Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paisly

Getting clearer..signs of hope!

I've just signed up for the boards, but I've been reading them for a couple weeks. They give me hope that someday I'll have Barbie-like skin.

I've had acne since sixth grade. I used to get ridiculed alot for it the first couple of years by alot of people, even my own father. I'm a freshman in college now, 19 years old. I never really cared that much about my face, but everyone in college has PERFECT skin, and they're all just the most beautiful people I've ever known. I've started to become extremely self-consious when I'm around people now, and that's a feeling I've never really had, and it scares me a little.

I always figured that it would just go away, but it didn't. I've tried everything, you all probably know the story by heart. For the past year I was pretty clear, but it seems like since December, I've started getting terrible cystic acne deep under the skin. Now my cheeks are horrible, and it's starting to spread to my forehead and chin. I have mild acne on my chest, but it's starting to get worse.

After reading the logs on here, I decided Accutane was for me. I am supposed to start it within the next couple of days at 20mg every other day, to avoid the initial breakout. I decided to keep an account so I could track my progress. I really do think I'm pretty under all this acne, and I just want everyone to see that.

here is my face. It doesnt look as bad as it really is because i took them on my cell phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...by/sideleft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...y/sideright.jpg

Well, sadly, I haven't started yet. It takes alot longer to get accutane than I thought. But I'm almost positive tomorrow is the big day...!

My skin has been on a roller coaster the past two weeks. First it looked like it was going to clear up on its own, and I didn't get any new pimples for 5 whole days! Then about a week ago, i woke up and there were five new ones - one on my forehead, 3 on my right cheek, and one MONSTER right BETWEEN THE EYES! Those are all red marks now. In the next few days that followed, I gained an army of about TWELVE on my LEFT CHEEK ALONE. Half of those still appear to be active. Also my chest cleared up, but withing the past 3 days has really broken out, about 3 pimples and so many raised blackheads that I'm not even going to bother counting them.

The worst part was yesterday. I was home visiting my family, and I heard my dad say to my brother (whose skin i would LOVE to have), "You're supposed to eat the pizza, not rub it on your face!" I guessed he thought I couldn't hear him since I was upstairs, but I later let my brother know that I had heard our dad's rude comment. Then later we were all in the car going to eat, because it was my last night in town. My dad tried to slip a comment to my mom about how my brother still has "pizza" all over his face from yesterday. But I totally heard him and said, "Well I still have all my ACNE on my face from yesterday, and I didn't even know there was pizza." And they laughed at me. My mom turned around and said, "Oh, Paisly, you just have skin problems. You'll grow out of it."

I'LL GROW OUT OF IT? I just said, "Psh....sure...." and looked out the window. Apparently, she doesn't realize I've been growing out of it for 8 years.

I guess I should mention they don't know I'm going on tane. I feel like it's just another thing they can laugh at me for.

Here are pics I just took.

Right - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...erby/0right.jpg

left - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...Derby/0left.jpg

your story really touched me for some reason. although you probably won't believe me anyway, i'm still going to tell you that a lot of people would kill to have skin like yours. trust me on that one. i don't know how it is that you have the fortune- or misfortune- of being surrounded by people with untroubled complexions, but note that outside of your circle there are countless others who are in the same boat as you. accutane will clear you right up soon enough, and what may be disguised as a curse will undoubtedly reveal itself as a blessing in the long run, because, simply put, acne forces people to dig deep and it changes them for the better. i like who i am now- humbled, accepting, appreciative, nurturing, and so much more- and am scared to think of what i would have been without having ever struggled. i guess what i'm trying to say is that you will eventually acquire a 'barbie' complexion like your peers, and so much more. so cheers to that. sorry if i came off preachy but i wanted to offer words of encouragement from a person who's been there, done that- actually more like lived there.

WOW! After an eternity of waiting, today is the DAY! I took my first pill about 1 hour ago, so nothing to report besides the fact that I started. Got birth control, too, so hopefully that will aid in the process as well. My face looks a mess, and of course i got new pictures for viewing displeasure.

the right - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...Derby/right.jpg

the left - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...oDerby/left.jpg

uggggggggg!

And to pleaseoplease, thank you. I completely agree that I wouldn't be the same person if I had perfect skin my whole life. A good thing happened a couple weeks ago, where one of my friends told me he had an ance "phase" in high school. And this is a very good looking person. It's nice hearing other people's stories; they're words of encouragement.

But I'm so excited! I think I'm going to go outside and run and dance and maybe sing a little. And just wondering, will tane help clear up the residual brown/red spots? I have a lot of those.

thanks!

it's day 3 and i took my 2nd pill about an hour and a half ago. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but yesterday I noticed that my face looked less red than usual! There's no way it would work that fast, right? Two tiny whiteheads popped up on my nose, which is unusual because its usually all blackheads there. Also got some raised bumps around my jawline, but nothing serious.

I hung out with this boy I really like yesterday, and he said he would come over again today. That and all my final projects for school are all I can think about right now (haha..) so maybe I'll write more next time.

update! day 8

i forgot to take my pill yesterday, so i took it today, but today i was going to start taking 20mg a day anyway. WOW have my lips been dry! but i don't know if it's because I accidentally burned my lips with a lighter a few days ago. My lips are always dry, i use chapstick religiously, but yesterday i used a rediculous amount AND drank water constantly and they are still feeling dry. my skin looks absolutely radiant on the parts that dont have acne...but i have 2 huge ones on my left cheek that popped up a few days ago. one of them is really like 3 whiteheads in the same spot...

well, until next time!

Day 17

Ho hum! my skin was looking pretty good 4 days ago, no new ones, but then i kind of broke out. I dont know if it's because it's that time of the month or i'm getting some kind of IB, but i have 3 noticables on my left cheek and 1 on my right with two scab/scars. Some little bumps here and there. Overall a noticable improvement from when I started and was talking about getting 12 new ones in one night! I think my scars are even starting to clear up and the brown spots seem to even be fading, although I don't know if that's due to the tane or just time.

as far as side effects go, my lips have been SO DRY! I apply chapstick 3 layers at a time! My skin is really peely, too. If I so much as dust a finger across my forhead, you can see a trail of peeling skin... Also, I don't know how common this is, but I've been noticing stray, very soft, translucent hairs on my cheeks. I know technically we all have hair all over our bodies, but these are slightly longer and they look like they are being pushed out of the pores. I mean if I pull one it just slips right out. I think it's related to the accutane because don't pimples grow with hair follicles? So maybe these hairs have to do with clogged pores?

also i should mention that i drink...alot. I mean I'm pretty much a borderline alchy, and I know I'm really fucking myself up. So I think I'm going to try to stop for as long as I can. I mean I was serious about quitting for tane when I started, but now I figure it will make the process quicker and more effective if I just stop drinking.

well, until next time!

Day 20!

Finally for the first time since I've started taking accutane, I've started to realize the difference in my skin! I keep catching myself in mirrors and thinking, "Wow, i look pretty today.." but now i realize how much better my skin has gotten. Yesterday my best friend turned and looked at me and said "Oh paisly! Your skin is looking so much better! I can just see all the spots fading away!" She knows I'm on some kind of pill for my acne, but she doesn't know it's tane.

Bad news, though. My eyesight started doing something really terrible today. My vision was acting as though I had stared into a bright light, and I hadn't. I couldn't see the whole picture, I could only focus on one thing and everything else was blacked out. Very scary to me. Then I got a terrible headache that wouldn't go away. I tried to go about doing normal things, but I eventually had to come back home and go to bed because it was so painful.

So i DID NOT take my pill today.

But my skin really is looking better and I almost don't believe it! I haven't gotten a new pimple for 3 days! That's wonderful! I still have tiny bumps and residual spots, though, but I'm sure those will get outta here eventually.

Anyways, here's the proof:

Left: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...erby/00left.jpg

Right: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...rby/00right.jpg

Hey, I started around the same time as you and I am also starting to see some improvements.

Hang in there, we will both have clear skin in just a few months :dance:

Your skin is looking a lot better! The eyesight/headache thing is a migraine... I've been getting those once in a while since I turned 14. Strangely, fizzy drinks help your eyesight return to normal. I don't know whether it's safe to take migraine meds while on Accutane, though.

Day 28

I think my skin just keeps improving...! I messed up though, I didn't take my pill friday or saturday because i wanted to drink, then this morning i had 1 new pimple on my left cheek. I popped it right out, though, and now I can barely tell there was a pimple there. Before that, I don't think I had gotten a new pimple in over a week! Still white bumps but less than before. I did a face mask a few nights ago and it really helped with the bumps, but I had to apply lots of moisturizer after it. I think I'm about to do another one.

Yesterday my friend brushed my cheek with her finger and said my skin felt really smooth. I don't think it feels that smooth, but I'm probably alot more critical about it than she is.

And! A couple days ago my dad asked me if I'd ever considered trying to get into modeling... imagine that, my dad who used to call me pizza face growing up and make fun of my appearance, asked me if I considered modeling... he's very strange

and thanks for the supportive comments! I'll remember the migraine and fizzy drinks thing, although it hasn't happened again.

Also, I don't know how common this is, but I've been noticing stray, very soft, translucent hairs on my cheeks.

I've got this too, right on the tip of my nose. Its not something anyone would notice, the only reason I notice it is that if I rub my nose for some reason it feels kind of rough compared to the rest of my skin, which caused me to look really close in the mirror...

I have no idea if they'll go away after you stop taking accutane though. I'd guess so.

thank for all the words of encouragement! phew! it's good to know i'm not gonna start growing a beard or something.

some strange things to report. i've gotten some wrinkles on my forehead. one is really big and the others aren't as noticable. does accutane give you wrinkles? would it be dangerous to use a wrinkle cream while on it? i think it would probably be ok but i was just wondering if anyone else did it. i'm only 19, so i really dont want these wrinkles.

also when i relax my back muscles (lean back in a chair, lay down) they ache alot. I mean... muscles shouldn't ache when you relax them, right?

some more bad news, i got a slight breakout, like 5 noticables on my right cheek all clumped together, and 2 on my left, and one right in the middle of my forehead, like a third eye. So I took 40mg yesterday and today to try and blitz it.

good news, i can see on my nose and around my nose where blackheads are pushing their ways out. I just dont know how to get them all the way out because they are kind of sticking only half way out. maybe they will push themselves out eventually.

good news, i can see on my nose and around my nose where blackheads are pushing their ways out. I just dont know how to get them all the way out because they are kind of sticking only half way out. maybe they will push themselves out eventually.

definitely let them push themselves out naturally. i didn't think mine (i swear i had 100s) would ever go away but they eventually did.

Just wanted to drop by and wish you good luck on your accutane journey! Stay consistent. Strange to me that the dryness has come so soon for you. Took me about a month. Anyway, have a great day!

Day 42!

Has it really been 42 days already? I barely believe it! My skin is looking pretty good, that last breakout is gone, but of course there are still the residual spots. I actually could stand my reflection in my car mirror yesterday! And I'm really holding off the booze, so that probably helps alot.

I have one noticable on my left cheek, but it looks like it's just inflamed skin. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow morning. Like I said, red spots where some used to be, but they don't look all that bad. I mean, compared to what my face used to look like, I would be happy with just this good of skin. I can tell though that one of the red marks is going to be a scar. I guess now the tane will just going to be zapping away those last ones and pushing out the white bumps. Those bumps have become smaller and less noticable, I'm happy about that.

Also, I get tired ALOT now. I feel so lazy because the weather is so hot and sunny, and all I feel like doing is laying down! Blah!

I will definitely post some pictures with my next post!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your face is looking awesome. Can't wait to see the updated pictures :)

Day 57 ??

My skin is looking pretty good! A week ago I got my wisdom teeth taken out, all four of them...and that sucked! Nothing like getting my wisdom teeth taken out to make my lips crack even more! I stopped taking my pills for 4 days surrounding that because I didn't know if it would be dangerous to take accutane when they put you to sleep. But I haven't gotten any new pimples from doing that, hooray! A cluster of black heads popped up on my left cheek, but they're hard to notice, so thank goodness for that! And they're already shrinking.

I did notice though that when I stopped taking it, my back pains went away, and they came back when I started again.

Also worth reporting, I haven't gotten a pimple on my chest or back for a really long time!

And, I was wondering what all of you think about using Sea Breeze Sensitive Skin Astringent.

Well, here are those pictures I promised.

right - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...iscoDerby/2.jpg

left - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Rol...iscoDerby/3.jpg