Notifications
Clear all

creme de la mer who's tried it?

MemberMember
(@natural-girl)

Posted : 03/03/2008 4:33 pm

Hi there,

looking for feedback from people that have tried creme de la mer, both the regular cream that you always read about and or the gel cream for oilier skin?

MemberMember
(@sarah0926)

Posted : 03/03/2008 5:34 pm

way way way out of my budget..i know a lot of stars love it..but thats because they can afford it.

Samuell liked
MemberMember
(@wellknell)

Posted : 03/03/2008 11:42 pm

There's no way I could justify spending that much on a moisturizer, so I definitely haven't tried it. Here's Paula Begoun's review of it, for what it's worth:

'Creme De La Mer is the original product created by Max Huber, as described in the introduction to La Mer. As enticing as this dramatic story sounds, the reality is that this very basic cream doesnat contain anything particularly extraordinary or unique, unless you want to believe that seaweed extract (sort of like seaweed tea) can in some way heal burns and scars. Even if it could, burns and scars donat have much to do with wrinkling, and this product is now being sold as a wrinkle cream. According to Susan Brawley, professor of plant biology at the University of Maine, aoeSeaweed extract isnat a rare, exotic, or expensive ingredient. Seaweed extract is readily available and [is] used in everything from cosmetics to food products and medical applications.a Creme de la Mer contains mostly seaweed extract, mineral oil, Vaseline, glycerin, waxlike thickening agents, lime extract, plant oils, plant seeds, minerals, vitamins, more thickeners, and preservatives. This rather standard moisturizer also contains some good antioxidants, but the jar packaging wonat keep them stable during use. This also contains a skin-stressing amount of eucalyptus oil, as well as Kathon CG, a preservative that is recommended for use only in rinse-off products. Consumers who have a aoesteadfast devotiona to this product are not only wasting their money but also hurting their skin.'

I don't agree with every word Ms. Begoun writes, but her reviews for skincare products are usually spot-on. And, a glance at the ingredient label confirms that Creme de la Mer doesn't contain anything special.

MemberMember
(@palepink)

Posted : 03/04/2008 2:47 am

I have used a sample size tub of it. I think it's a great moisturizer and many people swear by it. My best friend's grandmother has been using it for years and years and she looks as young as my friend's mom.

I had good results with La Mer. My skin was supple and had a glow. It didn't break me out too. I do think it is really overpriced though.

I think I will buy this again when I'm in my mid twenties because right now I'm only 19.

MemberMember
(@natural-girl)

Posted : 03/04/2008 9:54 am

Thanks for your replies guys. And for that Paula's review. I'm just trying to find as much consumer experiences as I can.

MemberMember
(@ninjatoshiba)

Posted : 03/04/2008 4:31 pm

Hahah in january i was justifying if my skin was worth the cream.and honestly ...i don't think i can afford it! It's so over priced for seaweed in a tub (yes over simplifying it).

if he really wants to help women out .he wouldn't price it so high..just a thought...

well i'm gonna go out the lake and find some seaweed and rub it on my face BWAHAHAH

if you do try it out..let us know how it worked....

MemberMember
(@steb193)

Posted : 01/20/2014 1:07 am

I bought the creme de la mer the moisturizer, the serum, the eye cream, and even the lip . They did nothing. I now use argan oil for ALL of those four products. My skin is better now than it was when I used La Mer. Don't waste your $$. La Mer is for people with already decent skin. Not for us.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/30/2014 9:22 am

I swear by my huge $8 bottle of organic safflower oil. I have glowing skin and get compliments all the time, which is startling to me after a lifetime of skin problems. I also have a homemade concoction with te oil, aloe Vera & a niacinimide capsule, but I don't always use it.

MemberMember
(@jamesr83)

Posted : 12/04/2020 12:53 am

I've tried hundreds of creams over the years.

Primarily they either break me out sooner or later, or leave too much shine/oily appearance, or aren't moisturising enough.

Combo skin is a bitch

I actually useLa mer cool gel cream

The regular cream is too heavy. But the gel cream is perfect. I'll never be without it .. well unless one day I can't aford to buy it because it is expensive but I only use a small amount. I've had compliments since using it which is new.

MemberMember
(@samuell)

Posted : 12/21/2020 3:24 pm

this creem is very expensive for me