Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
malia

this might help some of you out...

so there was a lot of arguing about slick's suggestion of using only Cetaphil with no water. i e-mailed the doctor (a real one: Dr. Leonard J. Swinyer...look him up online, he's really well-known) that he visited (in Utah) and here is what he said:

Thanks for your email.  Years ago I did a study on topical agents used for the treatment of acne.  (An article about this can be found in the Journal of the American Medical Association, April 25, 1980).  We found in the study that skin dryness was a definite aggravating factor in both the cause and treatment of acne.  Since we have a dry climate in Utah we have found that using Cetaphil liquid as a cleanser instead of soap and water reduces the dryness which can aggravate acne.  I do recommend Cetaphil liquid cleanser as important part of acne treatment,  particularly for patients who live in dry climates.

I hope this is helpful to you.  If I can provide any further information,

please let me know.

Leonard J. Swinyer, M.D.

H-town as well. don't you love how you can't walk out of the house in the summer without getting sticky from all that water vapor? it's like being in the tropics...except there's nothing but cement wasteland.

the only place to live in Texas is AUSTIN!

you might want to consider leaving before June...it starts to warm up in Febuary!

do you think the water here is bad? we have hard-water in our house...not sure there's even soft-water available here. i've visited family friends in Louisiana and their water is soft. it seems that it helps my acne a bit when i go there.

why DID you move from Santa Fe if you don't mind me asking.

i am sorry things didn't work out w/your ex. but you know, it's good you got out of it before things got worse. some people delay the inevitable and end up in the biggest mess of their lives. and no matter what people say, there's still time. at least now you don't have to think about someone else if you decide on the next step. i have a friend who is thinking of giving up medical school if she doesn't get into a school where he is in the same town! (i'd kill her if she gave up her dream).

the reason i asked why you moved back to Houston is that i find it hard to believe that people come back because they LOVE Houston. usually its family ties or jobs. shoot, i sure as hell didn't want to come back here. though i've never been to Santa Fe, i know what you mean. it sounds like that place has character.

what do you think of the houston boys? biggrin.gif personally, i'm still getting used to them....they're a bit more high maintenance than Austinintes and some more than me!

haha this thread has turned into a life-experiences rant.

but back to acne, i just received another response from Dr. Swinyer for what to use in the Houston summers:

In a humid a tropical climate, I recommend a mild soap such as Neutrogena, Cetaphil bar or Dove in place of the Cetaphil liquid.  It is necessary to avoid over-hydrating the skin because overhydration also produces inhibition of the acne follicleto drain.  The surface of the skin (stratum corneum) can absorb over 600 times its weight in water and become boggy and swollen in humid climates.  Therefore, we want to dry the skin somewhat in that situation.

what else are you using besides the Eucerin cleanser? any topicals?

yeah the Cetaphil liquid is weird. i tried it for a few days and it was great. until i decided to rush one day and use Neutrogena Foaming Face wash in the shower and now i'm dry and peeling like it's snowing! (i just started Retin-A Micro). so now back to the non-foaming...

you know they are trying to revitalize the downtown area to be more pedestrian friendly. lol who's going to walk in the sweltering heat??

westheimer, huh? i'll have to check that out sometime. i'm trying to get adjusted here...my bf and i are on a semi-break...and yes, the boys here ARE pretty nice. a lot of them take goooood care of their bodies. coffee-shop boys are adorable. i do find it hard to be more outgoing bc (obviously) i care that i have red marks on my cheeks. ah well. grin and bear it.

oh yeah, i also noticed that a lot of people in L.A. have acne. maybe it's just coincidence, but it seems that this is a side effect of large cities. or maybe it's just because the large population of acne sufferers are due to the large population...

I went to the College of Santa Fe for four years!! I love Santa Fe. Your description of it is right on. Laid back, coffee shops, chill town. Easy to love but easy to get trapped there, too. I like to visit it when I can now.

My skin did seem better there because there is less pollution. But also, because I was more active and got more daily exercise.

matanstelo:

i'm sure it's not as bad as you think. we all spend so much time in front of the mirror we notice every flaw but most people who don't have acne don't even notice because they don't know what to look for! Eucerin or ANY moisturizer would make me break out so sunscreen and all that stuff is reserved for if i have to spend an entire day at the beach. even though products say "non-comedogenic" or anything like that, i think it still DOES block your pores. do you have dry skin?

living inside houston must be heaven. i'm not on my own just yet though i'm going to start looking for apartments soon. how do you start looking? i've tried looking online for apartment locators and such. will someone take you around to look at some complexes?

Monkeypie:

New York is fun too! so much to do!

I dont know if im weird or something or if my cetaphil way back was expired but when I used the stuff my face BURNED and I had to quickly wash it off. But then my neutrogena clear pore scrub with SA didnt burn? :-k