Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello to all. I first want to thank everyone who has documented your struggles and your successes. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one over the age of 30 who deals with acne on a daily basis. Who would have thought looking like a teenager would be a BAD thing at my age. SO, thank you to all who have been brave enough to share your stories. No matter what age, it's nice to know you're not alone.

Okay, so a bit of my history. I've dealt with acne most of my life, nothing too bad in high school. But it got really bad in my early 20's, with cysts and massive oily skin. Since I've had my children, it has improved. But I still get a few cysts that literally take months to heal. I started getting injections, which helped. Then my Derm. moved and the one who took his place suggested Accutane. I didn't think twice! Sign me up!

I'm on my 15th day of Accutane and it's been okay so far. I take 40mg once a day. My skin has been peeling quite a bit, my scalp extremely itchy and my lips very dry. No joints aches, no headaches. As far as a IB, nothing too severe. A bit more little ones than normal, which have a lingering red spot, but nothing major . . .so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have one, but we'll see. I'm using Cetaphil gentle cleanser for oily skin (I don't like the regular Cetaphil, leaves a film on my skin). Cetaphil Moisturizer and Vaseline, blistex or aquaphor on my lips depending on what is closest to me at the time. I also take Vitamin E (my neighbor's son took Accutane years ago and his doctor said to take E, his skin is still like a baby's years later). I'm trying to drink plenty of water (this is a tough one for me!) And that's about it. I have many questions for my Derm. at the next appointment. Most importantly, 'will a few mimosas at Easter Brunch kill me?'

While I'm a very impatient person, I'm happy to be able to read about others treatments to help me get though the many months of mine. The before and after pics really show me that it will all be worth while! And who knows, maybe someone will read my own Accutane log and it will help them through as well.

Smiles to all!

RECYCLE and be a hero to our Children by saving the Earth!

good luck! i definitely found that reading these logs help me through the days..i even find writing in my own does too, so i hope you keep it up. @ the end of your course, you can spend a day just reading your whole entire progress & see how far you will have come.

by the way, i love mimosas... :D

Day 17!

Thanks for the encouragement, his pumpkin! And best of luck on your wedding plans. And your skin looks fantastic! Wow, a big difference from the first pic!

Nothing really new to report, red spots still staking forever to go away, but no new ones . . . So I guess that's a good thing! I forgot to add a couple of side effects that I've had.

Pro: My hair is soo much better, hardly any oil. I had to wash my hair EVERY morning or else it would be so oily it looked wet by 10am. This began to change by the end of the first week of treatment. I'm very excited about this!

Con: dry nose. Not really bleeding, but very dry. Not a real issue for me, just want to thoroughly document my experience.

Day 20!

Well nothing too exciting to report. No new activity on my face. Just lots of red spots where old ones are still healing . . . which it taking forever! It felt like a cyst was forming on my forehead, but after a few days it just seemed to dry up and never progressed (Thank Gosh!)

Pros so far: My hair is so much better. I know I've said this before, but I'm really excited about this. I have, what I call, Baby hair. Very fine, thin and straight. By the end of the day, it's always flat and lifeless because of my oily scalp. By the next morning, I have to wash it or it literally sticks to itself. Well, my scalp is so much better, that I don't have to wash it (just wet it and dry it) and it's all good. I won't go longer than 2 days w/o washing, but it's nice to know I can now. (washing everyday can't be that good for your hair!)

Cons: Extremely dry nose. Lots of blood when I blow (sorry, a bit gross, I know!) Allergies do not help (tree pollen is crazy here in Texas right now!).

Dry lips, slightly cracked on one side. Equator is my best friend. Works better than anything and gives your lips a pretty shine.

I've been reading about this Everyday Minerals make up, so I decided to give it a try. I've always used Origins, because environmentally and animal friendly products are very important to me, but I'm thinking I need to find a make up that helps show off my flawless new skin (that I'll eventually have . . .). It sounds like this mineral make up is the key. And animal friendly to boot! How can you go wrong. I'll let you know how it goes.

So that's it for now I guess. So far, So good. I'm feeling positive and happy. No body aches or headaches . . .knock on wood! Now if I can just get rid of these red spots . . . any thoughts?

Keep smiling and let that beauty shine through!

And don't forget to RECYCLE!

Welcome to the world of accutane and the .org. I'm also a 37/f but I'm on my second course of accutane. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Good luck to you and I look forward to reading about your progress. Jules