Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fifijones

severe acne scarring (red marks)

My 15 year old daugher has SEVERE acne and scarring from acne. The acne has gotten better since she started birth control pills a couple of months ago, but we do not know what to do about scarring. We are sceptical about maybe products, and we are hoping to find some word-of-mouth info. For the acne, she done three kinds of antibiotics, three different dermatogists, proactive, altered her diet, vitamins and herbs. Any suggestions for the scarring? What works???

Thanks !!!!

What makes it severe? Can you tell us about the types of scarring she's got? Thankfully, you're doing something about it while she's young, and while the scars are still (relatively) fresh.

I have never done a message board before, so I hope you can bare with me.

To Sgt pepper - I have looked around some, but I thought I would try to turn directly to other people who have gone through the problem - also when I do searches on the web, companies are most often trying to SELL products, so everybody tells me that THEIR product works. I have learned about papaya and vinegar from reading this messageboard, so I will keep educating myself and also hope that someone might give us some pointers.

And to GoldRex- It is severe in the sense that her is entirely face is covered with scar "spots". The are flat spots and one can hardly see the "normal" skin because the spots are so intense. She covers them up with make-up every day before going to school and takes it off when she comes home.

Yeah I thought this could`nt be real she` only 15 for chris` sakes

The `scars ` you talk about are red marks left by zits, they are not scars.

So many people confuse the two and talk about them as if they are the same problem.

Real scars are indented into the skin like grooves, picks or bites. Red marks will fade with time or accelarated healing by peels ,retin-a, bleaches etc.

whoomph there it is[biggrin.gif/

You have certainly come to the right place!, if you see a treatment that interests you just search for it here and you will learn more about it than most doctors know!

her scars will get better on their own to some degree given a year or so and her red marks will totally disappear, but as for treatments I can recommend Subcision, Isolagen and N-Lite laser, which have worked well so far for my rolling / boxcar scarring, I am still only half way through my treatment.

What not to do: Accutane, this is what gave me the scarring in the first place by making my acne 10 times worse and making my skin very weak / slow in healing. I cannot recomment Laser resurfacing either, it is very drastic, risky and alot of people say their results are average at best. Infact most types of resurfacing are not that great, especially for severe scarring. although I'm sure some people will disagree.

good luck!

--CS

What not to do: Accutane, this is what gave me the scarring in the first place by making my acne 10 times worse and making my skin very weak / slow in healing. 

--CS

fifijones: The acne needs to be under control before starting any scar treatments. I had severe cystic acne in my 20's and the only thing that stopped it was Accutane. I'd tried absolutely everything else.

Thanks for all the positive reponses. I have learned a lot today.

The scars are flat and red, no craters, grooves or indents. I think that when you can't see a persons "normal" skin because of spots, it is pretty severe, but I agree that craters and indents are a lot worse.

Again, this is something I have not dealt with before and according to the doctors, Accutane is the next step and we don't want to go that route.

I do realize that we can't do any scar repair until the acne stops, but as I mentioned earlier, we have seen great improvement in that area over the last month after she started taking the birth conrol pill. We hope that might last.

Oh, I didn't realize you weren't talking about indentations.

I absolutely agree that you should exhaust all other options before resorting to Accutane. It's a very serious drug with very serious possible side effects. I only wish that I had started it sooner because I have severe acne scarring - deep indentations. I hope that you find a solution. smile.gif

Crappy and sick skin I hear you 100%. I hate that drug Accutaine. I have recently seen two people from school who had acne around the same as me (not that bad but noticeable) and now at 27/28 there acne cleared by itself and have no scarring, whereas we who have taken the drug have all these wierd types of scarring. I wish I had of listened to my mum!

In my opinion that drug should only be taken for people with extremely bad cases as I think tamarra said as for those with moderate cases there is a good chance with good diet, sunshine etc it will eventually clear on its own.

fifijones - have you read this thread about acne and diet? : http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=17245

Since it is primarily red marks/hyperpigmentation your daughter is dealing with ... take a look at the following threads:

Vinegar and lemon method

Mandelic acid serum

Both above are relatively mild and won't hurt your daughter's young skin, but both are effective for exfoliating those red marks quicker.

i have the red pitted marks and ive had them for 6 years with no change what so ever so i was thinking of trying that maderma stuff! is it worth it though? is there any other good creams i can try?

I would personally recommend b5 to wipe out any active or future acne see may have. I've dealt with moderate-mild acne for 7,8 years, and b5 is the only thing that has worked in getting rid of it. You can read up on b5 in the "Over-the-Counter" message board section. Once the active acne is gone, then you can go ahead and look for a scar solution.

fifijones:

Accutane was wonderful while i was on it. in 1 month i had radiant skin.

as long as your daughter's blood is monitored EVERY month dermatologists say that it is a good route. all the other emotional side effects like depression were non-existent. if anything i was much happier bc my skin was so nice.

however, if you still don't feel comfortable going that route, try Retin-A Micro. it is Tretonin(sp?) which is close to Accutane (Isotretonin). what Retin-A Micro will do is exfoliate all the dead skin a.k.a. red marks. and it will also prevent new breakouts in the future. you can go to their website: www.retinamicro.com to find more info. they have a toll free number where you can contact them directly. don't e-mail them because i did and all i got was a generic answer about how it works...something they already posted on their website.

best of luck! i know how your daughter feels. at such a young age and having to deal with this problem. it seems unfair, especially when she's trying to "find herself". i've been there and am still there to a certain extent. if there's anything positive about having acne is it makes you see people in different ways.

please ask if you have anymore questions!

Here I go again. I think I started a topic on this stuff way back. Okay I DON'T SELL THIS STUFF and currently don't use it as I hardly ever get breakouts but I used to take it with great success. I remember going on vacation and getting a breakout before we left, within a few days of taking this supplement, it cleared. I think I bought 3 bottles or so and ended up taking it all. My breakouts are less frequent but I must recommend this stuff. I wonder if anyone else here has had success with it??

http://www.myhealthpro.net/cgi-bin/store.p...disp&pid=202021

BTW, I know this stuff is safe cause I was taking it when I found out I was PREGNANT over 4 years ago and my daughter turned out perfect. Of course I stopped after I found out but in either case I know it really worked for me. Maybe it's the combination of ingredients and not just one particular one.