Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sick_skin

Minocycline Resistance

Hi,

I just went to see my Doctor and he prescribed me a course of Minocycline. The reason I am posting here is because I previously took a course of Mino, it worked great for 8 months then my acne slowly returned. Fast forward a few years and i have taken every acne med under the sun including 2 Accutane courses. Anyway, does anyone know if this med has a chance of working, i mean, i`m already resistant to it, and i told him this, why did he put me on it again?!

He knows it worked before thats why he gave you them again, as for the lasting effects you may need a break from it after 8 months. Then possible restart it again in a month or so... Just get a good topical for the peroid you will not be taking the Mino

Try using a benzoyl peroxide gel/cream say 5 or 2.5% once daily while on the mino, this has been proved to prevent antibiotic resistance

sick_skin:

benzoyl peroxide doesn't work the same way that antibiotics do. BP opens up your pores so that oxygen can poison the bacteria that causes acne. antibiotics work inside your cells to stop bacteria from replicating. the only problem is, bacteria can evolve so that they are resistant to antibiotics. it can never evolve to be resistant to BP bc the simply can't grow in the presence of oxygen.

someone on another board said that you can use antibiotics again after a few years of stopping that particular one. i don't know if this is true...it doesn't make any sense to me. because once you have resistant bacteria on your skin it's not going to go anywhere because it's still growing!

also my derm said that i could choose to take an oral antibiotic for a month (Doryx) if i wanted to clear up the inflammation while Retin-A started working. i'm guessing he didn't want me on antibiotics for a long time. you should have another topical medication while you are using minocycline so that after you're resistant to mino, there will be something else (topically) that is working for you.

malia pretty much nailed it. It's simple actually. Naturally, there are some forms of the p. acnes bacteria that are resistant to antibtiotics. When one starts using the antibiotics, it kills all the bacteria that's not resistant, leaving just the resistant bacteria to replicate. That's why antibiotics usually quit working. Pretty soon, all the remaining bacteria is resistant.

I think i know why i was prescribed this medicine now. Apparantly, Minocycline also has an anti-inflammatory effect independent of its antimicrobial properties. Therefore, the acne that i have, even if the bacteria is resistant to it, will not be able to develop into large pustules.

Thats a kick in the teeth as i thought this med might clear me again, instead i have to opt for smaller less inflammed spots... i only have three or four of em, the rest of my skin has smaller more annoying ones

Minocycline and doxycycline

Minocycline is more lipid soluble and penetrates the sebaceous glands better than tetracycline. It has a more persistent effect and bacteria resistance is less common than tetracycline. Both minocycline and doxycycline are probably more effective and better tolerated, but more expensive, than tetracycline. They can be given as a single daily dose (100 mg/day) or in a divided twice daily dosage. Both drug can cause GI upset and drug eruption like tetracycline. Other side effects of minocycline include dizziness and various types of pigmentary change. There is also a recent report revealing that minocycline is more frequently associated with immunologically mediated reactions like chronic active hepatitis and lupus erythematosus than other anti-acne antibiotics.

How about if I use the Minocyclin to kill the bacteria that is not resistent to Minocyclin and then use another antibiotic to kill the bacteria that is resistent to minocylin?

could this be posible? It makes sence because some bacteria might be resistent to one thing and not to another :-k

lokipr, it could be possible; however do not count on it. All antibiotics with the suffix "cycline" are derivatives of a common drug. Therefore, if the bacteria becomes resistant to one form, it will most likely be resistant to otherforms, however it is not always the case. I had used Doryx for a while, seemed to work OK, swtiched to Mino, and it worked better. The mino quit working after about 1-1.5 years. Try it out, you won't know til you try.

I read in Dr Chus book "the good skin doctor" that after stopping an antibiotic for a few days your body has no recollection of ever taking it though you probably become resistant to it while you're on it. Ive found an antibiotic thats not related to the tetracyclines called trimethoprim-anyone tried it?