Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AngelC

Stubborn and persistant acne! Help!!!

#-o I am desperate! I will be 29 next month and I have tried everything to clear up my acne. I've been treted by a dermatologist for a few years and...nothing! He put me on Accutane and I was the so-called 2% of the population that could not physically tolerate it. I was having pressure and pain in my head. Needless to say, he took me off of the drug. He then, washed his hands of me and said that there was really nothing that he could do for me. I stopped seeing him and began using ProActive. It has helped for a few years to keep it under control, but my skin is still not clear. I now seem to be getting more blackheads and my pores are getting larger and clogged. I am also getting different types of scarring (icepick, depressed, etc) What can I do to 1) clear up my blackheads, and 2) What can I do to first cleanse, but then shrink my pores? I know that I am asking alot, but I am desperate. I feel like I have nowhere else to turn :-({|=

Hi there.

Your question is in the wrong board, which means that you won't get as many replies as you should. Maya or Oursfan will probably shift it. wink.gif But I'll reply in the mean time.

Firstly we all understand. You are absolutely not on your own. There are many acne sufferers on this board in their twenties and thirties and and and... smile.gif Me personally...I've used accutane, antibiotics, bcps etc etc...I'm 28.

To prevent acne from forming you need to address the following factors a) maintain a balanced and clean skin with an appropriate acid ph b) kill of p acnes c) encourage proper cell turnover.

Following dan's regimen is a good start and I wouldn't recommend it if I hadn't used it myself. (http://www.acne.org/starthere.html) it uses readily available products. It should address a) and b) quite effectively and the result for you would be a reduced number of lesions and clearer and healthier skin.

What it doesn't do is address c). Because you are sufferering from blackheads and clogged pores you need to exfoliate. The best option for you would be a beta hydroxy acid (salicylic acid) product because it is oil soluble and can therefore penetrate inside the pore and clean it out. According to SkinXpert (whose posts are worth a read) you are better to soften up the blackheads with steam or hot towels before applying a bha solution or mask.

Using benzoyl peroxide and salicyclic acid can be quite irritating! So I suggest that you worry about reducing your acne through the regimen or similar first (4-6 weeks) and once you are seeing good results incorporating a bha product as seems sensible. An aha product could be useful in exfoliating your skin surface and improving any red marks and ruddiness. Again you would have to craft it with some care into your routine so as to not to cause irritation.

When your skin is clearer you'll get a better handle on the actual scope of scarring you have...the swelling and redness from active acne can make scars look worse and sadly sometimes better than they actually are.

There are heaps of other treatment strategies worth investigating ie: dietary changes, bcps, spironlactone, vitamin supplementation.

Hope this helps.

Do you want to know what cleared my skin up? Paula Begoun's Skin Lightening Lotion (for real). I guess my skin just needed constant exfoliation. Paula Begoun is VERY meticulous about creating irritant free skin products... so I think her AHA's are the best.

This is of course if the Regimen doesn't work for you.

Hope that helps.