Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(Posting this here as I know you all use makeup, hope that's ok)

I was persuaded to try Cetaphil cleanser as my skin is red and irritated from BP and Retin-A. However, I use mineral powder foundation, and even after several washes there is still some left on my face.

I've tried switching to less gentle cleansers but they have all burnt and irritated my skin.

Can anyone recommend a gentle but effective make-up removing cleanser available in the UK? (I've tried oil-cleansing but broke out).

Ps. I asked my derm and he gave me a cleanser whose main ingredient was isopropyl myristate! :(

Thanks for your help.

I wear mineral makeup and use oils (a mix of castor, jojoba, and grapeseed) to cleanse my face. It works really well to remove the makeup, my water-resistant sunscreen, and my waterproof mascara. If you like the Cetaphil, try using it with a soft, clean washcloth or sponge. That may help it cleanse and rinse better. Also, unless you really have a problem with foaming cleansers, you may want to try something like Purpose or Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin. I never had trouble removing makeup with those; they just wouldn't get rid of my Shiseido sunscreen.

yeah, cetaphil can be a little tricky to work with. if you use a cloth like wellknell suggested, you should be able to get everything off (just remember to be gentle with it.) i also like using oil. i use a mac's cleanse off oil and love it! i'm not sure what you were using before, but when i use mac, i always follow up with another mild cleanser (like you could use cetaphil after.)

I use mineral foundation and Cetaphil, and what I do is splash my face with warm water and kind of massage my face with my wet hands for a while, massaging more and more water onto it. I get a fair amount of foundation off that way before I use my Cetaphil.

If it's still stubborn, you can try massaging lotion/moisturizer (or johnson's baby oil) into your face, and wiping it off with a tissue. Cheap yet effective.

I was persuaded to try Cetaphil cleanser as my skin is red and irritated from BP and Retin-A. However, I use mineral powder foundation, and even after several washes there is still some left on my face.

I've tried switching to less gentle cleansers but they have all burnt and irritated my skin.

Can anyone recommend a gentle but effective make-up removing cleanser available in the UK? (I've tried oil-cleansing but broke out).

Ps. I asked my derm and he gave me a cleanser whose main ingredient was isopropyl myristate! :(

Thanks for your help.

not sure if it's available in the UK, i'm pretty sure it is, but Purity Made Simple by philosophy is a god send when it comes to cleansers. i swear by it. i do toggle back and forth between the purity and cetaphil and i totally prefer the purity. it removes ALL traces of makeup, including eye makeup, without irritating your eyes. my skin definitely feels cleaner and more refreshed. this is most def my HG cleanser.....

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will give them a try. Kinda scared about putting baby oil on my face but I'm willing to try anything and I trust you guys more than my derm :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will give them a try. Kinda scared about putting baby oil on my face but I'm willing to try anything and I trust you guys more than my derm :)

not sure if it's available in the UK, i'm pretty sure it is, but Purity Made Simple by philosophy is a god send when it comes to cleansers. i swear by it. i do toggle back and forth between the purity and cetaphil and i totally prefer the purity. it removes ALL traces of makeup, including eye makeup, without irritating your eyes. my skin definitely feels cleaner and more refreshed. this is most def my HG cleanser.....

I dont know why people are recommending such expensive products lately. Its something Ive observed. $20 for an 8oz cleanser that we dont even know if it will help our skin, no way would I pay that!

Thank you, all advice is appreciated as I just feel lost with so many cleansers out there and such annoying skin. I'm grateful for any suggestions x

Thank you, all advice is appreciated as I just feel lost with so many cleansers out there and such annoying skin. I'm grateful for any suggestions x

I dont know why people are recommending such expensive products lately. Its something Ive observed. $20 for an 8oz cleanser that we dont even know if it will help our skin, no way would I pay that!

I know I dont know if it works for me or not because Ive never used it. Thats what I wrote =/ I remember going to nordstrom, reading the ingredients, and as I recall, its not a gentle cleanser. No one said you cannot use that cleanser Jai, but lets face it, you make more money than a lot of members on this site. Well, Im assuming you do since youve told me about your job. I dont think an 8oz cleanser would even last me two full months. A lot of members here, myself included are high school students, college students, etc and are on a limited budget and cannot afford that...

Thanks for your help.

I use Lancome's Mousse Clarte cleansing foam. Just one pump, takes all makeup off. Gentle enough for day and night, no tight feeling after I dry. And because I only need one pump to wash my face, one bottle lasts me over 6 months. The only down side is it's $28. But I rather spend that much on a product that lasts and is super effective instead of buying bottle after bottle of the cheap stuff.

I know I dont know if it works for me or not because Ive never used it. Thats what I wrote =/ I remember going to nordstrom, reading the ingredients, and as I recall, its not a gentle cleanser. No one said you cannot use that cleanser Jai, but lets face it, you make more money than a lot of members on this site. Well, Im assuming you do since youve told me about your job. I dont think an 8oz cleanser would even last me two full months. A lot of members here, myself included are high school students, college students, etc and are on a limited budget and cannot afford that...

first of all you have no idea how much $ i make - regardless of what i've told you i've never shared with you how much $ i bring home NOR do you know what expenses i have and what my budget looks like..... don't assume molly - never do that. and how do you know i make more than others on this site? do you have access to their personal financial records and their expenses? if you do, then your comment is justifiable but the fact is that you're speaking for everyone when you should be speaking for yourself in this situation. oh and let me remind you of what you wrote: "$20 for an 8oz cleanser that wedont even know if it will help our skin, no way would I pay that!"

and where did i say that someone said i can't use that cleanser? ill say it again - she asked for recommendations and i gave mine. period. ur entitled to your opinion but u need to speak for yourself and yourself only. if u can't afford that, then YOU can't afford that. don't speak for everyone particularly when you don't know everyone's situations, financial and otherwise.......

this convo is over as far as i'm concerned......

Once I reach home, I normally bathe first so I wash off my makeup then. I don't use anything makeup cleanser, just normal ivory soap to remove my makeup then follow up by my normal cleanser. It removes all my makeup.

i used to use kiss my face olive oil soap (which i still use on the rest of my body.) i started using heavier make-up and found the mac cleanse-off oil to be a more effective remover, but kiss my face works to remove minimal make-up without overdrying the skin.

Hello all

Imagine this if you will....until very recently I was the beauty writer on a UK glossy magazine and I have had terrible skin for about 25 years. I tried Roaccutane about 7 years ago and it helped, but after 3 pregnancies, it was back with a vengeance. I am now back on it, 60mg/day.

What I would say is this - I have been able to try every beauty on the market for free for many years. They all promise wonderful things. I have also had free access to some of the most eminent dermatologists in the UK. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that severe acne is not the result of poor diet or lifestyle. Severe acne needs to be tackled from within, not by applying products externally. If you feel that you have a significant problem, then cut to the chase and see a dermatologist....Roaccutane is often the end of the line for many people. I wish I had not wasted so many unhappy years hoping that the newest cosmetic would magic my skin better. It just won't happen. I have just spent nearly £1500 on my private prescription; it is my last attempt to knock this life-ruling, self-esteem wrecking affliction on the head.

If you are taking Roaccutane, you must try to give your skin a break from 'active' ingredients in moisturisers. I would advise the best thing is to use something like Diprobase cream (about £2.50 over the counter in Boots/pharmacies) as a cleanser....smooth over warm, damp skin, gently massage in, finally rinse off with warm water on cotton pad. Then apply Diprobase cream to clean, dry skin as a moisturiser. For lips, I think Dermalogica's lip and eye multivitamin moisturiser is wonderful (if pricey - try ebay). Otherwise you can't beat Vaseline.

Do not use strong, scented skincare products for now - avoid things such as Clinique and Clarins, Clean and Clear, E45, Nivea etc. They all contain very active ingredients and chemicals which may send your skin mad. The most important thing to focus on is simplicity. Drink water, leave your skin alone and stay positive. Make up is fine, just be gentle removing it. Personally I recommend Chanel Vitalumiere foundation (they do several types of cover from sheer to thick!) and Lancome undereye concealer (in tube) to use as a spot concealer. That's just my opinion as an avid makeup person!

I have read so many of your blogs - most people here are in their 20s, and hope that their acne will eventually subside with age. Mine didn't - i do think it is a real disability having adult acne. Beg, steal or borrow enough to see a derm privately if you have to. Or Go to your GP and ask for a referral, but DO IT NOW. Don't waste years like I did. Best of luck. And don't believe any of the beauty hype. It is all bunkum ! (I should know, I was on the inside and contributed to it).

I use make up that is pretty hard to get off... here is what I do, I know its all avaliable in the UK cuz I recently just came back from a trip to Scotland so you should be able to find it at a Boots.

Anyways this is what i do (I am also using retisol-a cream)

I start out by applying (lightly massaging) a dollar size (or a pound in your case) Jouviance (or any type of milk type cleanser you can find) to all areas of my face that have make-up leave it one for about 1 to 2 minutes and it will soften your makeup and almost lift it off your skin. (no matter how dry it is)

Then put luke warm water on a baby cloth (some you can find are less abrasive so your not scrubing your face with the cloth but just taking off makeup, not skin. ha ha)

Then when my face is still wet I use estee lauders splash away foaming cleanser, put about a pea size in the palm of my hand and rub them together into a lather and then apply rubbing it around my face for about a minute or so. Then depending on how irritated or dry my face is I either just spash off the cleanser or whipe gently away with a cloth that is damp.

I find the estee lauder cleanser if used in a right amount can last you up to a year, mine has. And its not drying at all and also makes your face feel smoother after a couple of uses.

Works like a charm for me, and I have to wear quite a bit of makeup.

I found that Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash removes my mineral magic fantastically. I used my make-up remover after washing my face, and there was nothing to remove ! lol saves me the money from buying a make-up remover, just use purpose :D not exactly sure if it's available in the UK, it's a Johnson and Johnson product, so may not be hard to find?

Good luck.

I second the Purity Made Simple cleanser. A very light cleanser that really does its job in taking off makeup. Plus it smells lovely and doesn't dry out your skin either!

Purity Made Simple Cleanser

Another cleanser I'm in love with and currently using is Clinique's Take the Day off Cleansing Balm. It's like a wax where when you apply it to your dry face and massage, it breaks up your makeup, making it easy to rinse off. There's no smell to it, but this doesn't dry out your skin either.

Take the Day off Cleansing Balm

Other than that, I do hope you do find your HG cleanser =)