Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

skirts, something a co worker and I were discussing

I want to start off by saying that I think how one defines what is overweight is objective...I say this because I know exactly what PalePink means even though some think it sounds ridiculous or down right impossible to be that small and have issues with weight. I think this is more an issue of proportion and comparison. I'm 5'1 and bounce from 105-110. Even at my lowest weight, which was 102 at one point I felt that my lower body was messed up in comparison to my upper half! Everyone tells me I'm tiny (which doesn't even flatter me cause it leads them to thinking I'm years younger than what I am lol) and I'll be the first to admit that I'm skinny on top but I'm more...curvy, I guess, from waist down. In fact, I went boot shopping a few days ago and boots that didn't stretch at the calves would not fit :(. I personally get a little annoyed when I complain about issues like that to people and they just act annoyed and think I want pity! But in reality, I really DO have weight, size, w/e issues from my waist down lol. And jeans are always tighter on my thighs then my waist. At the same time...I think short skirts actually look pretty okay on me because, even though I'm short, I'm proportioned well. My legs are longer than my upper body and my legs are toned enough to wear them. As far as skirts go, I think one's height and the skirts length are the most important factors.

There's something out there for everyone, just have to experiment! And there are certainly exceptions to everything. I think if there's a really tall, super skinny girl and a shorter girl with nice, in-shape legs that the shorter girl would, without a doubt, look better in a short skirt. If the taller girl were to wear a short skirt it would emphasize...the twigginess of her legs x_x sorry. If she was to wear a skirt above the knees though it would look better on her than the short girl.

I didnt mean that in an insulting way. My mom used to wear a 5.5 and then when she had me her shoe size increased to 6-6.5 depending on the manufacturer of course. Compared to her my feet are big and compared to lots of people I know. I work with mostly filipinos/filipinas and even the ones that are my height, most of them wear a size 6 shoe. I have another friend Diane who is 5'9 (she caucasian) and she wears an 8.5. Thast small for my height. I just think for someone who is 5'5, a size 8 shoe just isnt proportane to my height.

I wasn't insulted, I was more saying that we're about the same height with a similar build and yet I view my feet completely differently, and wish I had bigger feet. Just an interesting point of view.

How can you write that? That is not true! That sounds like a stereotype. I dont care who it is, no one looks good in skirts that are nowhere near the knee.

I'm not sure how to take this....I have several skirts that hit above the knee, and I think I look quite good in them...I'm neither skinny nor overweight. Now, if you're talking about micro minis that start somewhere above the pubic bone and end somewhere just below your cheeks, I agree....

But you can definitely wear a skirt above the knee and look fine. The shortest I would personally go is probably halfway between my crotch and my knee, but so long as you don't expose yourself to the whole world, I'm fine with what you wear.

I didnt mean that in an insulting way. My mom used to wear a 5.5 and then when she had me her shoe size increased to 6-6.5 depending on the manufacturer of course. Compared to her my feet are big and compared to lots of people I know. I work with mostly filipinos/filipinas and even the ones that are my height, most of them wear a size 6 shoe. I have another friend Diane who is 5'9 (she caucasian) and she wears an 8.5. Thast small for my height. I just think for someone who is 5'5, a size 8 shoe just isnt proportane to my height.

I wasn't insulted, I was more saying that we're about the same height with a similar build and yet I view my feet completely differently, and wish I had bigger feet. Just an interesting point of view.

Ohhh! Okay, Im glad I didnt make you feel insulted :)

How can you write that? That is not true! That sounds like a stereotype. I dont care who it is, no one looks good in skirts that are nowhere near the knee.

I'm not sure how to take this....I have several skirts that hit above the knee, and I think I look quite good in them...I'm neither skinny nor overweight. Now, if you're talking about micro minis that start somewhere above the pubic bone and end somewhere just below your cheeks, I agree....

But you can definitely wear a skirt above the knee and look fine. The shortest I would personally go is probably halfway between my crotch and my knee, but so long as you don't expose yourself to the whole world, I'm fine with what you wear.

Well, a lot of girls where I live dress totally provocatively and wear super short skirts where they are exposing themselves to the world.

Where do you buy your skirts?

I want to start off by saying that I think how one defines what is overweight is objective...

Don't you mean subjective?

There's something out there for everyone, just have to experiment! And there are certainly exceptions to everything. I think if there's a really tall, super skinny girl and a shorter girl with nice, in-shape legs that the shorter girl would, without a doubt, look better in a short skirt. If the taller girl were to wear a short skirt it would emphasize...the twigginess of her legs x_x sorry. If she was to wear a skirt above the knees though it would look better on her than the short girl.

I am a tall, skinny girl and short skirts look fantastic on me. I get a lot of compliments about my legs. Skirts below the knee don't look as good.

I want to start off by saying that I think how one defines what is overweight is objective...

Indeed, I did. On medications and have a 102 fever...sorry

EDIT: Just looked at your profile, if you look the same you're not nearly as skinny as what I was implying. I'm sure you look wonderful in a short skirt lol

I am a tall, skinny girl and short skirts look fantastic on me. I get a lot of compliments about my legs. Skirts below the knee don't look as good.

You are lucky to be thin. I hate being overweight. I used to be the perfect weight for my height, 135 pounds but then I took Celexa and gained thirty pounds. Fortunately, Im on Wellbutrin now and I think it has helped me lose some of the weight I put on from Celexa

I am 5'7" and I definitely do a good job not showing my weight, which is about 185lbs. Most people think I weigh about 30 lbs less than what I do since I am very conscious of what I wear. I don't have time to go sitting around thinking about being overweight. I can't wear all the styles and that is ok. I do have a bigger chest, and most of my "fat" is in my stomach area. My legs are a good 2 sizes smaller than my waist. I like working out, but I haven't been doing it lately. After shoving a foot of snow, it felt good to get back out there, so I want to get back to the gym. I also suffer from some orthopedic issues from injuries.

I like to eat, but I am healthy. I would feel better when I get back to working out, so if I lose some weight with it, all the better. I am ok with me

I don't wear skirts because of my job, and because where I am, even though inside is always cold. I actually sold all my skirts on eBay because I never wear them.

I also wear a size 10 or 11 shoe and have almost completely flat feet. I think they are fine. I usually find good deals.

I am 5'7" and I definitely do a good job not showing my weight, which is about 185lbs. Most people think I weigh about 30 lbs less than what I do since I am very conscious of what I wear. I don't have time to go sitting around thinking about being overweight. I can't wear all the styles and that is ok. I do have a bigger chest, and most of my "fat" is in my stomach area. My legs are a good 2 sizes smaller than my waist. I like working out, but I haven't been doing it lately. After shoving a foot of snow, it felt good to get back out there, so I want to get back to the gym. I also suffer from some orthopedic issues from injuries.

I like to eat, but I am healthy. I would feel better when I get back to working out, so if I lose some weight with it, all the better. I am ok with me

I don't wear skirts because of my job, and because where I am, even though inside is always cold. I actually sold all my skirts on eBay because I never wear them.

I also wear a size 10 or 11 shoe and have almost completely flat feet. I think they are fine. I usually find good deals.

Are you a female? I thought the size shoe for woman is 10. I never heard of a size 11B. I have the opposite problem. My stomach is pretty flat and most of my weight goes to my legs. I also do not have flat feet. I have incredibly high arches. People think having high arches is better but its really not. I have foot problems too. I have to wear expensive insoles. My shoes always wear down at the heal first and theres pain on the ball of my feet.

I also cannot wear skirts to work. Id look pretty aburd working as a nursing assistant in a nursing home with a skirt on :lol: not to mention the male patients and some male CNAs would probably look up my skirt

Wow, did you read any of my post... and then ask me if I was female?

And yes shoes come in 11 and just about every store has them. I've seen 12-13 at Payless. I think when they get to that size, they aren't very careful with sizing. It greatly depends on the brand. There are more in the last 6-8 years or so.

My mom is a nurse and still wears white dresses, but she is a dying breed.

You know I think that eveybody just needs to try on different skirt lengths and go with what works best for them. I have big calves from years of dancing and ice skating and have always admired girls with long and thin legs. I have to practically get down to 98 pounds before my legs look thin, BUT I have a tiny waist...so there is always something to be thankful for. I look best in either short skirts or really long skirts. Almost anything in between just seems to draw attention to my massive calves. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm just saying that you shouldn't necessarily go by what some beauty style guide tells you - go by what your mirror tells you. AND, don't automatically adopt a current style just because it's what's featured in the latest magazines. Always go for your own personal style and be yourself.

Wow, did you read any of my post... and then ask me if I was female?

And yes shoes come in 11 and just about every store has them. I've seen 12-13 at Payless. I think when they get to that size, they aren't very careful with sizing. It greatly depends on the brand. There are more in the last 6-8 years or so.

My mom is a nurse and still wears white dresses, but she is a dying breed.

That was kind of a rhetorical question. I was just making small talk when I asked if you are a female

Im not a fan of payless. I was talking more about nordstrom and high quality brands of shoes.

You know I think that eveybody just needs to try on different skirt lengths and go with what works best for them. I have big calves from years of dancing and ice skating and have always admired girls with long and thin legs. I have to practically get down to 98 pounds before my legs look thin, BUT I have a tiny waist...so there is always something to be thankful for. I look best in either short skirts or really long skirts. Almost anything in between just seems to draw attention to my massive calves. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm just saying that you shouldn't necessarily go by what some beauty style guide tells you - go by what your mirror tells you. AND, don't automatically adopt a current style just because it's what's featured in the latest magazines. Always go for your own personal style and be yourself.

I know what you mean. I watch the show What Not to Wear sometimes when Im over at my parents house. I cannot watch it on my tv because I do not have that channel but I basically watch the show because Clinton and Stacy are funny. I disagree with them a lot and I think its okay to wear something if its comfortable but not totally stylish. I wear whatever I like regardless if its in style or not.

So you were joking that I was a man because I have large feet... ok then...

And yes, just about every brand has size 11, though I find I fit 10s more in some dress shoes. I know Naturalizers, 11 fits me perfectly. Every brand is different. I'd benefit from a 10.5 in most cases, but it almost impossible to find that.

They have specialty online stores for sizes 10 and up with varying widths, but I find a lot of nice shoes through Bon Ton, JC Penney, and DSW.

And yes, just about every brand has size 11, though I find I fit 10s more in some dress shoes. I know Naturalizers, 11 fits me perfectly. Every brand is different. I'd benefit from a 10.5 in most cases, but it almost impossible to find that.

They have specialty online stores for sizes 10 and up with varying widths, but I find a lot of nice shoes through Bon Ton, JC Penney, and DSW.

What?! Of course not! Like I wrote, I was just making conversation...

Im wearing naturlizers right now actually. They are really comfy! My mom had a cute pair of opened toed ones on the other day.

Im glad you can find nice shoes in your size. My dad can only buy shoes from zappos and at nordstrom.

As kindly as possible, I believe what she means is: Judging from her entire post, you should have been able to tell that she is a woman and that just having large feet doesn't make room to question gender. >.>

Not many people see the question of gender making conversation, especially when the signs are that clear. ^.^;;

As kindly as possible, I believe what she means is: Judging from her entire post, you should have been able to tell that she is a woman and that just having large feet doesn't make room to question gender. >.>

Not many people see the question of gender making conversation, especially when the signs are that clear. ^.^;;

Thank you for reading my explanation as to why I asked that *deep sarcasm* :rolleyes:

I did, Molly, and I was trying to do you a favor by being straight with you and help you understand why she might have taken it the way she did. I don't appreciate me trying to be helpful being met with your sarcasm. I've seen you being involved in a lot of misunderstandings on the forum and I'm just trying to help you out.

I did, Molly, and I was trying to do you a favor by being straight with you and help you understand why she might have taken it the way she did. I don't appreciate me trying to be helpful being met with your sarcasm. I've seen you being involved in a lot of misunderstandings on the forum and I'm just trying to help you out.

Shes the one who misunderstood. I wasnt trying to attack her. I apologized but she didnt want to accept it. Thats not my fault

Molly, do you ever notice how on every thread you start, you wind up arguing with someone? I believe you post for people to agree with you, not for others opinions.

As for skirts, the cut matters more than the length. I've had long skirts that look like crap on me and several above the knee lengths that look amazing.

Now before you ask if I'm 4'9 and weigh 90 pounds, let me add that I'm 5'4 weigh somewhere around 180 +/- (I got big boobs) and thick legs with wide hips. I also wear a size 11/12 narrow shoe.

There are no rules when it comes to fashion, try everything.

Molly, do you ever notice how on every thread you start, you wind up arguing with someone? I believe you post for people to agree with you, not for others opinions.

As for skirts, the cut matters more than the length. I've had long skirts that look like crap on me and several above the knee lengths that look amazing.

Now before you ask if I'm 4'9 and weigh 90 pounds, let me add that I'm 5'4 weigh somewhere around 180 +/- (I got big boobs) and thick legs with wide hips. I also wear a size 11/12 narrow shoe.

There are no rules when it comes to fashion, try everything.

Whatever. That isnt happening. Someone misunderstood me. Lets just drop the subject, okay?

Hmmm, I never thought of that. That is very insightful of you. Next time I buy a skirt, I will pay more attention to the cut and the way the skirt is shaped rather than the length. Thank you

Huh? Im not asking anyone their height.

It really doesn't matter how much you weighed or what height, it's all about the way the outfit is put together. I've seen thin people look chunky and heavy people look thin because of the way their clothes were put together. I have exceptionally huge calves (I can't wear most knee high boots), zero butt, large bustline, and slim hips. If I am not careful, I end up looking like a line backer on top and a walking tree stump on the bottom. Talk about a worst possible combination! But does it prevent me from wearing short skirts? No. What I do is balance out the visual effect. If I wear a short skirt (mid thigh, anything shorter will look trashy on me), I balance the extra show of skin with a long shirt/blouse that's either long sleeved or at least elbow length. If I wear a long skirt, I wear a tight top that comes to just 2 inches below the waist of my skirt. That way my body looks balanced. The key is not to be shy with showing your body, but be selective of what you show.

I also don't wear anything too tight, fitted yes, but never tight. And as a rule of thumb my skirts are either loose or straight, never narrow or tight. Anything tight across the hip and butt area just accenturate my bad points and make me look bloated. I also try not to wear tops that are baggy, because although very comfortable, they also add a lot of width to the body and make the wearer look much heavier. It's ironic, because heavy set people always want to wear baggy clothes thinking it covers the fat, but in truth it only make them look bigger. Where as skinny people wear tight clothes thinking it makes them look wider, but it makes them look even thinner instead.

What really matters as far as how your legs are going to look is that the hem is at a point where your legs are thinner or are getting thinner. If it ends at a point where your legs are thicker or getting thicker, it looks like your whole leg is that thick.

This is why knee length is best for most people. A little longer and it will hit at the widest part of the calf and make you look fat, a little longer still and it will hit where your calves are narrowing and will make you look thinner.

Same can be true above the knee. With me, I have a little flab above the knee so skirts that end just above the knee look terrible, but if they are a little shorter, they hit where my thigh is tapering and make my legs look thinner.

I wonder if I'm the only woman here that isn't comfortable in skirts and dresses? I only wear them when I feel forced to. :shrug: