Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAY 70

This isn't really going anywhere any longer. It's been at least two weeks since I last had any improvement. Not only do I get a lot of actives, but those I get are big, stubborn, and leave huge red marks. Fuck it. This better start working again.

give it about 20 more days...that's when i really started to notice a big difference.

Yeah, it's awesome that you're finally free of actives. Glad to hear :)

DAY 73

Rollercoaster, rollercoaster, roller fucking coaster. I have like 1-2 actives at the moment, plus some leftovers from "former actives" which are disappearing. I've stopped getting my hopes up during good periods though, so I'm just waiting for another doomsday. Feels sweet, though. My back is doing ok, but I doubt I'll be done by the 4th month, which the derm first told me I probably would be. 5 should be more than enough, though. It'd be awesome to be done by the summer, but that won't happen.

Regarding my lifestyle and regimen, I'm probably more sloppy than ever. Still soda+junkfood every day, and I rarely remember to take my zinc, omega 3 and vitamine b+e. I doubt they make any difference any more, but I try to remember my zinc tablets due to all the red marks. I still wash my face twice a day, and never forget my accutane pills. My exams are coming up, but I don't really feel stressed at all. I'm extremely confident that I'll pass all my exams without too much effort. I've attended like 3/100 classes this year (no, not exaggerating), but the rest of my class are retards, so I'm all good. No stress.

DAY 77

Not much to report. Still getting actives, red marks aren't fading, back acne is doing ok. I'll try being smart next week (for once), follow the regimen, drink lots of water and skip the junkfood. I'll also try to cut down on the dairy products, but that's almost impossible for a guy who hasn't eaten anything else but cereal for breakfast the last 15 years.

Are you taking Accutane with fatty foods? I've heard that can help it absorb up to 50% better, but I'm not positive...

You've heard right, and yes, I try.

DAY 81

While there's almost 10 actives on the lest side of my face, there's not even a bump on my right side. Weird. One week until the derm visit. I was honestly hoping to be clean by then, but there's no way I'm walking in that office with no actives. Red marks are slightly improving, though, so I guess my skin looks better to other people. That doesn't really comfort me, heh.

DAY 85

I have my first exam on monday, but got totally addicted to a computer game a week ago. Bad timing, I have studied like 1/3 of the time I planned to study, and obviously I'll need some luck to pass this one. If I don't; early holiday for me, but I risk not getting to study what I want to study next year...

But this is acne.org. Things are still going nowhere. I've had 5-10 actives for about a months now, but the red marks are improving, slow but steady. What's different is that the actives pop up on weird places, not at my usually bad areas. Right now I have one far down on my neck, and one below my ear (?). I have my derm appointment on wednesday, and will have my third and last blood test some time soon. I don't know if I want the derm to tell me to do a 5th month, or tell me that I'm done by july. Would be sweet to be allowed to drink during the summer, but on the other side; I want to be acne free. More than anything.

DAY 91

Approaching 100. Was at the derm two days ago, not the same one as last time. Nice guy. He said I should be clear when I'm out of pills. I have about 150 pills left, which equals 50 days, which equals the end of july. Fine by me. What's weird is that I'm not going back to him after I'm done, but I guess that wouldn't change anything and still cost me 60$.

All my actives are in the same, small area of my face, between the forehead and the left ear. My shoulders are almost clear of red marks, and my back has 2-3 actives. I'm hoping - and expecting to be clean by the end of this month.

DAY 96

Things are getting better. Can't really find any actives at the moment, just old actives disappearing. I've had some major pain in my bones and muscles the last couple of weeks, mostly in my hips, inner thighs and knees. Definitely the worst side effect since the first couple of weeks, it's ridiculously painful from time to time. I'll survive though.

DAY 102

Wow. 100 days. I have about 40 days left until I'm done. Still getting small actives once in a while, but definitely not every day any longer, and there are rarely more than three at the same time. My back has actually worsened the last week, but I'm confident it'll clean up again quick. Got the eye inflammation back, but it was very mild this time so I think it'll be gone by the end of the week. I'd probably kill myself if I had to sit home in my basement all summer. Still ridiculously painful hips, legs and knees.

Good job and keep it up. Acne will be dead and done soon.

Cheers.

DAY 105

This time I'm 100% positive: no actives in my face. Not one. Emtpy. Gone. Defeated.

This is for all of you who have doubts about accutane (not that anyone will read it): the only thing you'll regret is that you didn't do it earlier.

Cheers.

DAY 105

This time I'm 100% positive: no actives in my face. Not one. Emtpy. Gone. Defeated.

This is for all of you who have doubts about accutane (not that anyone will read it): the only thing you'll regret is that you didn't do it earlier.

Jeez, that sounds good to me. xD Congrats on finally getting a clear face!

DAY 108

As expected, the joy didn't last for long, but I don't have words to describe how sweet it felt to be acne free for the first time in 4-5 years - if only for a day or two. Two actives in my forehead now, but they're small and will disappear soon. I've definitely come to a turning point now, and I'm quite sure that I'll soon be acne free for the rest of the cure - and hopefully after that too. The extreme pain in the lower parts of my body has calmed down, and I'm at least able to walk normally again. I've drank like 8 pints or something the last two months, and I'm very confident that nothing will be wrong with my last blood test which I'll take some time next week. I might take some pictures soon too, but I'll probably wait until I'm done. We'll see.

DAY 119

Still not acne free. Two actives in my forehead, and I now doubt that it'll all be gone by the end of this month. All other parts of my face than my forehead have been clean for a long time, though. My neck is struggling a bit, while my back is clear except from the rare occassional ones.

DAY 137

8-9 days left. I've been clean below my eyes/ears for ages now, while my forehead has been struggling for a while. I'm clear, or at least very close to clear at the moment. It probably won't last too long, but hell, I don't have words to describe how satisfied I am with the results.

Guest missyjean130

gratz on the improvement! Good luck for the remainder as well!

DAY 144

With three days left, I get my worst side-effect so far. I can't fucking walk. My left hip is completely destroyed, and I was stupid enough to go out yesterday in massive pain. A 30 minute walk back home was probably one of the dumbest things I've done the last couple of years (which is quite impressive), and when I woke up this morning I couldn't move at all. Fortunately I fell asleep again and was at least able to get out of bed when I woke up again. I'll drop the last nine pills.

Hang in there man, you know you've made fucking great improvement. If by drop the last three you meant skip...why not just take all 3 today and then be done with it?

Hang in there man, you know you've made fucking great improvement. If by drop the last three you meant skip...why not just take all 3 today and then be done with it?

Yeah, going on accutane is one of the smartest things I've ever done, no matter what.

Heh, found out that "drop" meant something completely different in English. Skip was the word, and there are nine pills = three days left. Those three days will make a minimal difference for my skin, while they may make a huge different for my physical form.

Went to see the doctor today, and I've got myself another inflammation. That means that during my accutane course I've had inflammations in my eyes, toe and left hip. Fun. My skin is doing excellent. Got no actives in my face, while there's the occassional one on my back and shoulders. Couldn't be happier with the end result, and I don't regret anything, despite all the physical pain the last five months. I'll make a sum-up later, maybe someone will benefit from reading my experience.

SUM-UP

Side-effects

Month 1:

Ridiculously red skin, extreme dryness the first three weeks. Then I found a better moisturizer than a cheap aloe vera, and suddenly it all went better. A good moisturizer is THE most important thing when you're on accutane. Dry lips, rash on my hands, dehydrated, dry scalp and dandruff. Nothing which couldn't be dealt with, but the redness was annoying because it looked hilarious. Insomnia and fucked up sleeping patterns wasn't that fun either. After two weeks I got myself an eye inflammation which made my life hell for two months. That's not something you need to worry about though, it's genetic and I've had it several times before the tane too.

Month 2:

The new moisturizer killed most of the dryness very quick. After 2-3 weeks on it, I stopped moisturizing and haven't touched it since. The eye inflammation disappeared after 50 days or so, which made everything way easier. The rash on my hands returned several times, but some cheap moisturizer got rid of it every time. No problem. Dry lips and painful corners of my mouth.

Month 3:

Except from dry lips, there weren't too much to write about. The rash on my hands kept returning once in a while.

Month 4:

New inflammation, this time in my toe which I've operated twice before accutane due to the same inflammation. Probably not related to accutane, but accutane makes you more prone to inflammations so who knows. My lip balm was still my best friend.

Month 5:

My toe didn't get any better, and it's still red and big and ugly. Also, right before going off accutane I got my third inflammation, this time in my hip. Was unable to walk for a couple of days, and it still hurts badly. It's all good though. Can't work because of it, which means I get to enjoy the last bit of summer home, and I seriously hate my job. Now I'm just rambling. Today I've been off accutane for one week. My lips aren't that dry any longer, I think I use my lip balm 2-3 times a day.

Progression:

Month 1:

In february, the month before visiting the derm, I fucked up my skin on purpose (which proves that diet and accutane is related). I kinda regret it now because of all the red marks it left me, but on the other hand, I would be devastated if the derm gave me something else than accutane. Anyways. Started off with about 150 actives (wild guess, but I think it's somewhat accurate), and naturally saw improvements from day 1 because I changed my diet etc.

Month 2:

An extreme rollercoaster followed. One day I could wake up with about 5 actives, while the next day it could be 25. In the start of month 2 I was down to 20-25 actives, and it stayed around that amount for a while. You'll find progression pictures on april 17th. Had a very bad outbreak on my back at the end of the month were almost 10 huge and painful cysts popped up within a couple of days. I got my first "wow, your skin has become so much better"-comment this month. It felt fucking awesome.

Month 3:

I was now down to 5-15 actives, depending on the day. I stayed around this amount for quite a while, until the beginning of month 5 I think. There were days where I thought this might wouldn't clear me up after all, but this was where the support from some people on here came to use. Experimented with some BP once in this month. Haha. Woke up with 10 actives in my forehead, which was the only area I used the BP on. Don't use BP on accutane.

Month 4:

The progression was very slow in month 3 and 4, but I got down to 0-5 actives this month. Rarely 0, rarely above 5. My forehead and jawline was struggling while my cheeks have basically been clean since month 4.

Month 5:

Jawline cleared up. My forehead had the occassional one or two until there was a week left. Have been 100% clear for two weeks now, and I hope it'll stay that way. Accutane has definitely been worth it, even though it's been five painful months due to all the inflammations. I still got a lot of red marks, but they aren't very visible and I the thoughts I had when I had acne, like "she's looking at my face" while talking to people, are gone. I feel acne free. Great feeling.

Alcohol:

The first month I was very careful. Was out twice I think, and barely touched alcohol those nights while drinking lots of water. As time went by, I got more and more careless, but I did have it in mind, though. I think, in total, I drank alcohol around 15 times. I got shitfaced twice, and drunk maybe 5 of them, the rest of of the nights I took it easy. There were never anything wrong with my blood tests. I suggest that you should be way more careful than me, but not stay completely away from alcohol if it's a part of your "normal life". Don't get shitfaced or drunk, and give your liver a two weeks rest if you go out.

Regimen:

Started out with apple-cider vingegar, zink, vitamin B and E plus omega 3. Soon I got careless, though I kept it up for about two months. It didn't help my skin at all, I think, but I recommend it either way because of other health benefits. I'm pretty sure that vitamin B helped with my insomnia, for example.

I'll be very surprised if anyone actually reads all this shit, I know I wouldn't, but if you do and have questions, fire away.

Mentality before, during and after accutane

Before going on accutane, I went through the most life-changing experience of my life when I went from being a depressed person with a shitty personality to a person who can't even feel sadness if I want to and is well liked by most people. This had nothing to do with acne in the first place, but I can bet my left testicle that I wasn't half as bothered by acne the months before going on accutane as most people on here. I didn't let anything get to me. When I was depressed, I used to think that getting rid of my acne would change my life completely, but I soon realized that this was utter rubbish. I even got confirmed that personality counts 100x more than acne right before going on accutane, when my acne was at it's worst. A very pretty girl recently admitted to have feelings for me back in January/February, have a look at the before pics from April 17th and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Anyways. When I was on accutane, I had a shitty life physically. Insomnia, back pain, several inflammations, wasn't able to work out, blabla. The thought of quitting accutane never even crossed my mind. Except from some days where my physical form hit rock bottom, I always believed that I would be clear in the end.

On friday I've been off accutane for two weeks, and clear for almost a month. Is my life any different? Not really. It's nice to not feel digusted by my own mirror reflection, it's nice to not feel that everyone is focusing on my acne all the time (even though they don't). Am I more popular? Do I get more and prettier girls? More positive attention? Am I more outgoing? No. No. No. No. Your personality won't really change by becoming acne free. If you're depressed, hate yourself and everyone around you before going on accutane, trust me. You'll be just as depressed when you're done. People blame acne for their own shortcomings, without realizing that the problem and solution lie elsewhere. I could go on about this for ages, but that's the bottom line.

I read it, it seems to be exactly what I've experienced, except I'm going on another month because I'm still not done with the whole acne vs medicine thing.

Good blog, hope you keep in touch.

HI!

Im from Norway too...

Do you have any before and after pictures?

Im going to the derm this week to get some pills hopefully.

I've used vitamin B5 since January, but im tierd of taking 15++ pills a day and use all my money on this. Im 16 years old and August 20th will be my first high school day.. Before I started on B5 I had pretty much acne, and if im going to be able to get some pills (hopefully accutane) I'll have to stop using B5 and wait 3-4 months to let all my acne come back. I guess you can see the problem here.. Let all my acne back at the start of high scool :/...

Would accutane be worth this?