Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didi78

Desitin and Zinc for cysts!!!!

I am currently using differin which caused an IB consisting of several cysts on my chin. The other day, I felt a new one forming and my fiance told me that he heard that Desitin for diaper rash helps significantly with inflammation and promotes healing of cysts. So I rushed out and bought Desitin from the baby section. It's basically 40% zinc oxide, and since zinc is supposed to be good for acne internally, I thought it couldn't hurt to try it externally.

This is what I did:

1. Spot treated my cyst with tea tree oil.

2. After a few minutes, applied Desitin on my cyst.

3. Covered with band aid.

In the morning after, my cyst was significantly less inflammed and smaller than my other cysts. After a few consecutive days, my cyst never really became a cyst. Now it's just a small, brown hyperpigmented spot (which I'm dealing with separately).

I also started taking a zinc supplement (50 mg zinc gluconate), and I think it also helped significantly with inflammation. Now, I have all my IB cysts under control! :D

I am currently using differin which caused an IB consisting of several cysts on my chin. The other day, I felt a new one forming and my fiance told me that he heard that Desitin for diaper rash helps significantly with inflammation and promotes healing of cysts. So I rushed out and bought Desitin from the baby section. It's basically 40% zinc oxide, and since zinc is supposed to be good for acne internally, I thought it couldn't hurt to try it externally.

This is what I did:

1. Spot treated my cyst with tea tree oil.

2. After a few minutes, applied Desitin on my cyst.

3. Covered with band aid.

In the morning after, my cyst was significantly less inflammed and smaller than my other cysts. After a few consecutive days, my cyst never really became a cyst. Now it's just a small, brown hyperpigmented spot (which I'm dealing with separately).

I also started taking a zinc supplement (50 mg zinc gluconate), and I think it also helped significantly with inflammation. Now, I have all my IB cysts under control! :D

Do you use 100% tea tree oil? I've heard mixed reviews about using undiluted tea tree oil and just dont want to make it worse. Thanks.

Hi Heyo,

I use 100% tea tree oil made by dessert essence. I do, however, dilute it with a bit of water, so it's not full strength. I basically dip a q-tip into tea tree, and then dip it in some water to dilute it. It really depends on your own skin's reaction though, so I would try it diluted first. Some people can handle full-strength. I think a lot of the people who have had bad reactions to tea tree oil may have used too much of it all over their face rather than just spot treating. good luck!

Did the spot you get after worsen because of all the drying of the 2 ointments? Or was this just a standard spot that you always get?

i just put some desitin on my cyst. the skin is very raw but the desitin is supposed to be gentle and soothing, its for baby`s chapped asses so i guess it will be okay. ill post on how it worked

Oh wow! I recently did this too, and it totally worked. However, I use the Aveno brand diaper rash stuff. It's just like Desitin. I actually bought it for razor burn and on a lark, I put it on my face!

Boudreaux's Butt Paste is another zinc based cream that has the most zinc oxide of them all; that and the TTO sound like a strong combo to me! :cool: