Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, my acne isn't too terrible. I have my good and bad weeks, but my oily skin is what really bugs me. People are constantly asking me "Why are you sweating dude?" and it's pretty embarrassing. I wash my face twice a day, with Clearasil Facial Gel (2% salicylic acid), St. Ive's Apricot Scrub, and moisturize with Cetaphil. My face doesn't dry out, but I noticed it does if I don't use the Cetaphil.

However, moisturizer or not, my face gets extremely oily. Now, I noticed when I wash my face at night, and wake up the next morning, it's nowhere near as oily as my face is by the end of the school day. I usually try to blot my face with a tissue or something as often as possible, but there's no way I can keep up with it.

Any tips?!

How often do you use the St. Ive's? I find that too harsh for my skin. Maybe you need a more gentle exfoliant. Someone had a topic started here, I think it was Wynne, I can't remember, about using a Baby's Hair Brush to remove dead skin cells. Or even a wash cloth.

Blotting paper. Or paper towels, toilet paper, toilet seat covers...

There are lots of folks here who say a low glycemic index diet helped them, but there's still some scientific debate on that. It can't hurt, though.

To reduce the appearance of oil, you can try wearing a thin layer of translucent powder or a mattifying makeup primer with silicone (Monistat Chafing Relief Gel or Revlon Anti-Aging Primer are two that are relatively cheap and widely available).

I always thought the reason why we wake up with less oily skin is because the oil get on pillows and bed sheets.

I'm having the same problem as you and at loss on what to do. There is a thread in this page about how washing with oil can help... but unfortunately there is no jojoba oil at where I live :(

Well you ARE drying your skin out. Salicylic acid is exfoliating enough, you dont need to use St Ives with it. And also just because you moisturize the top of your skin, epidermis, doesnt mean the inside of your skin, dermis, is not drying out.

Try a regimen of gentle cleanser, clearasil gel, and moisurizer, only using the gel once a day and see how it goes.

I always thought the reason why we wake up with less oily skin is because the oil get on pillows and bed sheets.

The reason you wake up without oily skin is because you are not eating when asleep. Poor digestion is causing the oil.

The reason you wake up without oily skin is because you are not eating when asleep. Poor digestion is causing the oil.

Poor digestion? I'd really love to see the citations on that.

The reason you wake up without oily skin is because you are not eating when asleep. Poor digestion is causing the oi.

diet has nothing to do with your oil production. it has to do with your glands, and some people are more oily then others. changing your regimen can honestly really positively effect your oil production. i changed my regimen and i feel a lot less oil and my makeup stay on perfect all day.

you just gotta find what's right for you

While I definitely understand what you guys are talking about with over exfoliation, here's my dilemma. I've gone through tons of different regimens, and I noticed no matter what, I had oily skin. Now, there's no way I was drying out my skin with Purpose Gentle Cleanser and some benzoyl peroxide spot treatment once a day.

My next problem is, while this could be drying out my face more, this is the only thing that has ever worked. The thing about sleeping makes sense, and while I think I sleep on my back all night, I have no idea how much I move around when I'm sleeping. I know there's the whole debate about diet, but I drink plenty of water, and don't eat anything ridiculously unhealthy often, so either way I don't think it's affecting my oil production.

If worst comes to worst, I'd probably side with oily, acne free skin, but I'd still like to see if there's a remedy to the oil as well.

diet has nothing to do with your oil production. it has to do with your glands, and some people are more oily then others. changing your regimen can honestly really positively effect your oil production. i changed my regimen and i feel a lot less oil and my makeup stay on perfect all day.

you just gotta find what's right for you

The reason you wake up without oily skin is because you are not eating when asleep. Poor digestion is causing the oi.

O_O That's a new one for me, too.

How often do you use the St. Ive's? I find that too harsh for my skin. Maybe you need a more gentle exfoliant. Someone had a topic started here, I think it was Wynne, I can't remember, about using a Baby's Hair Brush to remove dead skin cells. Or even a wash cloth.

Accutane will get rid of that oily skin. I'm pretty sure it pushes all the oil out of the glands then closes the glands up or something. So even when you're finished your dosage, the oily skin won't come back.

Accutane will get rid of that oily skin. I'm pretty sure it pushes all the oil out of the glands then closes the glands up or something. So even when you're finished your dosage, the oily skin won't come back.

Like Accutane, PDT (photodynamic therapy) is supposed to reduce sebum by killing sebaceous gland or shrinking them, well something along that nature. But it didn't for me.... For some of us it's just a waiting game till we start decreasing our sebum production naturally with age. sigh....

I really think accutane should be prescribed for blackheads more; i have two friends who had mild acne and blackheads all over their face and their derms put them on accutane when they were teenagers, yrs ago, and both said accutane completely changed their skin after they finished their course of it. Now neither of them get blackheads anymore; it's like it remodels ur skin or something and i think ppl with non-inflammatory acne should have the option of going on it rather than having a dermatologist always say 'no you don't need' but nothing else really helps!

now that i've ranted anyone know a derm in the nyc area that is more likely to rx accutane for someone with mild acne and blackheads?

Like Accutane, PDT (photodynamic therapy) is supposed to reduce sebum by killing sebaceous gland or shrinking them, well something along that nature. But it didn't for me.... For some of us it's just a waiting game till we start decreasing our sebum production naturally with age. sigh....