Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnttreadonme900

Finally going to the derm after 5 years

My mom would never take me to the dermatologist. When I first got the outbreaks, it was my first year of high school. My older brother had acne and had leftover topicals and my mom gave me that. It helped a little but didn't totally clear my face.

After junior year, my face got really bad. Cystic acne all along the jawline and other pimples everywhere. My mom still refused to take me to the derm. But when I went for my yearly physical, my doctor put me on minocycline. That cleared my face 95% during the summer. But I stopped taking it when school started because I play soccer and it stressed me out to the point where I would just throw up every morning and the pills made it worse.

After soccer was over, I was able to get back on the pill. And my face cleared again, but maybe only 75%. At least I didn't get any cysts.

I weened myself off the mino, and my face stayed at bay with a few little pimples here and there for about 3 months. Then I had some personal problems and lost 20 lbs and my face broke out again. Not as bad, but enough to put me back on the mino.

After graduating, my face was bad, but not horribly bad. My mom still didn't want to take me and said my face isn't THAT bad and that I would grow out of it.

During the summer, I got a bunch of cysts and started the mino again and they went away. Been on the mino ever since the summer and have gotten two of the biggest cysts of my life since then. One was in november, and the other a week ago.

My face is pretty mild now. Only a few pimples on my chin and jawline. One big cyst next to my mouth. Since I'm over 18, I made my own appointment to the derm and should be going in the next two weeks. I'm hoping to go on another antibiotic or possibly birth control because my acne seems to be hormonal. I wish I had gone a long time ago.

I'm sorry you weren't able to go sooner. I take it your mom didn't have an acne problem, huh? It's difficult for people to grasp the concept of how much this affects our lives unless they've been there or are going through it. My BF is the same way - he doesn't understand why I make such a fuss.

Anyhoo, I'm so glad you're able to go and I hope you find out what will work for you.

I'm sorry you weren't able to go sooner. I take it your mom didn't have an acne problem, huh? It's difficult for people to grasp the concept of how much this affects our lives unless they've been there or are going through it. My BF is the same way - he doesn't understand why I make such a fuss.

Anyhoo, I'm so glad you're able to go and I hope you find out what will work for you.

Surprisingly, she had even worse acne than me when she was my age. I just think she didn't want to spend, or waste, any money on me. She took my older brother when he had it and it was a hassle I guess.

Ahh, I see. It can be expensive, that's for sure. Totally understandable. Best wishes for you. I mean that.

My mom would never take me to the dermatologist. When I first got the outbreaks, it was my first year of high school. My older brother had acne and had leftover topicals and my mom gave me that. It helped a little but didn't totally clear my face.

After junior year, my face got really bad. Cystic acne all along the jawline and other pimples everywhere. My mom still refused to take me to the derm. But when I went for my yearly physical, my doctor put me on minocycline. That cleared my face 95% during the summer. But I stopped taking it when school started because I play soccer and it stressed me out to the point where I would just throw up every morning and the pills made it worse.

After soccer was over, I was able to get back on the pill. And my face cleared again, but maybe only 75%. At least I didn't get any cysts.

I weened myself off the mino, and my face stayed at bay with a few little pimples here and there for about 3 months. Then I had some personal problems and lost 20 lbs and my face broke out again. Not as bad, but enough to put me back on the mino.

After graduating, my face was bad, but not horribly bad. My mom still didn't want to take me and said my face isn't THAT bad and that I would grow out of it.

During the summer, I got a bunch of cysts and started the mino again and they went away. Been on the mino ever since the summer and have gotten two of the biggest cysts of my life since then. One was in november, and the other a week ago.

My face is pretty mild now. Only a few pimples on my chin and jawline. One big cyst next to my mouth. Since I'm over 18, I made my own appointment to the derm and should be going in the next two weeks. I'm hoping to go on another antibiotic or possibly birth control because my acne seems to be hormonal. I wish I had gone a long time ago.

You acne sounds like mine! I used to breakout mainly on my chin and jawline...it was so painful! I went on ortho tricyclen lo about a year ago, and started seeing results after about 4 months. Now I barely break out at all. I think you shoudl really give birth control a try.