Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crm6360

Describe your self esteem/social outlook while on Accutane

I'd have to guess there's a direct correlation to how u look...

Right now having finished 1 month of treatment, my face is improving in some areas, but still needs a lot of work.... patience comes and goes... my esteem isn't too bad generally, but I have made an effort to avoid social gatherings (church, going out) outside of work.

The biggest thing on my mind is that the office next door where I work just hired this beautiful blonde around my age, and I've avoided that office for about a week... I know I can't do this while I wait for my face to clear up (which will take months)... and I know I should try to be myself.... but it's a psychological war that I'm struggling with right now.

Those of us that come out victorious should be given a purple heart or something from our derms. Seriously.

About 5 years ago I was on a 6 month course of Accutane. I had severe cystic acne. I was so self conscious about the cysts on my face, I rarely went out unless absol. necessary. Thank goodness i was a stay at home mom. I couldn't go on the accutane until I was finished having children because of the birth defects associated with this med. When my youngest turned two I started the accutane. My dr. felt that my hormones might change and my skin would clear. NOT! My skin was horrible from 12 years and up. It was never clear or beautiful. When I turned 22 it became cystic. I will never regret using accutane and recommend it to anyone with heavy cystic acne. I was thrilled to be taking anything that was so strong that I didn't care how long it took. I saw major improvements in 6-8 weeks but did peel terribly. I was extremely dry. My skin felt unreal because I had always been so very oily. I used neutrogena products while using the accutane and also retin A topically. My dermatologist took a very strong corse of action and did tell me I may need a second course. I never went on a second course because I have never had any cysts since I finished the accutane. My skin was clear for so long and almost oil free but i guess all good things wear off. Still I have no cysts but do break out with pimples on a regular basis. I use proactive seems best for me compared to rest of the junk i have used. I use Retin-A every other day and tazorac (on occasion) It burns! I need to switch to the cream cos I feel like i am on fire. Plus how on earth can you just use a pea sized amount-i must have a huge face! Getting back to accutane. I was never depressed or suicidal- are you kidding-i was thrilled to finally be looking good for the first time in my life! My main concern now is how drying the accutane was that I have some wrinkles and scarring no icepicks-thanks goodness. I am looking at all of the posts regarding peels, obagi. GOOD LUCK to you! Your skin will get much better and so will your confidence. It probably won't take as long as you imagine!

I'm sure u can relate to this social dilemma that I face.

Taking her attractiveness out of the equation, I'm really just not in a state of mind to meet and talk to people. I do it with the people I work with because I have no choice. It sucks cuz my personality is quite subdued now with these flare-ups... I still try to be myself but it's requires so much effort.

it's the worst part, you are forced to be someone you are not. Many, many, many gorgeous girls I missed chasing. Accutane, for me, felt like signing a deal w/the devil. For the first time in so long I saw my face and could feel the air on my skin (oil shut down). Couldn't get a pimple if I tried. I thought "what's the catch", that it was too good to be true.....but......when your face is F'ed up, don't be too hard on yourself. I use to think I need to still be social & I would try, but for me the anxiety is crushing, i'd rather wait for better days.

the drug should work for you, do the treatment, and you'll be back on the scene before you know it..... biggrin.gif

I'm sure u can relate to this social dilemma that I face.  

Taking her attractiveness out of the equation, I'm really just not in a state of mind to meet and talk to people.   I do it with the people I work with because I have no choice.   It sucks cuz my personality is quite subdued now with these flare-ups... I still try to be myself but it's requires so much effort.

That's the whole point... there are almost ZERO pretty women where I work, and I live in a small town...

if I dodge this girl I miss my chance...

if my personality is dampened I don't put my best face forward (no pun intended)...

That's the whole point...    there are almost ZERO pretty women where I work, and I live in a small town...      

if I dodge this girl I miss my chance...

if my personality is dampened I don't put my best face forward (no pun intended)...

Actually, I'm not thinking along those lines... just yet.

If I had clear skin and my confidence restored, I would just try to talk her up and see what vibes I receive. Women as attractive as her usually are not available... but if a woman feels attraction, she'll often send those vibes out unless she's 110% satisfied with her current bf.