Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

HELP ME! My itchy skin is driving me insane!

My cheeks are bright red, dry, and itch. All of my pimples itch too and the other day my arms were itchy, red, and I developed a rash. What are some common foods that can lead to skin allergies and acne?

It is probably some type of folliculitis. Have a doctor take a look at it, and make sure they look at it under a microscope.

I highly doubt it is food allergies because it usually doesn't come on suddenly, and also should be noticeable with avoiding different foods.

I'm thinking it may be eczema. You should really research eczema, there are lots of different types.

UV exposure is a possible treatment. You might just wikipedia eczema and then possibly go to a tanning salon for a bit of UV light (like only like 3 or 4 minutes at first...then go every other day and gradually add a minute and another minute til you are up to maybe 10 or 15 minutes). Just don't burn! It is relatively common for people with eczema to frequent the tanning salons, so don't be freaked out that its "bad" for you. A good tanning salon will be knowledgable of this.

Good luck!

Thank you for directing me to the site sie and recommending the tanning booth idea! I was actually thinking it was eczema but I do think its caused by a food allergy of some sort and the weather. This is part of what the article on wikipedia stated Recent studies provide hints that food allergy may trigger atopic dermatitis. For these people, identifying the allergens could lead to an avoidance diet to help minimize symptoms, although this approach is still in an experimental stage. [24]

Dietary elements that have been reported to trigger eczema include dairy products and coffee (both caffeinated and decaffeinated), soybean products, eggs, nuts, wheat and maize (sweet corn), though food allergies may vary from person to person.[citation needed]

I did have a cup of coffee the other day. I didnt know that can make eczema worse. I wont drink coffee then

There's definitely a connection. My family has both serious food allergies and skin problems. I mean, in my family you either have it or you don't. My first cousin and Mom and sister and niece have severe allergies and skin sensitivity (rashes, eczema), but me and my brother and Dad and other nieces and nephew have virtually no allergies (hay fever maybe). I have been holding my breath for my son--I'm terrified he'll have allergies, but so far nothing serious. It also seems to appear in the females in my family, but not all of the females--just some.

You'll definitely want to identify and avoid dietary offenders...but sensible tanning might also help to ease the itchiness, if you wanna give it go.

OH! Also, some dermatologist offices have UV lamps so insurance might cover it. But I don't know if the copay would be cheaper than going to a tanning salon. Depends on insurance I guess.

Have you seen a dermatologist? They might know better then us in this case ... and definately better then trying to diagnose yourself.

Remember that the education you give yourself is as important as (or more) what the doc says!

Darn it! I have a rash on my shoulder and I was just scratching it which I know I shouldnt do. I just took a picture of it. I am about to upload it on imageshack.us and then I will post it here

For skin allergies use a vitamin A cream, like Ungvita, or you can use bapathen which is a baby rash cream, or you can use Paraderm which has topical Anesthetic, Antihistmine, Anticeptic, soothing compounds basically it the whole deal. For your face use Aloa Vera like Bannaboat and stop all your acne topical products for a few days.

are you using a new laundry detergent? a few months back i got rashes all over and thought it was food related. i thought i was getting psoriasis or something because i had horrible rashes on my elbows, kness, shoulders, and chest. turns out it was from a new detergent.

Hey Molly,

I have no idea what's causing your rash, but I think colloidal oatmeal is amazing! I had a bad and stubborn eczema rash on my hands and since using aveeno's lotion with colloidal oatmeal it's completely gone! I know that stores carry some bath stuff with colloidal oatmeal in it too, I saw it the other day at cvs...you might want to try that to calm down the stuff on your back and shoulders...I hope you find out what's bothering you!

are you using a new laundry detergent? a few months back i got rashes all over and thought it was food related. i thought i was getting psoriasis or something because i had horrible rashes on my elbows, kness, shoulders, and chest. turns out it was from a new detergent.