Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sammyd

Laser Skin re-surfacing on olive/dark skin

I have quite bad acne scars (ice pick and rolling) on my cheeks after a sudden bout of serious cystic acne that came on out of the blue in July last year.

I am a female 26 and this has caused me no end of grief and can't remember the last time I wore my hair up for fear of exposing my scars.

I was told that I could have laser skin resurfacing to help improve the appearance of my scars but today I visited an NSH surgeon in London who said due to the colour of my skin (I am half persian, half english) that there was every possibility that I would have pigment scarring which would outweigh the benefits of having the laser done.

He said it is also a serious procedure and would mean me having a face like a burns victim for a long time if they are to procede.

I am wondering if as it is NHS, the doc is advised to deter as many people as possible. I am going back in about 8 weeks for a patch test to see how I react to the laser.

I am dreading it in case I am told that indeed I do not respond well and they cannot do anything for me.

Does anybody know anything about this procedure and its side effects on darker skinned people?

I would not risk it at all with your skin type. The laser treatment for acne scars has much risk, down time and very little benefit for anything but the very lightest of scarring. For some reason, the laser is touted as the "gold standard" for acne scar treatment but that is bullshit. I guess because it is easier to use and costs much $$$, it is pushed by some members of the medical community.

I have been told by two dermatologist that specilize in acne scar treatment that the laser is not a good method to deal with acne scars and there is a high risk of hypopigmentation. I would try subscision with fillers first and would not do dermabrasion or laser or any other procedure that affects the surface of your skin.

From experience, i can say NO!!! please dont do it to yourself.

I did, with such bad burns, pigmentation, and i even got more scars i didnt have before.

Please look into other treatments.

G'luck.

I had reservations about laser, and i can tell you this, once its been done, its DONE. Your skin will never be the same.

Maybe look at needleing?

Thank you for your advice. Can I ask what was your skin condition before the treatment and after? Also are you dark skinned?

I have not heard of needling but will look into it. The surgeon told me apart from laser their were no other options, well nothing that would be successful anyway.

Thanks

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. If lasers are not good for acne then what are the good for?

Why do you reccomend fillers also?

Thank you

I have quite bad acne scars (ice pick and rolling) on my cheeks after a sudden bout of serious cystic acne that came on out of the blue in July last year.

I am a female 26 and this has caused me no end of grief and can't remember the last time I wore my hair up for fear of exposing my scars.

I was told that I could have laser skin resurfacing to help improve the appearance of my scars but today I visited an NSH surgeon in London who said due to the colour of my skin (I am half persian, half english) that there was every possibility that I would have pigment scarring which would outweigh the benefits of having the laser done.

He said it is also a serious procedure and would mean me having a face like a burns victim for a long time if they are to procede.

I am wondering if as it is NHS, the doc is advised to deter as many people as possible. I am going back in about 8 weeks for a patch test to see how I react to the laser.

I am dreading it in case I am told that indeed I do not respond well and they cannot do anything for me.

Does anybody know anything about this procedure and its side effects on darker skinned people?

Is it bad that I do not actually know? I was referred by my dermatologist who gave me roaccutain who then referred me to a National Health Plastic Surgeon and he did not give it a specific name. He said it would burn off the top layer of my skin. I did not know there were different types of laser.

you probably wanna know what kinda laser you're dealing with, cuz they have different risks, downtime, etc. then you should do some research on the laser, just to make sure you're confident in your decision whether or not to do it. i think they consider SMOOTHBEAM a laser, but there's no downtime (you have little red spots for a few hours at most). plus, it's relatively safe. then there's a co2 laser, and that's what burns your top layer of skin off. you need bandages for almost a week, cuz you'll be full of blood and pus for about 3-4 days.

there's other lasers (i think fraxel is considered one), but i've never done it, so i don't know crap about it

also, if you're on accutane, you're gonna have to wait at least one year from the date you FINISH accutane. cuz your skin will be sensitive. (some doctors recommend waiting 3 yearz. but i did laser one year after accutane. no problemz).

Have you tried something less invasive first? I had a major bout of severe acne last april-july, I was 26 at that time, and I was left with lots of scars on my cheeks and jawline. It caused me a great deal of distress as well. However, I have seen great improvement after using a retinoid for the last 8 months and just giving it time. I expect more improvement as my scars finish remodeling themselves over the next few months. The scars are still there, but they are smoother and a little less deep. For me, with my olive skintone, I didn't want to risk anything invasive like lasers or deep peels unless I was desperate. And I found that the topical treatment improved them enough that I think I can live with it.