Notifications
Clear all

Does vitamin e oil really work or just BS?

MemberMember
(@spider-man)

Posted : 03/03/2008 10:23 am

i've been using vitamin e oil for about 4 months now and ive seen very little improvement on my pimple scar and redmarks

i like vitamin e oil for the fact that it does not have side effects like others, peeling/dry/burning caused by mederma or aloe vera gel

does vitamin e oil really work or is it just a marketing bs?

MemberMember
(@hopeseed)

Posted : 03/03/2008 12:42 pm

Here is what I found from using my natural medicines database that I have access through the university:

What naturaldatabase says about Vitamin E when it comes to scarring:

Scarring. Applying vitamin E topically doesn't seem to reduce surgical wound scarring (4721,4722).

Here are the articles they site:

J Burn Care Rehabil. 1986 Jul-Aug;7(4):309-12.

One hundred fifty-nine operative procedures for postburn contractures of interdigital webs (96), the axilla (46), or the neck (17) were prospectively randomized to be treated postoperatively for four months with a topical steroid (Aristocort A), topical vitamin E, or the base cream carrier for these drugs. The nature of the medication was blinded both to the patient and to the evaluator. Patients were followed for one year. Observations were made for range of motion, scar thickness, change in graft size, and ultimate cosmetic appearance. No beneficial effect of either vitamin E or topical steroid could be demonstrated. However, adverse reactions occurred in 16.4% of patients receiving active drug, compared to 5.9% treated only with base cream. Interestingly, the grafts initially contracted and subsequently grew to be a size larger (about 20%) than the original graft by one year. It is concluded that neither topical steroid nor topical vitamin E is effective in reducing scar formation after grafting procedures for reconstruction for postburn contractures.

Dermatol Surg. 1999 Apr;25(4):311-5.

BACKGROUND: Vitamin E is a generic term for a group of tocol and tocotrienol derivatives. Since the discovery that vitamin E is the major lipid soluble antioxidant in skin, this substance has been tried for the treatment of almost every type of skin lesion imaginable. Anecdotal reports claim that vitamin E speeds wound healing and improves the cosmetic outcome of burns and other wounds. Many lay people use vitamin E on a regular basis to improve the outcome of scars and several physicians recommend topical vitamin E after skin surgery or resurfacing. OBJECTIVE: We attempted to determine whether topically applied vitamin E has any effect on the cosmetic appearance of scars as suggested by multiple anectodal reports. METHODS: Fifteen patients who had undergone skin cancer removal surgery were enrolled in the study. All wounds were primarily closed in 2 layers. After the surgery, the patients were given two ointments each labeled A or B. A was Aquaphor, a regular emollient, and the B was Aquaphor mixed with vitamin E. The scars were randomly divided into parts A and B. Patients were asked to put the A ointment on part A and the B ointment on part B twice daily for 4 weeks. The study was double blinded. The physicians and the patients independently evaluated the scars for cosmetic appearance on Weeks 1, 4, and 12. The criteria was simply to recognize which side of the scar looked better if there was any difference. The patients' and the physicians' opinions were recorded. A third blinded investigator was shown photographs of the outcomes and their opinion was also noted. RESULTS: The results of this study show that topically applied vitamin E does not help in improving the cosmetic appearance of scars and leads to a high incidence of contact dermatitis. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that there is no benefit to the cosmetic outcome of scars by applying vitamin E after skin surgery and that the application of topical vitamin E may actually be detrimental to the cosmetic appearance of a scar. In 90% of the cases in this study, topical vitamin E either had no effect on, or actually worsened, the cosmetic appearance of scars. Of the patients studied, 33% developed a contact dermatitis to the vitamin E. Therefore we conclude that use of topical vitamin E on surgical wounds should be discouraged.

MemberMember
(@citizenpanda)

Posted : 03/03/2008 9:38 pm

i've been using vitamin e oil for about 4 months now and ive seen very little improvement on my pimple scar and redmarks

i like vitamin e oil for the fact that it does not have side effects like others, peeling/dry/burning caused by mederma or aloe vera gel

Vitamin E... ... Mederma ... ... Aloe Vera ... ...

Vitamin C ... ... Copper Peptides

MemberMember
(@spider-man)

Posted : 03/03/2008 10:34 pm

im asian too, what has worked for you?

MemberMember
(@citizenpanda)

Posted : 03/03/2008 10:43 pm

im asian too, what has worked for you?

See emoticons ^_^

Vitamin E - probably doesn't do anything

Mederma - Only for hypertrophic scars, may be BAD for hypotrophic scars

Aloe Vera - Great for irritation, won't do anything for scars

Vitamin C (A magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate is good) - For Collagen (and thus scars)

Copper Peptides - Same

Retinoid (Retin-A, Tazorac etc) - Same

Use the above three.

MemberMember
(@boomers)

Posted : 03/04/2008 12:11 am

citizen panda i am in need of your advice and help you seem like a person who is consistent and knowledgeable with scar revision and i feel what has worked for you greatly will also work for me as well

i am also asian (korean) and i am 22 so u see we have our similarities u and I and i think what has worked for you will work for me.

what type of scarring do u have?

so u use vit. C cream retin A ( or retin a micro?) tazorac and copper peptides and take multivitamins and u stay healthy and fit correct? dont u also use vit K. cream and some kind of firming cream at night?

if u could perhaps give me your daily regimen of scar revision that uve seen good results with i would be in ur debt.

also let me kno if that acv method works for u i have tried it but i was not very aggressive like the rest i didnt want to scar myself worse it didnt seem to work for me but i was not aggressive or consistent.

also have u had fraxel or any other kind of laser treatment done? i want fraxel but with asian skin i have heard it is riskier alhtough ive had other laser treatments with no permanent side effects.

so yea sorry for all the questions but your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 08/06/2014 1:39 pm

This is an old thread, but it's the only one I found on Vitamin E. I wanted to add something about taking vitamin E internally. I learned today from my very smart chiropractor that food based vitamin E, like Cataplex E by Standard Process, can clear up acne if it's "hormone" based...wanted to throw this out there. :)