Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elladp

Expensive products worth it?

There are so many different brands out there for acne and i'm trying to figure out if i should just go with something relatively cheap at the drugstore or buy products from a line like md forte or ddf; i mean is it worth it i dunno

i mean in my experience nothing works whether it be expensive or cheap so i was wondering what everyone's else experience is

thanx! i luv this board

ella

I have yet to find an expensive product that was actually worth the price. The most expensive products I use are Paula's Choice, and I only buy those when I really can't find a less expensive alternative. Most of those really high-priced lines are full of crappy products mixed in with one or two decent ones.

No OTC acne products work for me. Clearasil overdried my skin like crazy. It took me a while to find what works for me. I'm using shiseido pureness which is $19.00 a tube at macy's and retin-a from my dermatologist.

There are so many different brands out there for acne and i'm trying to figure out if i should just go with something relatively cheap at the drugstore or buy products from a line like md forte or ddf; i mean is it worth it i dunno

i mean in my experience nothing works whether it be expensive or cheap so i was wondering what everyone's else experience is

thanx! i luv this board

ella

The only ones that work for me so far are Kinerase Clear Skin Line (I have super sensitive skin and acne and can't do BP creams). The other is Over the counter Retinoids (skinceuticals, Replenix and Affirm) which I actually seem to respond better to than RX Retinols. I did retin-a for awhile and was a peeling, scaling mess for months. Some Glycolics work for me and Alpha Hydrox is not that expensive compared to other brands like DDF. I find that the cheap brands are actually too harsh (Clearasil especially) and make me worse. the only BP product I can use is the 10% Oxy Face Wash. I also like Tea Tree oil if it's diluted. there are so many choices out there. I will say that Proactiv and Acne free made my acne ten times worse and dried me out like a raisin.

I'm finding that a gentle cleanser followed by a treatment with SA and a Lotion seems to be the best. I find that exfoliating too much also makes my acne worse. I guess it's just spreading the bacteria around.

Thanx everyone ! for the replies; i'm still undecided as to what drugstore brand cleanser and toner to get; i decided to go with cheaper products then take it from there though who knows i may end up spending more money in the long run

The only ones that work for me so far are Kinerase Clear Skin Line (I have super sensitive skin and acne and can't do BP creams). The other is Over the counter Retinoids (skinceuticals, Replenix and Affirm) which I actually seem to respond better to than RX Retinols. I did retin-a for awhile and was a peeling, scaling mess for months. Some Glycolics work for me and Alpha Hydrox is not that expensive compared to other brands like DDF. I find that the cheap brands are actually too harsh (Clearasil especially) and make me worse. the only BP product I can use is the 10% Oxy Face Wash. I also like Tea Tree oil if it's diluted. there are so many choices out there. I will say that Proactiv and Acne free made my acne ten times worse and dried me out like a raisin.

I'm finding that a gentle cleanser followed by a treatment with SA and a Lotion seems to be the best. I find that exfoliating too much also makes my acne worse. I guess it's just spreading the bacteria around.

In my opinion MD is worth the price. Because of the great texture you can use one bottle for ages and the products actually seem to work for me.

2 Weeks ago i ran out of MD formulations cleanser so i decided to use a cheaper one (Biotherm, still expensive i know). Result: 7 zits richer in one week :doh:

Only the moisturizer i dont like so i use the one of paula`s choice.

But in general; a product being pricy is not a garantuee it will work BUT pricy brands generally use higher quality ingredients then cheap brands do.

Paula`s choice is a good middle road i think... maybe i`ll concern trying the whole line some day (at the moment i`m to scared it will give me a break out and i can throw away everything).

expensive products never worked for me.

the only thing that's done anything for me is apple cider vinegar (internally and externally) in the am/pm, 50mg of zinc a day, and vitamin e oil.

not too shabby on the pocket! :dance:

md forte stuff was pretty good as i remember

also ddf bp is good.

Im not using any products anymore as im trying to perfect my shave before i start adding more shit to my regime.