Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KB1992

Sunscreen and Exfoliators durng the Regimen?

I am just wondering, am I aloud to apply suncreen during Dan's regimen? Also, am I aloud to exfoliate once a week? I'm also a bit confused with the BP gel. So I start out with a small amount and slowly use a bit more each day until I am applying it to all parts of my face or do I apply to only areas that are prone or infected? Also after I get cleared, do I still have to apply BP gel two times a day for prevention? Thanks :D

Hi,

You can absolutely apply sunscreen. Just apply it after your moisturizer or over the bp if your sunscreen is moisturizing enough.

As for exfoliating, it's a tough call. Since manual exfoliation can be irritating to the skin, we recommend using an AHA moisturizer if you need to exfoliate, rather than using a scrub or harsh washcloth.

You are correct in that you should start out with a small amount of bp and work up to the generous amount that Dan recommends. You will want to apply it to the parts of your skin that are prone to breakouts. If this is your whole face, then you can apply it to your entire face. If you are only prone to breakouts in certain areas, such as your chin, then only treat that area. Just use it how you need to.

And yes, when you are clear you will want to continue to use it as maintenance to prevent breakouts from recurring.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi,

You can absolutely apply sunscreen. Just apply it after your moisturizer or over the bp if your sunscreen is moisturizing enough.

As for exfoliating, it's a tough call. Since manual exfoliation can be irritating to the skin, we recommend using an AHA moisturizer if you need to exfoliate, rather than using a scrub or harsh washcloth.

You are correct in that you should start out with a small amount of bp and work up to the generous amount that Dan recommends. You will want to apply it to the parts of your skin that are prone to breakouts. If this is your whole face, then you can apply it to your entire face. If you are only prone to breakouts in certain areas, such as your chin, then only treat that area. Just use it how you need to.

And yes, when you are clear you will want to continue to use it as maintenance to prevent breakouts from recurring.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Oki thanks. But how many times per day should I apply BP gel for prevention and what's an AHA moisturizer?

Twice per day, unless you find that you can get by with less than that.

An AHA moisturizer is a moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acid in it, like glycolic acid or lactic acid. We commonly recommend Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion or Lac-Hydrin Five. Out of those two, NHSFL is stronger.

Twice per day, unless you find that you can get by with less than that.

An AHA moisturizer is a moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acid in it, like glycolic acid or lactic acid. We commonly recommend Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion or Lac-Hydrin Five. Out of those two, NHSFL is stronger.

Oki thanks but do you think I can exfoliate using the Shiseido Purifying Cleansing Foam instead of an AHA moisturizer during this regimen? (it's a cleanser that contains granules which exfoliates a bit and I got a fragrance-free version :) )