaked myself in moisturizer and wished for the best.

I think I may just wear my hair up for my sisters wedding. I'm feeling alot better about the way my back looks now. We'll see... :rolleyes:

Hey there, I just wanted to drop by to wish you good luck on your course. I'm also just a few days ahead of you. I started mine on 3/5/08. The only side effects I have experienced so far is the dryness. I'm sure you will look gorgeous for your sis's wedding! :D

Day 15 :clap:

Feeling like I finally have my energy back. No joint pain & the headaches have become a little more mild.

I AM DRY AS A PRUNE! I purchase the Aquaphor and I really like it. My lips are doing alright as long as I use that. However, my face is REALLY red and looks like I have a sunburn. I've switched to the Cetaphil face wash because normal soap seems to irritate it. Otherwise, my face has not a pimple on it and I havent been that clear in years.

My back looks better. My hubby thinks it looks the same, but I can see a difference. I posted pics below...do you think it looks better? The cysts seem to be going away and I have no more painful spots on my back. THANK GOD! :dance:

Day 1: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/tjs...st/P1010337.jpg

Day 15: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/tjsechrist/Day15.jpg

Day 21

Feeling like crap. I'm not sure if what I experienced before was my IB or if I am going through another one now. I have a few whiteheads on my face and a few on my back which totally has me bummed for the wedding this weekend. Ugh....

I had a headache yesterday and today. Today I feel a little achey and like a giant bloob.... yuck

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've logged on. I spend most of my free time sleeping or studying.

I've survived the first month and even made it through my sisters wedding. I was so nervous about wearing an open back dress. However, the lady that did my make up, covered up my acne on my back with mineral powder makeup and you couldnt tell at all.

I am into the 1st week of the second month. I think like day 33 or 34. Not sure, lol...my memory is gone! I met with my doctor this week and explained the side effects I seem to be having and talked about my labs. I am staying at 40mg daily.

My cholesterol is up but not that much. It was 202. Not that high at all. 200 is the cut off for having high cholesterol. Recently I have noticed that i am tired all the time, my muscles and joints ache and I have no desire to work out anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for that????

The nosebleeds have stopped (so far). Lips are dry but I am using carmex and that seems to be working well. The aquaphor didnt do a thing for me. I did have a little eczema on my lower and upper arms but that seems to be clearing up with the Eucerin cream that I got.

Other than feeling very weak and tired all the time...all is good. A few days ago, I was ready to give up. However, I am seeing great results with my back. I will post pictures sometime this week!

Have a great weekend!

~Terra :dance:

So I'm thinking about not taking Accutane any longer. I havent taken a pill for two days and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to take anymore.

I feel like SHIT! EVERYDAY my joints ache, tired of the constant dry blood nose, I'm moody & soooo irritable and I am sick of having a headache. My memory seems to be going crazy too. I just dont like what this medicine is doing to my body and to me, it's not worth it for clear skin.

I've been on it for two months now and I think thats a fair enough "trial" time period. I've tried sleeping more at night to deal with the feeling of being weak and exhausted and that doesnt work, I just want to sleep more. I've tried exercise to try and stimulate things and get me feeling better, that just made me even more tired.

I can't afford to be distracted like this while I'm in nursing school. My career is my future, my skin...well, I'm just going to have to deal with the acne on my back. Hopefully once my hormones stabalize from losing the baby, It will clear up.

:confused:

So I'm thinking about not taking Accutane any longer. I havent taken a pill for two days and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to take anymore.

Thank you for responding. I think perhaps I will just try to stick it out until my next apt with the derm doc.

I am just really stressed right now and the side effects of this arent helping at all.

I want nothing more than to have my pre pregnancy body back.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am no longer on Accutane. The side effects were wayyy too much.

My joints hurt so bad to the point where I hated to even get out of the chair.

Horrible headaches EVERYDAY with no relief.

And I started getting even more depressed than I already was. I should have never started it in the condition that I was in after losing my son.

O well.

Best of luck to you all. I've been off for two weeks now. I havent had a headache since. My joints are still a little sore. But I think I'll manage.