Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SakuraHime

Sakura-hime's MA & SA Regimen Log

I was on Dan's Regimen from 12/1/07-3/6/08 It got my acne under control, but it felt like it prevented any red marks to heal and my skin was always super irritated and red. I've read quite a few good reviews about Mandelic Acid and how it has antibacterial properties and heals red marks.

Last Friday, I received my NuCelle 10% Mandelic Acid serum in the mail and started my new regimen that day (March 7th, 2008). It is as follows:

Morning

-NuCelle 10% Mandelic Acid Serum

-Emu Oil on any dry spots

- Biore Pore Minimizing Moisturizer with SPFI now use Dove Moisturizing Facial Lotion with SPF 15

- Everyday MineralsL'oreal True Match color Concealer & Almay compact

-Yaz (Controls Hormonal Acne)

Day

-1 Zinc Tablet (50mg)<--discontinued. Did not see a difference at all.

Evening

-Wash with DKR Facewash

-NuCelle 10% Mandelic Acid Serum

-Emu Oil at times

-Cetaphil Lotion

---

After about 4 days with NuCelle, I'm beginning to get my initial breakout. The weird thing about it is that the zits aren't as inflamed as my normal ones are...Maybe this means that they will heal faster! All the reviews I read talked about IB lasting for a few weeks or a month and then amazing changes happened. Hopefully this will be my case too!!

I was sick of products burning my face, and NuCelle doesn't irritate me at all! My fingers are crossed that this will work for my face. If it did, I would finally have a calm, not-red acne-free face! ^_^

Every few days I'll be posting how my face is doing!

This is Day 8 using Nucelle 10% Mandelic Acid serum. My initial breakout consisted of maybe 6ish small pimples. They are very superficial and are going away quickly. My skin is peeling just a little bit today, but extra moisturizer solves that problem.

It feels like my makeup goes on a lot easier...I have no idea if this relates to the serum at all. =P Maybe it's because my skin isn't as horribly dry as it was on BP? The texture of my skin is a lot smoother.

I'll be updating again sometime soon! ^_^

So you can put the emu oil on in the am and it absorbs well enough to put on makeup? I love jojoba and use it at night only due to it being kind of oily. I am up to 15% Nucelle - every other night and I have had a few really dry patches - on chin area where I have had alot of activity and healing. I found that aquaphor on those areas at night over my moisturizer is awesome for me, but looking to order Emu oil too and try instead of jojoba. Where did you order yours?

It is true for me too that my makeup goes on better and stays on better too!

So you can put the emu oil on in the am and it absorbs well enough to put on makeup? I love jojoba and use it at night only due to it being kind of oily. I am up to 15% Nucelle - every other night and I have had a few really dry patches - on chin area where I have had alot of activity and healing. I found that aquaphor on those areas at night over my moisturizer is awesome for me, but looking to order Emu oil too and try instead of jojoba. Where did you order yours?

It is true for me too that my makeup goes on better and stays on better too!

Thanks for the link! I use 10% nucelle in the am for over a month and 15% nucelle every other night for about 2 1/2 weeks and I just started with Green Cream 6 on the other nights. Really like the MA. Made a big difference for me and hope that I can stay away from BP. I had a few monthly big whoppers popped up this month on my chin and I used BP to spot treat at night to make them go away quicker.

I am 37 - so liking the nucelle and using the Green Cream to not only help acne but to help with aging! Hard to find anti aging products that don't make you break out! :boohoo:

Thanks for the link! I use 10% nucelle in the am for over a month and 15% nucelle every other night for about 2 1/2 weeks and I just started with Green Cream 6 on the other nights. Really like the MA. Made a big difference for me and hope that I can stay away from BP. I had a few monthly big whoppers popped up this month on my chin and I used BP to spot treat at night to make them go away quicker.

I am 37 - so liking the nucelle and using the Green Cream to not only help acne but to help with aging! Hard to find anti aging products that don't make you break out! :boohoo:

This is Day 11 of using Nucelle. I'm getting several colonies of small pimples in weird places. There's a cluster on my forehead, inbetween my cheekbones and my nose, and a few isolated pimples on my nose and jaw.

I really don't like these breakouts and they make me nervous, but I'm going to stick with this product for at least a month to give it a full try. Luckily the pimples are very small and superficial, so it's easy to hide them with makeup.

On the brighter side, some of my larger more noticeable redmarks look just a little bit lighter than they used to....Yay!

Have you noticed any difference using Green Cream? I've thought about trying it, but my wallet's tight. If I buy a product, I need to know it does something. =P

This is Day 13 going on 14. I started experiencing some flaking and more breakouts. My face doesn't look that hot right now. >.< For some odd reason, I have great hopes for this product. For now I'm not going to look in the mirror too closely.

Maybe my skin is breaking out quite a bit due to the combination of quitting BP and my pores purging.

This is day 16 of my routine.

New Products I'm now using:

Dove Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15 (Morning) Light, affordable, I like. =)

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Night) - Very moisturizing, but too greasy for the day.

Almay Powder Compact (I like the coverage)

I have a large pimple on the side of my nose and many small ones on my nose as well. There are several on my forehead and at the sides of my nose. The rest of my skin is looking really good. My cheeks/sides of face don't have any new or active acne and the red marks are fading. Same goes for my chin.

I'm hoping that my nose and forehead areas clear up like my chin and cheeks did. ^_^ The large pimple may be due to the fact that I'm on my period and my hormones are wacky. Sorry, too much info. XD

This is Day 19 of my routine. My large zit is beginning to calm down and get a little bit smaller. The many clusters around and on my nose and forehead are beginning to appear less inflamed and less red.

Yay!

Today is day 22 using Nucelle.

The acne on my nose is starting to look better, but I got a new bigger-one right above my lip. It was a blackhead and is finally emerging (yay!). ^_^ It's so cool to actually witness the impurities in my skin emerge....strange, yes. I'd prefer the impurities to leave in other ways than breakouts and such, but I'm just happy that it's being "purified."

Forehead: Only a few small scattered pimples.

Nose area: Clearing up, red spots beginning to fade. Large pimple is flattening.

Cheeks: A lot of blackhead areas bumping up, but no new acne.

Chin/Upper Lip: One medium size pimple beginning on my chin and one larger pimple above my lip.

Hopefully someday it will look like this:

Forehead: clear

Nose Area: clear

Cheeks: clear

Chin/Upper Lip: clear

^__^

Day 24 of MA. Here's my report!

Forehead: All of the small pimples are practically gone. Almost clear! :D

Nose Area: Clearing up nicely. Hopefully the redmark left by the large zit won't stay long.

Cheeks: No new acne. Old redmarks lighter than when I started MA.

Chin/Upper Lip: The huge zit above my lip shrank a tiny bit, but it's still too big for me. >.< The medium pimple on my chin did not grow anymore and is calming down. NEW: It looks like another large pimple is appearing right below my lips. -_- *sigh*

Besides these random large zits, my skin is looking better. =)

Day 26! It feels like it hasn't really been that long.

Forehead: No new pimples and relatively clear.

Nose Area: No active acne but a redmark from the large zit.

Cheeks: I can feel some bumpy areas where pores are surfacing. There are some new, small zits.

Upper Lip: Still have that obnoxious bubble-pimple above my lip. It's beginning to flatter but not quick enough.

Chin: Several medium sized zits have popped out of nowhere (almost literally.) I'm wondering if this is hormonal, because I usually always get worse acne 2 weeks before my menstrual cycle...or it could be purging pores. *sigh*

So the top half of my face is good, but the bottom half is yucky right now. =(

Day 29 is a pretty good one. =)

Forehead: No new pimples and almost clear.

Nose Area: No new pimples...My blackheads actually look like they are working their way out of the pores?? This will be very interesting.

Cheeks: They are pretty clear, but I can see some blackheads forming into little bumps...hopefully they won't all explode into inflamed acne.

Upper Lip: My large zit is now a smaller medium one! Yay! It feels like people stare at it less. *sigh*

Chin: Those really quick to appear zits were also quick to disappear. I'm going to blame them on hormones. All acne is getting smaller and looking a lot smoother.

Woohoo! Mandelic Acid is delivering better than ANY product I have tried. My red marks on my chin that I thought I'd be stuck with forever are a LOT lighter! ^____^ Yay!

Day 34.

Forehead: Clear except for one tiny zit.

Nose Area: A new pimple began to the right of my nostril. I put some BP on it to attempt to keep it from growing huge. There's also one or two small ones.

Cheeks: The blackheads that I noticed were surfacing are coming out even more.

Upper Lip: That persistent zit is finally flattening. A lot smaller now.

Chin: I have three active zits and of course my redmarks that make it look worse. No huge ones!

Overall, I wish my redmarks would disappear overnight, but other than that my face is looking pretty good! No huge zits at the moment. :D

Who here absolutely HATES redmarks more than any other part of acne? *raises hand*

The redmarks are lighter because of the Nucelle though...I just need to give it more time. Processes take time.

Day 39. Overall Skin grade: C+ (haha...I'm going to start grading it! XD)

Redmarks: C

Active Acne: B

---

Forehead: Clear with no visible redmarks. ^__^ W00t.

Nose Area: The new pimple that was forming 5 days ago disappeared without a trace. My nose is clear of active acne. The redmark from my past zit is still quite evident.

Cheeks: Still have lots of visible redmarks and the blackheads are still emerging from my skin. (The cheek skin is so weird and hard to heal!)

Upper Lip: The one zit is almost just a redmark. Yay no bump! Boo redmarks! XD Sorry, I'm tired.

Chin: There's a sudden breakout here. My period is due this Friday, so it might be hormonal. The zits are quite small, but there are maybe 7 of them. X_X

Everything looks pretty good except my sudden breakout on my chin which could be related to my period due this week.

Day 64. Sorry it's been so long! I've been quite busy lately. Here's my report!

Overall Skin grade: B

Redmarks: B-

Active Acne: A-

---

Forehead: Clear. No redmarks.

Nose Area: One new pimple forming (I'm trying to zap with BP). One redmark that has shrunk significantly.

Cheeks: One tiny zit on the right that I zapped with BP. My huge cluster of redmarks are shrinking. They're still noticeable, but they look a lot better than before.

Upper Lip: Clear. There is one redmark that is gradually shrinking.

Chin: Two medium sized zits. My period is due next Friday, and of course I got two lovely presents. I've been putting BP on them and finally they're shrinking. The redmarks on my chin are fading.

Nucelle Mandelic Acid is really helping my skin to look healthier! I love what it's doing, but I'm still getting those few annoyingly medium-large zits especially around my time of the month. Today I placed an order for Paula's Choice 2% BHA (SA) Gel. Somehow I will integrate this into my system and see if it increases my prevention for inflamed acne.

Do some of you feel like a scientist trying out experiments on your skin to find a cure? I feel that way a lot. =P Combine this, try that, add this, take away that...I just want to be clear on my wedding day which is a little less than a year (May 9, 2009). Too bad it lands a week before my period. ;___; I'm praying that I won't have some horrible period zit then. If I do, maybe I'll glam up my zit by putting a jewel or sparkles on it!! Haha! XD Wow. I must be tired, because it actually sounds like a really cool idea to me right now.

Day 69. Arg! I applied Paula's Choice 2% SA to my face a couple times and now I'm beginning to break out on my chin and nose! I'm not sure it it's just an IB or if my skin hates it. X_X I skipped using it today and I'm not sure if I'll use it tomorrow...*pulls hair out* I really want to improve my blackheads, but I don't want to get million more redmarks. =( Blah.

I used Murads SA gel, it did that to me too for a few weeks and then I saw improvement. I ended up loving it as it was the best thing to get the blackheads to the surface. Nucelle just takes more time. I am using this peel - http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?pid=746, every week and it really helps get that layer off that that is hard for me to exfoliate off and lets the topicals get in and get it out faster. It is a manual peel, and it takes some practice to do it, but it really is great. The Esthetician at skincarerx recc to me when I told her my history.

I'm glad to hear that it's probably an IB. There are just a lot of blackheads under my skin that I want to get out. I might brave the IB and use the SA or wait a while and see if my blackheads are any better. How often do you use that peel? It looks very interesting. Does it leave your face very irritated?

Your regimen is very interesting! That's great that you're mostly clear. :D My skin was doing pretty good with just Nucelle, but I cannot suppress those time of the month or really stubborn pimples. Do you have any advice for that? Do you think that SA would help prevent them?

I used Murads SA gel, it did that to me too for a few weeks and then I saw improvement. I ended up loving it as it was the best thing to get the blackheads to the surface. Nucelle just takes more time. I am using this peel - http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?pid=746, every week and it really helps get that layer off that that is hard for me to exfoliate off and lets the topicals get in and get it out faster. It is a manual peel, and it takes some practice to do it, but it really is great. The Esthetician at skincarerx recc to me when I told her my history.

It looks like you have been using Nucelle for a few months, it should start to get better monthly, as it took some time - maybe 3 months before I saw the monthly jaw spots stop coming up so much. If you ask LionQueen or read her threads, she thinks that MA is better, but she uses a different brand, and higher %, not sure if that makes a diff. For me, I think the SA got them to go away maybe quicker, and Nucelle keeps them away??? Check out the thread, as supercoolasianguy is doing both... http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...3702&st=600 - she has some great advice for that - read the last page if you haven't.

I also take Evening Primrose Oil and that is for hormone stuff - it is in capsule form and I try to take 1000 mg/day. Goal is to deal with hormones naturally than go on meds to control the onset of menopause, which seems faraway to me, but really isn't, yuck! It is supposed to help with hormonal acne as well, and pms - which I do have! I am pretty ugly at least 1 day a month - and I mean just being mean!

I really messed with my routine since becoming a member to see what worked for me. Sometimes I did too much and I had breakouts or reactions. I find that combo therapy works well for me. Best results is when I used the SA wash and BP wash in the am - I also have this great exfoliating mitt that I found that to me is better than the baby brush. That really gets the dry stuff off that you get with MA's. I like the Alpha Hydrox in the am vs. Nucelle since I think the wash has enough meds that penetrates and helps me through the day. However, if I have stuff that is popping up, I dab on 2.5% or 10% bp, depending on the size or time of day to help me.

I also tried Green Cream 6 - but didn't see huge results, but want retinol to help with anti aging. The Alpha Hydrox Night ResQ is great as it has retinol and I put it on after an hour or so after the nucelle is absorbed. I wake up with wannabe zits going back down.

I do the peel every week - for a few weeks now. It isn't for skin that can't handle the manual exfoliation as you really have to really roll the product and your skin to get the best results. The only reason why I mentioned the peel is that it "appears" to get the stuff closer to the surface like black heads. I used to have alot of them in the crease of my chin and even on my neck, they are not there anymore. Knock Knock! I also think that many of us with acne deal with skin that doesn't exfoliate well, and that we have to help it along. I think I read some of that on Rodan and Fields website when I tried their other product line "unblemish" (don't try - not good, and more expensive than proactiv)

My gosh, sorry for writing a book! I hope I helped or not! I love your screen name, what does it mean?

Also, do you really love the concealer and compact you are using? Does it stay on through the day?

Take care!

Thank you so much for responding! ^_^ I love it when someone writes a book rather than a short blurb.

I just finished reading through LionQueen and supercoolasianguy's threads. How acids work is so much more clear to me now!

Evening Primrose Oil seems very interesting. Has it helped you with your hormonal problems? Where do you buy yours? Do you use Alpha Hydrox Night ResQ every night?

I feel like I should have replied so much more in depth, but I've had a long day and I'm ready for bed. It's a pleasure to discuss regimens with you! I think I might try giving SA a chance, maybe doing SA in the morning and MA at night. My blackheads need to go away, so hopefully SA will quicken the disappearance of them.

My screen name is Japanese, which I'm not, and it translates to: Cherry Blossom Princess. Sakura being cherry blossom and -hime being princess. Sakura is actually a not so uncommon name in Japan. ^_^

I don't particularly care for the concealer I'm using. It's okay and I'm using it up before I buy a new kind. The stay power is mediocre, and the blendability isn't too great. I really like how the Almay compact powder goes on. It really seems to stick and keeps the shine away a lot longer than other powders I've tried, but the color seems a tiny bit off (only I would notice). That's my only complaint about the powder. I tried the whole MMU deal with Everyday Minerals, but I could never find the right shade and it had no stay power with me. After a while the make up looked weird on me...like it was half rubbed off. It always accentuated my pimples and made me look worse.

What makeup do you use?

I hope your week starts out great! ^-^

It looks like you have been using Nucelle for a few months, it should start to get better monthly, as it took some time - maybe 3 months before I saw the monthly jaw spots stop coming up so much. If you ask LionQueen or read her threads, she thinks that MA is better, but she uses a different brand, and higher %, not sure if that makes a diff. For me, I think the SA got them to go away maybe quicker, and Nucelle keeps them away??? Check out the thread, as supercoolasianguy is doing both... http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...3702&st=600 - she has some great advice for that - read the last page if you haven't.

I also take Evening Primrose Oil and that is for hormone stuff - it is in capsule form and I try to take 1000 mg/day. Goal is to deal with hormones naturally than go on meds to control the onset of menopause, which seems faraway to me, but really isn't, yuck! It is supposed to help with hormonal acne as well, and pms - which I do have! I am pretty ugly at least 1 day a month - and I mean just being mean!

I really messed with my routine since becoming a member to see what worked for me. Sometimes I did too much and I had breakouts or reactions. I find that combo therapy works well for me. Best results is when I used the SA wash and BP wash in the am - I also have this great exfoliating mitt that I found that to me is better than the baby brush. That really gets the dry stuff off that you get with MA's. I like the Alpha Hydrox in the am vs. Nucelle since I think the wash has enough meds that penetrates and helps me through the day. However, if I have stuff that is popping up, I dab on 2.5% or 10% bp, depending on the size or time of day to help me.

I also tried Green Cream 6 - but didn't see huge results, but want retinol to help with anti aging. The Alpha Hydrox Night ResQ is great as it has retinol and I put it on after an hour or so after the nucelle is absorbed. I wake up with wannabe zits going back down.

I do the peel every week - for a few weeks now. It isn't for skin that can't handle the manual exfoliation as you really have to really roll the product and your skin to get the best results. The only reason why I mentioned the peel is that it "appears" to get the stuff closer to the surface like black heads. I used to have alot of them in the crease of my chin and even on my neck, they are not there anymore. Knock Knock! I also think that many of us with acne deal with skin that doesn't exfoliate well, and that we have to help it along. I think I read some of that on Rodan and Fields website when I tried their other product line "unblemish" (don't try - not good, and more expensive than proactiv)

My gosh, sorry for writing a book! I hope I helped or not! I love your screen name, what does it mean?

Also, do you really love the concealer and compact you are using? Does it stay on through the day?

Take care!

Day 72. Adding SA to regimen.

I really don't want to go through another IB, but I'm going to risk it and integrate SA into my regimen. My hopes are that it will speed up the process of getting rid of blackheads and enhance the performance of MA. Wish me luck!!

Overall Skin grade: B

Redmarks: B-

Active Acne: B+

---

Forehead: Clear. No redmarks.

Nose Area: Some tiny ones had formed when I initially tried SA, now they're gone. Two red marks on either side. -_-

Cheeks: Lots of blackheads I'm hoping to get rid of. No active acne. Many redmarks that I wish would go away for forever.

Upper Lip: Clear. The annoying redmark is still there. =P

Chin: One medium pimple. Quite a few redmarks. I wish acne would stop attacking my chin. =(

--------------------------------------------

Tomorrow:

-Try SA in the morning and MA at night (until my skin becomes used to it.)

I just finished reading through LionQueen and supercoolasianguy's threads. How acids work is so much more clear to me now! - I told justamom to read your log - she is sampling BHA's, along with using MA's and may tell you some helpful stuff ! I may order some samples from Paula myself, hearing such great reviews!

Evening Primrose Oil seems very interesting. Has it helped you with your hormonal problems? Where do you buy yours? Yes, it has - I think, or it's just mental! But I do think it helps. You can get it anywhere - they are in gel capsules usually, I think I got my last batch at Walgreens.

Do you use Alpha Hydrox Night ResQ every night? - yes I do, after the nucelle sits in, it doesn't hurt or break my skin out like retinol, though it has .115% of it in there, which is not a bunch but hope it slowly helps. I think it does though. It isn't super expensive either.

I feel like I should have replied so much more in depth, but I've had a long day and I'm ready for bed. It's a pleasure to discuss regimens with you! I think I might try giving SA a chance, maybe doing SA in the morning and MA at night. My blackheads need to go away, so hopefully SA will quicken the disappearance of them. I think that is a good way to go!

My screen name is Japanese, which I'm not, and it translates to: Cherry Blossom Princess. Sakura being cherry blossom and -hime being princess. Sakura is actually a not so uncommon name in Japan. That is a great screen name, I didn't think I would be out here that much, or I would have thought of something more original!

I don't particularly care for the concealer I'm using. It's okay and I'm using it up before I buy a new kind. The stay power is mediocre, and the blendability isn't too great. I really like how the Almay compact powder goes on. It really seems to stick and keeps the shine away a lot longer than other powders I've tried, but the color seems a tiny bit off (only I would notice). That's my only complaint about the powder. I tried the whole MMU deal with Everyday Minerals, but I could never find the right shade and it had no stay power with me. After a while the make up looked weird on me...like it was half rubbed off. It always accentuated my pimples and made me look worse. I have looked at EM several times and never ordered it. I have a hard time with anything staying on for any length of time. I hate it. So I touch up alot during the day, but I am feeling less self conscious about my skin as it is getting better and the summer time brings out my freckles more, even with sunscreen, and I have to have a bit of a tan - yes - it is bad for you, but can't help it!

What makeup do you use? - I am using bare minerals in the am when I get ready in the am. I have the concealer from dermablend that is supposed to stay on forever, but NOT! and I use philosophy minerals, since it is easy to use in the car and I put it on when I am going to be in the sun as it has spf in it and due to the sponge application, and I have some Halo from smashbox. I like that, but it doesn't stay on for long. Since other people have the same prob as us on the org, think it is a battle we will deal with forever- makeup that doesn't stay on oily skin.

I hope your week starts out great! ^-^ You too! Take care! :D