Notifications
Clear all

Adrenal function & hormones.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:13 pm

OK, forgive me if something similar has been posted here lately... I've read so many things, I don't remember. I'm sure this has been mentioned among all the DIM threads...

ANYWAY, I didn't realize 'til just now how crucial proper adrenal function is to having balanced hormones. As I'd much rather get to the root of my problems than rely on any supplement long-term, I'm going to work on restoring my adrenal function.

It seems like getting to sleep early is one of the most crucial things, as well as decreasing stress.

I just read this and I can't believe how much of it applies to me!

Common Causes Of Adrenal Stress

Anger

Fear

Worry/anxiety

Depression

Guilt

Overwork/physical or mental strain

Excessive exercise

Sleep deprivation

Light-cycle disruption

Going to sleep late)

Surgery

Trauma/injury

Chronic inflammation

Chronic infection

Chronic pain

Temperature extremes

Toxic exposure

Malabsorption

Maldigestion

Chronic illness

Chronic-severe allergies

Hypogycemia

Nutritional deficiencies

Associated Symptoms And Consequences Of Impaired Adrenals

Low body temperature

Weakness

Unexplained hair loss

Nervousness

Difficulty building muscle

Irritability

Mental depression

Difficulty gaining weight

Apprehension

Hypoglycemia

Inability to concentrate

Excessive hunger

Tendency towards inflammation

Moments of confusion

Indigestion

Poor memory

Feelings of frustration

Alternating diarrhea and constipation

Osteoporosis

auto-immune hepatitis

auto-immune diseases

Lightheadedness

Palpitations [heart fluttering]

Dizziness that occurs upon standing

Poor resistance to infections

Low blood pressure

Insomnia

Food and/or inhalant allergies

PMS

Craving for sweets

Dry and thin skin

Headaches

Scanty perspiration

Alcohol intolerance

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:18 pm

Look up licorice, herbally helps adrenal.

More importantly, get quality sleep and meditation. Practice stress coping skills and try to get away from toxic relationships.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:23 pm

Licorice, huh? Thanks, I didn't know about that.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:32 pm

LMAO I just read that on Mercola and thought about making somthing like this. It seems stemming from this problem causes Estrogen dominance, thus no need for DIM and the likes. Worth addressing for sure, tbh its not that hard to do.

MemberMember
(@holly_08)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:35 pm

The adrenal glands are probably one of the most influential and powerful glands in the body. Ironically, one of the smallest. I think they should be called another vital ORGAN!--the function they perform are just as important as your lungs brain and liver, IMO. They can give you the boost you need, but they can also kill you as in my case. I had an overproduction of adrenal hormones and acquired Cushing's syndrome as a result--I didn't know it until 1 1/2 yrs ago, but thankfully I am cured and on my way to recovery. But just as much as they can produce so much hormone, they can also deplete--such is the case of Adrenal Insuficiency and you DEFINITELY don't want to have that. I had it once and it wasn't pretty. You don't have to have adrenal disease to acquire it, extreme stress for prolonged periods can definitely play a part. Definitely cut that out of your life. And yes, licorice does help and it is reccommended to adrenally insuficient patients.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:38 pm

The hardest part for me will be getting to sleep early. I have pretty bad insomnia (ironically that is a symptom of adrenal fatigue). So, how to break the cycle???

But one thing I know helps me sleep at night is exercising during the day (especially outside). I don't do it normally because I'm lazy and it's cold out, LOL. I need to just start forcing myself to do it though.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:44 pm

The hardest part for me will be getting to sleep early. I have pretty bad insomnia (ironically that is a symptom of adrenal fatigue). So, how to break the cycle???

But one thing I know helps me sleep at night is exercising during the day (especially outside). I don't do it normally because I'm lazy and it's cold out, LOL. I need to just start forcing myself to do it though.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:47 pm

50-100mg 5htp

1-3mg of Melatonin

500mg Valerain

Chamomile/pepper mint tea

Take this before bed and when you wake up go outside to stop producing melatonin. When your circadian clock starts working on its own drop the 5htp and Melatonin, valarian mix. You should be able to get your sleep cycles under controllike this. Also Meditation daily helps sleep!

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 6:50 pm

"The Mood Cure" is a great book regarding this. I believe it saved me alot of "feeling around in the dark" for an answers to some of my problems. The protocols are easy to follow and worked well for me.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:07 pm

Thanks jodiat!

"The Mood Cure" is a great book regarding this. I believe it saved me alot of "feeling around in the dark" for an answers to some of my problems. The protocols are easy to follow and worked well for me.
MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:21 pm

Thanks jodiat!

Do you mean in regards to insomnia? Or adrenal fatigue?

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:23 pm

Cool, thanks.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/03/2008 7:27 pm

Cool, thanks.
MemberMember
(@bchapais)

Posted : 03/03/2008 9:04 pm

How does one know if they have an adrenal problem? That list could cover any ailment. I don't know many people that can't answer yes to a lot of those ailments. Is there a certain test one can take?

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/03/2008 9:09 pm

Cool, thanks.

I think I will go boost my adrenal now... get my beauty sleep! ;)

MemberMember
(@merf)

Posted : 03/03/2008 9:11 pm

LMAO I just read that on Mercola and thought about making somthing like this. It seems stemming from this problem causes Estrogen dominance, thus no need for DIM and the likes. Worth addressing for sure, tbh its not that hard to do.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2008 10:29 pm

Thread on vitamin C and the adrenals.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=170228&hl=

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/04/2008 2:20 am

How does one know if they have an adrenal problem? That list could cover any ailment. I don't know many people that can't answer yes to a lot of those ailments. Is there a certain test one can take?
MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 03/04/2008 2:43 am

Good question. I know there are blood tests you can get through your doctor... but I have read it is not as accurate as saliva testing. I don't know if that is actually true, though. I'm trying to read more about it now.

I don't think you can do saliva testing through your doctor, but you can order tests online, like here: http://www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html . The 2 cortisol tests would help to determine if you have healthy adrenals or not, but the Adrenal Function Test would be the most ideal one to get.

I don't know if I will bother to get any tests. For me, I think it's pretty safe to say I have some level of adrenal dysfunction given my horrible sleeping habits for the last several years, the fact that I am constantly stressed, etc. But I am not going to be taking a ton of supplements or anything. Mostly just working on sleep and stress, maybe taking a couple of supps like vitamin C which can't hurt.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/04/2008 8:44 am

I think this is pretty much the reason for most of my problems.

I developed hirsutism a year or two ago, and I never knew this before but apparently estrogen dominance/ progesterone deficiency can cause hirsutism!

So adrenal fatigue, plus excess/bad estrogens from the environment, can both cause progesterone deficiency... which can cause acne, hirsutism, insomnia, anxiety/depression..... all of which I have.

Edit: Oh, and menstrual cramps! I get SEVERE cramps, and that can be a symptom too.

MemberMember
(@merf)

Posted : 03/04/2008 8:48 am

I developed hirsutism a year or two ago, and I never knew this before but apparently estrogen dominance/ progesterone deficiency can cause hirsutism!

So adrenal fatigue, plus excess/bad estrogens from the environment, can both cause progesterone deficiency... which can cause acne, hirsutism, insomnia, anxiety/depression..... all of which I have.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/04/2008 8:52 am

Oh yes, it is surely related. Are you using progesterone cream? It is supposed to do wonders for hirsutism.

MemberMember
(@jodiat)

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:02 am

please read this and look close at the table.

http://www.drrind.com/scorecard.asp

interesting and helpful.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:23 am

That is helpful, jodiat. Thanks.

Found this there, for those wondering about getting tested for it:

The typical condition is not severe enough to be picked up with standard test which are designed only to pick up the most severe adrenal fatigue. As the individual is heading in that direction, the standard blood tests will not pick up this transition but the symptoms become quite noticeable with anxiety, cold hands or cold intolerance, poor and/or un-refreshing sleep heading the list of probable symptoms.
MemberMember
(@merf)

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:39 am

please read this and look close at the table.

http://www.drrind.com/scorecard.asp

interesting and helpful.