Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice On Brown Mark/Hyperpigmentation

Hi

Have attached pictures of the large brown patch on side of my face.

The main part (bit like a Nike tick from my ear and curving up the face) has been there well over 10 years now, but in the past year or so more of the face has got this tea-stain colour.

For the main part of it is not really a problem, only shows when clean shaven and most of the time stubble covers it as only shave once a week.

Really wanting to get rid of the splotchy brown mark more towards my cheek/nose, and if it works on that then maybe I can get rid of the whole lot.

So the point of this post is can someone who has seen this before/dealt with before/knows someone who has etc give me some advice on what you know may work.

I've tried couple of bleaching creams, can't remember first ones name or ingredients, last one tried was Surewhite with kojic acid as main ingredient.

Also tried lemon and cider vinegar both neat and in mask form.

I'm posting asking for advice instead of searching the forums as I've been on the boards almost 2 hours now and have read a books worth of posts. 90% of the posts seem to be people who have found some new product, gonna try it out, let us know how it goes and about 2months/10 pages down the line they disappear from the boards without an outcome of the product....or they start a new post with the next latest product they've found.

There never seems to be any before/during/after pictures either.

Guess I'm just hoping to get some info from those who have seen these sorts of marks before and know what to use. And then I can do what they recommend and take pictures throughout to show progress.

Thanks in advance to any who can help

post-28634-1262269560_thumb.jpg

post-28634-1262269560_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigrepojke

Hi

Have attached pictures of the large brown patch on side of my face.

The main part (bit like a Nike tick from my ear and curving up the face) has been there well over 10 years now, but in the past year or so more of the face has got this tea-stain colour.

For the main part of it is not really a problem, only shows when clean shaven and most of the time stubble covers it as only shave once a week.

Really wanting to get rid of the splotchy brown mark more towards my cheek/nose, and if it works on that then maybe I can get rid of the whole lot.

So the point of this post is can someone who has seen this before/dealt with before/knows someone who has etc give me some advice on what you know may work.

I've tried couple of bleaching creams, can't remember first ones name or ingredients, last one tried was Surewhite with kojic acid as main ingredient.

Also tried lemon and cider vinegar both neat and in mask form.

I'm posting asking for advice instead of searching the forums as I've been on the boards almost 2 hours now and have read a books worth of posts. 90% of the posts seem to be people who have found some new product, gonna try it out, let us know how it goes and about 2months/10 pages down the line they disappear from the boards without an outcome of the product....or they start a new post with the next latest product they've found.

There never seems to be any before/during/after pictures either.

Guess I'm just hoping to get some info from those who have seen these sorts of marks before and know what to use. And then I can do what they recommend and take pictures throughout to show progress.

Thanks in advance to any who can help

Hi!

Since it covers a good portion of your skin already, I would definitely go to a derm and have it checked out. Before successful treatment of any condition can be undertaken, it is imperative you know what it is you are treating. You are only able to buy OTC strength, you have been using the typical skin-bleaching products and have not gotten results, and a doctor will be able to prescribe stronger products which would be more effective. If you want to use other products instead of what the derm prescribed, at least you know what you're trying to treat so you can buy proper topicals.

Since you didn't mention any itching, flaking, swelling or redness associated with it; if I had to guess, I would say that it might be melasma. Melasma causes brown or tan patches on the face, neck, or lips. It is worsened/aggravated by sun exposure. Even though melasma is most common among women who are pregnant, or taking the pill or hormones, men can and do get it.

It is usually treated with hydroquinone, kojic acid, azelaic acid, mandelic acid, even vitamin C. I believe they also use some lasers on it, not sure about that though. However, it is important you use sunscreen because even though you lighten the area, repeated sun exposure will darken it again. BUT, that's only IF it is melasma. For me, I would go to a derm for a proper diagnosis. Then you will be able to get exactly what you need to treat it without wasting money on ineffective treatments.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Hi to both of you and thanks for responses.

I too think it is possibly melasma after searching the net for similar marks on people.

It doesn't itch or rash, not inflamed etc. It's just normal skin texture, just brown. Like a tan in one place.

The treatments I've used have been OTC so more than likely not having any effect at all.

I'm not sure of the cause, had the main body of it a long long time so that may be hormonal but can't be sure. The small bit extended towards the cheek is more than likely caused by the sun, maybe through the DKR and not having sunscreen on when exposed I'd guess. Never had problems with sun damage in past and have lived in some extremely sunny hot places.

It isn't extremely dark so possible it can be faded with peels or something else.

@bran88 - what do you mean by levels? and how do you find these levels?

I've heard of people who do tests where they prick your finger and the blood is analysed to find food intolerances, something similar to that but for hormones?

I'll be taking the advice of JustaMomToo and will go to see a derm to confirm exactly what it is, what may be causing it and what options are available. Got some time off end of March so will try for appointment then. Will update with the outcome/information.

Thanks again and if anyone else wants to add any info in the meantime feel free

Hi to both of you and thanks for responses.

I too think it is possibly melasma after searching the net for similar marks on people.

It doesn't itch or rash, not inflamed etc. It's just normal skin texture, just brown. Like a tan in one place.

The treatments I've used have been OTC so more than likely not having any effect at all.

I'm not sure of the cause, had the main body of it a long long time so that may be hormonal but can't be sure. The small bit extended towards the cheek is more than likely caused by the sun, maybe through the DKR and not having sunscreen on when exposed I'd guess. Never had problems with sun damage in past and have lived in some extremely sunny hot places.

It isn't extremely dark so possible it can be faded with peels or something else.

@bran88 - what do you mean by levels? and how do you find these levels?

I've heard of people who do tests where they prick your finger and the blood is analysed to find food intolerances, something similar to that but for hormones?

I'll be taking the advice of JustaMomToo and will go to see a derm to confirm exactly what it is, what may be causing it and what options are available. Got some time off end of March so will try for appointment then. Will update with the outcome/information.

Thanks again and if anyone else wants to add any info in the meantime feel free

i would advise against using anything with hydroquinone, fyi as i used a product with it for only a few days and it made my hyperpigmentation darker, even with sunscreen over it. it's been banned in many countries because of possible carcinogenic effects.

but definitely check your hormonal levels, etc., with a doctor as justmom has suggested.

Thanks for the advice and support, I'll let you know what I find out and what needs to be done about it.

Tigre

Went to see a derm who offer free consultation. They checked the markings on my face and concluded the main body looks to be Uneven Pigmentation such as melasma. The part moving up to my cheek t-zone they say looks like regular Sun Damaged Skin

They advised micro-dermabrasion with controlled spray of fine crystals and also a skin peel they do called Agera Rx. Total cost is £99 for a session of both and they recommend a monthly visit.

They said the skin needs to shed and new skin come through. Before looking into this brown mark I had started using a salycylic wash which I left on a while followed by a 10% glycolic wash which again I left on before rinsing. Was using this for red marks left after spots, I don't have really bad acne, a doctor actually said in the past I don't have acne at all, just suffer breakouts. Because the skin is marked with red remnants of each breakout it gives the appearance have more active spots than I do. Before using the washes I would have about 1-10 active spots over a few weeks, as a few die down some more would appear, and the cycle went on. Not so long ago I only had 2-3 active spots every few weeks and right now since using those 2 washes this has reduced to just 1.

So the point is these washes have helped shed the skin better which I think is what led to my breakouts before, dead cells clogging my pores. I have also been doing a weekly 50% glycolic peel each week and all my skin is looking a lot healthier. So I plan to finish the recommended 6 weeks of peels and then take a new picture of my brown marks to compare. If I notice they are fading, then I don't need to try this derms more expensive treatment, as the glycolic cost less than 10% of what they want for one treatment. And I don't like to bounce from treatment to treatment, want to see what I am doing now through so I can assess the results at the end.

I did ask about hormonal levels but they didn't know what I was talking about. I'd say they are more of a beauty derm than a medical derm for want of a better term, they deal with surface issues and know very little of the internal issues.

I have in the past asked to be referred to a derm by my doctor but I can honestly say I've had very little support from our medical system. My doctor actually refused as it is cosmetic and I should learn to live with it, it is not affecting my mentality and if it does bother me too much I can always wear make-up. Pretty poor really, not seen a docter for advice since then and that was 2 years back.

In England they seem to want to get you in the office, prescribe anything from a list of recommended medicines and then ship you out the office. Not personal, more about meeting targets.

Did think about faking that it is affecting me mentally so I'd get referred, but I'm naturally a happy go lucky person and my acting ability is dire. And I'm sure there are others with lots worse skin who need the time more than I.

So that is the update so far. On a glycolic note, I looked at another local derms website and for hyper-pigmentation and sun damage they themselves offer a glycolic acid peel of the same strength I use myself and they want £350 for 10 sessions. There are some crazy prices out there for those who don't ask advice and look into it more.

So thankyou to all on the forums who have shared their knowledge and experiences. Saved me a lot of money so far,.........although I'd love to have all the money I've spent on products in the past back :shifty:

I will be looking out for any derms near me who do the hormone levels as I'd like to check that area of cause out.

i've been using a product called meladerm from civant pharmaceuticals on my hyperpigmentation from fraxel, and though it's taking a while (it's only been a month actually) it seems to be working well. you might check out their site. also though it's a lot more money, have you looked into lasers for it? i also am not sure that microdermabrasion would do a lot more for you than regular shaving. they also have microdermabrasion creams you can buy that do just as good a job as in-office procedures. my experience with the procedure about 8 years ago was that it was expensive and didn't do much in terms of improving coloration (and def. only plumped scars). be sure to check out the microdermabrasion threads on the site.

best of luck!

Here is an update

I've been doing the 50% glycolic peel for at least 6wks, if not slightly more. Also washing every day with the SA and GA washes. There is actually very minimal visual peeling, tough skin, but I know peeling is in effect even if can't see it.

The brown mark is not fading.

I went today to a local skin care clinic that has lasers, peels, systems etc to let them take a look and give advice. The consultation is free and they were very friendly. They did not push me to buy anything from them but gave me the options available and let me leave to make my decision.

The consultation was with a cool doctor guy. He gave me a free skin scan which shows up any pigmentation problems on the face with different special lighting. The left side of my face had the clear pigmentation highlighted and I also noticed small freckle sized pigmentation across the whole face that is not visible without this light. He said it will come through eventually but cannot say when as it depends on the skins renewal phase. He also said it might not come through noticeable at all, explaining that the special lights he is using show up more than the naked eye can see. Which I though was good, as I could imagine many other derm/skincare people would try to scare me into treatment. I also noticed where active spots had been the red blemishes showed up massively under these lights, he told me it is damaged skin waiting to be repaired/renewed.

The doctor himself was of asian skintype, he mentioned he had to go to Dubai to see family so guess he is from that neck of the woods. I felt comfortable discussing my skin with him as he told me in the past few months he himself had started getting adult acne. He is about 35-40ish. He also had some pigmentation but less noticeable on him due to it being almost similar colour to his normal skin. He himself is beginning the treatment he recommended me in a month or so after he has gone to Dubai and Hong Kong for some work/holiday, so he can enjoy the sun first and then do the treatment.

So I went there to see about some sort of laser treatment. He told me lasers are mainly used for pigmented lesions and my skin is just pigmented/discoloured, not damaged or broken. So he ruled out the laser as he said it would be little benefit and a waste of money.

He told me he would prescribe me a dermatological system and that there are no guarantees it will work. Said that all the patients he has treated with it have had complete success but that there is no reason I might be "the one" it doesn't work for. He stressed this point professionally to make sure I understood that he is not selling false promises but treatments which have worked well for other people. He also said if it doesn't work then at this moment in time he knows of nothing else on the planet that will, so bottom line is if I use this product and it fails to remove the pigmentation then I have to live with it until some new scientific breakthrough.

However, I'll keep an open mind on that, he cannot possibly know everything in use around the world.

He recommended a system called Obagi Nu-Derm. He explained how it works, that it is designed to penetrate into the skin and, in his words, "smash the surface layer of skin to accelerate the deeper skin cells to come through to repair faster"

So far so normal. Go on any skin rejuvenating website and you hear similar things. The things that have made me decide to try this are as follows

1) It is not just for hyperpigmentation, it can also be beneficial to the whole face it appears. Apart from the pigmentation, my face is a bit ragged from repeated breakouts and there are red marks left behind. The SA and GA have helped somewhat with this, you may be able to tell on the updated pictures the red marks are not as obvious, but still there. Potentially this system could help my whole face. No guarantees of course.

2) The most important. Some of the girls who work there use the system. One had hyperpigmentation on her upper lips and T-zone, I saw pics for before she started along with updated pics throughout her course and then saw her face to face today. Her skin was beautiful and even toned.

The other girl had quite bad acne marks from her temple and all down her jawline, covered both sides of her face. Again before during and seeing her face to face, she has been using the stuff for 2 months and it is almost gone. The redness is no longer apparent and she just has very very mild shallow scarring which is same colour as her skin so it is not noticable much.

2 other patients were in for checkup consultations and they were happy for me to see their results. Both had pigmentation and had been using for some time. One was 6 months in and no trace of a large brown patch she had on her forehead. The other was about 6weeks in and his pigmentation still apparent but it had faded a lot since before he began. if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it on him.

Basically it was great to see people in the flesh as opposed to just pictures.

3) The doctor guy provides free consultation and free follow up consultations all the way through. I checked other local derm/skincare company prices and they charge £60 - £150 just to chat with you.

It is a bit expensive but it lasts 2-3 months, and when I factor in all other products I purchase for skincare each month and multiply by 3 it comes out close. And I want to fix this issue I have with myself so I am going to give it a try.

So there we go people. As per my first post I mentioned I hate it when there is no update so have provided one so as not to be a hypocrite.

I just want to stress that I am not affiliated with this Obagi company and if you want to check out them or their products then no link is provided on this post, use google or something. Just a little disclaimer to be tagged on there in light of the recent spammers on the site.

Any comments welcome, wish me luck

post-28634-1262269532_thumb.jpg

post-28634-1262269532_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigrepojke

Here is an update

I've been doing the 50% glycolic peel for at least 6wks, if not slightly more. Also washing every day with the SA and GA washes. There is actually very minimal visual peeling, tough skin, but I know peeling is in effect even if can't see it.

The brown mark is not fading.

I went today to a local skin care clinic that has lasers, peels, systems etc to let them take a look and give advice. The consultation is free and they were very friendly. They did not push me to buy anything from them but gave me the options available and let me leave to make my decision.

The consultation was with a cool doctor guy. He gave me a free skin scan which shows up any pigmentation problems on the face with different special lighting. The left side of my face had the clear pigmentation highlighted and I also noticed small freckle sized pigmentation across the whole face that is not visible without this light. He said it will come through eventually but cannot say when as it depends on the skins renewal phase. He also said it might not come through noticeable at all, explaining that the special lights he is using show up more than the naked eye can see. Which I though was good, as I could imagine many other derm/skincare people would try to scare me into treatment. I also noticed where active spots had been the red blemishes showed up massively under these lights, he told me it is damaged skin waiting to be repaired/renewed.

The doctor himself was of asian skintype, he mentioned he had to go to Dubai to see family so guess he is from that neck of the woods. I felt comfortable discussing my skin with him as he told me in the past few months he himself had started getting adult acne. He is about 35-40ish. He also had some pigmentation but less noticeable on him due to it being almost similar colour to his normal skin. He himself is beginning the treatment he recommended me in a month or so after he has gone to Dubai and Hong Kong for some work/holiday, so he can enjoy the sun first and then do the treatment.

So I went there to see about some sort of laser treatment. He told me lasers are mainly used for pigmented lesions and my skin is just pigmented/discoloured, not damaged or broken. So he ruled out the laser as he said it would be little benefit and a waste of money.

He told me he would prescribe me a dermatological system and that there are no guarantees it will work. Said that all the patients he has treated with it have had complete success but that there is no reason I might be "the one" it doesn't work for. He stressed this point professionally to make sure I understood that he is not selling false promises but treatments which have worked well for other people. He also said if it doesn't work then at this moment in time he knows of nothing else on the planet that will, so bottom line is if I use this product and it fails to remove the pigmentation then I have to live with it until some new scientific breakthrough.

However, I'll keep an open mind on that, he cannot possibly know everything in use around the world.

He recommended a system called Obagi Nu-Derm. He explained how it works, that it is designed to penetrate into the skin and, in his words, "smash the surface layer of skin to accelerate the deeper skin cells to come through to repair faster"

So far so normal. Go on any skin rejuvenating website and you hear similar things. The things that have made me decide to try this are as follows

1) It is not just for hyperpigmentation, it can also be beneficial to the whole face it appears. Apart from the pigmentation, my face is a bit ragged from repeated breakouts and there are red marks left behind. The SA and GA have helped somewhat with this, you may be able to tell on the updated pictures the red marks are not as obvious, but still there. Potentially this system could help my whole face. No guarantees of course.

2) The most important. Some of the girls who work there use the system. One had hyperpigmentation on her upper lips and T-zone, I saw pics for before she started along with updated pics throughout her course and then saw her face to face today. Her skin was beautiful and even toned.

The other girl had quite bad acne marks from her temple and all down her jawline, covered both sides of her face. Again before during and seeing her face to face, she has been using the stuff for 2 months and it is almost gone. The redness is no longer apparent and she just has very very mild shallow scarring which is same colour as her skin so it is not noticable much.

2 other patients were in for checkup consultations and they were happy for me to see their results. Both had pigmentation and had been using for some time. One was 6 months in and no trace of a large brown patch she had on her forehead. The other was about 6weeks in and his pigmentation still apparent but it had faded a lot since before he began. if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't notice it on him.

Basically it was great to see people in the flesh as opposed to just pictures.

3) The doctor guy provides free consultation and free follow up consultations all the way through. I checked other local derm/skincare company prices and they charge £60 - £150 just to chat with you.

It is a bit expensive but it lasts 2-3 months, and when I factor in all other products I purchase for skincare each month and multiply by 3 it comes out close. And I want to fix this issue I have with myself so I am going to give it a try.

So there we go people. As per my first post I mentioned I hate it when there is no update so have provided one so as not to be a hypocrite.

I just want to stress that I am not affiliated with this Obagi company and if you want to check out them or their products then no link is provided on this post, use google or something. Just a little disclaimer to be tagged on there in light of the recent spammers on the site.

Any comments welcome, wish me luck

I've done a TCA peel before, think it was 2 maybe 3 layered peel I did myself. Took 10days for the flaking to finish but I remember I was happy with how the skin looked a lot nicer so like the idea of Obagi being a similar thing.

Thanks for advice on lactic acid, thought about using this in the past but never got round to it. But right now I'm sold on giving this Obagi a try as it can address not just the pigmentation but the other damaged area of my skin all in one. A week after using it I might not be so happy with the red peeling face but I'll have to soldier through. I might be not too bad though as I have been using SA/GA washes each day and a 50% GA peel once a week. We will see, time will tell.

I heard about hydroquinone being carcenogenic, but it seems every other day something new causes cancer and I've not read any definitive evidence.

any update on this if you still visit this site??

Hi there

I've actually been meaning to update on this for a while now when I got the time, thanks for the push.

Started using the obagi end of May so has been about 3.5 months. On the brown mark, it is still there. But it has faded a lot and the derm I went to did say it would need at least 6 months so I'm just over halfway there, I'm happy with the results so far. After 6 months he said I might need an obagi bluepeel, but at £250 a go I might just do a TCA peel myself or something. Long way away yet for me to worry about it.

As for the skin, am still getting breakouts.....but,....the obagi has improved my skin texture so much. Large open pores on the tzone have been reduced drastically and after a spot has died, instead of the redmark being around for months it is being taken care of in 2 weeks or less.

I don't buy the obagi from the derm anymore, I read about an ebayer called dt100k selling the stuff so I found him on ebay and sent a message. They sent me back a price list and the products were half the price including postage than if I bought them from the derm. So cut out the middle man.

I use the full amount on the face and neck with some extra on the brown mark, there are numerous different products in the obagi system and the one you use most of lasts me about a month or so, some of the others last me 2-3months.

Experience with the obagi - - - in the beginning, say first few weeks, I noticed a reddening of the face. Soon after I started flaking, just tiny tiny little bits,.. like sugar grains if you need a visual image. About a month in the flakes got bigger but not much, sometimes in the evening after I'd eaten there would be large sheets of skin flaking off my face around the mouth, because of the motion of eating having disturbed it. You could just peel it off with no pain or problem.

A lot of people thought I had mild sunburn throughout month 2, wasn't extremely red like a beetroot, more like a hot flush as if I had been running in a warm climate.

More recently I've noticed that my skin is red when I put the stuff on but 30 mins later my colour normalises to my natural appearance. I flake a lot around the mouth and the eyesides (where you get smile lines), also the nose will have small sheets of skin peel on it, is very much like if you had sunburn and the damaged skin was dried out and falling off. This is normally in the morning after I've woken up, so I just gently rub my face in the shower and it comes off without any problem. Then I put on a fresh lot of cream for the day and go about my business, take a shower in the evening and gently rub the face again.

I'm impressed with my skin texture from this, mainly because you hear so many promises from products on what it can do, sometimes I'm shocked when one can actually back up its claims. The results I've had are similar to ones I've had in the past with a TCA peel, yet not so intense. More a gradual thing over a number of months whereas TCA made my face look like a zombie.

Obagi has also made me look younger than I am which is a bonus. When my skin was congested it looked dull and lifeless, now it has a healthy glow. I'm 28 almost 29 and in the past month I've been asked for ID for alchohol 3 times, flattering!

And I'm UK based so that's an age limit of 18 not 21 for all you Americans reading! Hahaaa.

I'll keep using this stuff and I'll try to get some updated pictures done soon. In the meantime I'm thinking about some form of antibiotic to address the breakouts I'm still getting. A friend had really really bad cystic acne on his back, for the past 3 weeks has been taking trimethopan or something like that, his back has cleared out a lot. Going to speak to a doctor about it soon once I've confirmed the name of the antibiotic, it's worth giving it a go as I've not really tried antibiotics for almost a decade now.

Wish me luck,

Tigre

Well it has been a while since my last update and thought I had better make good with an up to date picture and info.

It's been almost a year now on the obagi system and had a bluepeel as well, got it cheap and felt best to do it with a professional than trying to do it myself

The bad news is the brown mark is still there. Good news is it has faded some, put a picture on here for anyone wanting to compare with last years pics further up this thread.Until I made this post I felt it hadn't done anything for the brown mark, but after taking a picture just now and comparing to last year the difference is clear to see.

Also the obagi has made my skin appearance a lot younger so that is a bonus.

I'm still using the obagi and I have another bluepeel due in about 6 weeks (was buy one get one free) so I'll stay on this wagon for now

I mentioned antibiotics in my previous post above, I was prescribed trimethoprim to try and it has reduced outbreaks by 95%, now I just get small pimples occasionally and it seems to be just from shaving.

They die down quick and the obagi shifts the marks left behind most times.

I've got another course of 3 months and then the doctor and I are to try a break and see if the outbreaks come back or not. Don't wish to be on antibiotics all the time.

I'll try and get another update after the next peel. Stay happy people

post-28634-1262269547_thumb.jpg

post-28634-1262269547_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigrepojke

Hi, thanks for such a detailed account of your journey fading your pigmentation.

I stumbled across this as I also have some mild pigmentation from pregnancy.

I have a great dermatologist who has recommended Obagi Blender mixed with a prescription cream called retin-a.

She said the retin-a will help the Obagi blender penetrate better so the pigmentation has a better chance of disappearing. Both are prescription only creams where I live (Australia) and also quite $$, so was searching the internet for some reviews before going ahead and purchasing these.

Your pigmentation seems to have faded a reasonable amount. Have you been using retin-a or a tretinoin based cream mixed with the blender?

Also, do you use the whole range of obagi products or only the blender?

My derm said the blender mixed with the tretinoin would be all I need. Along with wearing sunscreen from the moment I wake until I sleep.

Hey Kitty

I use all the products, got them a third of the price from a private seller although they're not selling at the moment but I don't need any for a while. If you use it right they can easily last 3 months.

As you can see the pigmentation was a lot darker so if yours is less than what I started with then I'm sure your derm is giving you good advice that you only need the blender with a retin-a.

Many derms would maybe lie and sell you the whole lot, sounds like you have a decent one.

I use blender with the 0.1% obagi tretinoin, which IS retin-a as far as I know.

I also wear sunscreen all the time now whereas in the past I only wore it if I was on holiday or on the beach.

It's just a part of my routine now to screen up.

Good luck with your pigmentation, maybe you can drop by and update on here in the future.

You really can tell the difference with your before and after photos. I've been on Obagi Nu-Derm for 13 weeks now, have issues with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It's cleared up my acne nicely, but the marks are still there-- mainly small brown marks on my cheeks. Couple questions for you:

1) I wanted to ask you what changes you made, if any, after 18 weeks, and if you ever incorporated the professional C serum (and if so, what %) into your regimen.

2) You purchased Obagi on Ebay (seller was based in UK)? I looked into it and was a little leery of it-- I guess I thought I would get fake product or something. Can you recommend a seller/website that you've gotten your Obagi?

Thanks! Keep us posted! :)

1) I wanted to ask you what changes you made, if any, after 18 weeks, and if you ever incorporated the professional C serum (and if so, what %) into your regimen.

The only changes I made in my daily routine was dropping other products and just using this. Having to get up a bit earlier to apply the creams until I worked it round my morning routine such as wash and tone, put the kettle on for a drink, put on the cream, eat breakfast, put on sunscreen, go be awesome as usual.

The derm said to use the obagi creams of Clear, Blender and Tretinoin every 2-3 days and the other ones every day which is just the cleanser, toner and Exoderm. Sunscreen every day of course.

In the beginning after my skin got used to the products and I had found a cheap supplier (Hong Kong based) I used all products every day and the results of skin texture and fading became quicker.

After the bluepeel I now use it for maintenance so every third day I use the Exoderm, Clear, Blender and Tretinoin.

The girl who works for the derm has been using Obagi as well and has similar skin tone/type as me, she recommended once I'd finished the Nu-Derm products I might look at the C Serum system as it does the same maintenance effects apparently but she finds it doesn't redden her skin so much.

2) You purchased Obagi on Ebay (seller was based in UK)? I looked into it and was a little leery of it-- I guess I thought I would get fake product or something. Can you recommend a seller/website that you've gotten your Obagi?

I didn't buy from eBay, I found an eBay seller who sold the system privately. Ebay won't allow a lot of the obagi products due to it being prescription strength medication. This sellers delivery times starting to become very long and sometimes had to chase products up so I don't use them anymore, wouldn't recommend them.

You could message all eBay sellers asking if they sell all Obagi products, sure some will and send you a price list. There is also a website obagi4less which claims to sell cheaper than anywhere else, I just did a conversion into UK GBP and it seems a small saving but who knows what crazy price it will be for international postage. They often make up their money there, if you are in the USA though it's a possible good deal but I don't know what prices you get quoted from derms.

A full kit in the UK was 300, the source I had for a while did it for about 160 with postage and it lasted 2-3 months.

That obagi4less works out for a full kit to 240.

I'm sure some people would read this and say you could buy this generic product and that generic product for lots less but I wanted to work with a derm in the beginning to get down the right path.

Plus trying to confirm if a generic product is better than a brand product wastes a lot of time for me, and I've spent money on stuff in the past which just wasn't doing what it was advertised.

Wow, thanks so much... TONS of helpful info!

I'm sure some people would read this and say you could buy this generic product and that generic product for lots less but I wanted to work with a derm in the beginning to get down the right path.

I peeled a lot in the beginning but I've been using this a long while now so I don't peel as much. As I use the Clear, Blender, Tretinoin in the evening the next morning I might have some small very small flaking which comes off pretty much in the shower.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out before making a choice on the C Serum or C Rx system.

With the bluepeel I had a very blue face as we didn't remove it. Most people have it on for an hour or so, sit at the derm before they wash it off but they still have a blue tint to the face. Th derm said it would be more beneficial if I left it on overnight and washed it off in the morning so I did this. Luckily the appointment was late in the day so it was dark when I left.

He gave me some sachets of a cleaning gel used for the removal of the bluepeel and I washed it off the next morning, my face had a blue tint as well as you could see redness also. Over the next few days the skin darkened as it tightened and it shed off a translucent blue colour.

Once the skin was off the blue went with it leaving pink fresh skin underneath, a day later the skintone was back to normal.

I've done a TCA peel on myself before and I'd say the Bluepeel wasn't as painful, they did have an air machine blowing on me throughout but I also had a fan in my face when doing the TCA peel.

I found I could bear not having the air on my face from time to time with the Bluepeel, with the TCA I had to have that fan on me at all times as it felt like my face was on fire.

If you read on the net a lot of people state the Bluepeel is not as aggressive as a TCA peel and that it won't penetrate as deep. But it is designed for people who have prepped themselves with the Obagi systems beforehand. I spoke to my derm about it and he said that the peel I had done was a Mild to Deep peel and the next one will be a Deep peel, so it will get the same and better results as a TCA peel.

It took about 8 days or so to peel and get back to normal, it was the same when I did my TCA peel so I don't see much in it.

I think in the future I'd maybe do the TCA peel myself as it would cost a fraction of the price but as I got a 2 for 1 deal with the derm for the Bluepeel I'll be doing that the end of May.