Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
choccies

Does accutane help improve scars/marks?

Was just wondering if accutane does that to anyone?

Thing is, I have some scars right now (pre-accutane)

and just wanna know if accutane has helped improve scars

in any way?

Would be great to know!

thanks! :)

Was just wondering if accutane does that to anyone?

Thing is, I have some scars right now (pre-accutane)

and just wanna know if accutane has helped improve scars

in any way?

Would be great to know!

thanks! :)

im noticing my pretane scars are becoming deeper. the acne that i got from the famous IB on tane has left me with shallow saucer and jagged like scars, oh yeah and tons of redmarks which probably have lovely scarring that i cant see just yet. im only on month 2. i cant wait to see what becomes of me once im finished....

im noticing my pretane scars are becoming deeper. the acne that i got from the famous IB on tane has left me with shallow saucer and jagged like scars, oh yeah and tons of redmarks which probably have lovely scarring that i cant see just yet. im only on month 2. i cant wait to see what becomes of me once im finished....

does emu oil really work? i heard sometimes it can break some people out? i have enough red marks i dunno if i can risk getting anymore.

thats exactly what happen to me. while on accutane the pimples that were active started purging and popping themselves....eventually it left shallow scarring.

thats exactly what happen to me. while on accutane the pimples that were active started purging and popping themselves....eventually it left shallow scarring.

Emu oil is an oil made from refined fat of the Emu, a bird native to Australia. It has been used for thousands of years by the Australian aborigines for the treatment of burns, wounds, bruises, and as a pain reliever for bone, muscle, and joint disorders. Emu oil is approximately 70% unsaturated fatty acids. The largest component is oleic acid – a mono-unsaturated fatty acid. Emu oil also contains about 20% linoleic (Omega 6) acid and 1-2% linolenic (Omega 3) acid. There is some evidence to suggest that the oil may have medicinal benefit. It is frequently used topically to soften skin and is frequently found in ointments for dry cracked heels.

Emu oil has been shown in studies to aid in reducing scar formation in healed burned wounds, muscle sprains, and arthritis due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties.

It works for me, and doesn't break me out... :)

I normally use it before bed, apply it... and then wait half an hour, then apply cetaphil moisturiser, and hit the land of nod! zzzzzzzz

I'm also just in month two and like you have noticed some odd scarring going on and I'm also terrified of what's lurking underneath my face full of marks....guess I'm just going to have to wait out the next few months and see what I'm left with at the end of it all....

I'm also just in month two and like you have noticed some odd scarring going on and I'm also terrified of what's lurking underneath my face full of marks....guess I'm just going to have to wait out the next few months and see what I'm left with at the end of it all....

Emu oil is an oil made from refined fat of the Emu, a bird native to Australia. It has been used for thousands of years by the Australian aborigines for the treatment of burns, wounds, bruises, and as a pain reliever for bone, muscle, and joint disorders. Emu oil is approximately 70% unsaturated fatty acids. The largest component is oleic acid – a mono-unsaturated fatty acid. Emu oil also contains about 20% linoleic (Omega 6) acid and 1-2% linolenic (Omega 3) acid. There is some evidence to suggest that the oil may have medicinal benefit. It is frequently used topically to soften skin and is frequently found in ointments for dry cracked heels.

Emu oil has been shown in studies to aid in reducing scar formation in healed burned wounds, muscle sprains, and arthritis due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties.

I normally use it before bed, apply it... and then wait half an hour, then apply cetaphil moisturiser, and hit the land of nod! zzzzzzzz

so its thin right not like aloe vera gel? seems interesting Im wondering if it can improve my shallow scarring.

be careful with this drug get all the info you can!!! it can cause SEVERE permanent scarring of the face!!! do not take accutane use lightly... it can CAUSE scarring!!!! trust me it is NOT worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my bfs doctor had him on this drug for months and it did major damage. please consult multiple physicians about this, you do not want to be misinformed!!!!!

Wow people calm down...

I took accutane for 5 months before and they would not really put me on a very high dose because I am very small (not even 100 lbs) and afterwards my skin was perfect. No joke. I was used to getting like 20-30 pimples on my face and I even got it on my chest and back too and it all went away. EVEN THE SCARS! So that is not the end of my story...

The acne came back about a year later and so I am on it again and am three month through and my doctor has pushed the dose to about 150% of what it was last time and I am hoping to get the lasting results that I was promised last time.

Accutane really sucks. I don't know about you guys but I have extremely dry skin not only on my face but really badly especially on my hands. Your acne is going to flare up while you are on the medicine, they say for the first month but for me it was about the whole time until I got to the very end of my treatment.

My doctor told me and I have heard from other people that it does improve scarring. If it didn't for you, and made it worse I don't know what to tell you. Everyone reacts differently to a drug.

As for the girl who is buying it off of ebay... that is very illegal. It is also very dangerous. Even if you are not having any kind of sex you could still get pregnant. I hate to say it but people get raped all the time. If you are having sex and it is unprotected you need to stop right now. It can cause horrible birth defects to your baby. It can make the baby have a lower IQ and a very interesting look. It could have a cone shaped head and very tiny ears and nose. This is very irresponsible. I know I am not the boss of you but one of the reasons this drug is prescribed is so women do NOT get pregnant while on this medicine and so a doctor can make sure that this does not happen. You must sign a contract about what you can and cannot do to get this drug. You have t be on TWO forms of birth control and go in once a month for a pregnancy test. This is serious stuff.

Don't give up hope that this drug will work. I got so frustrated after my first go-round did not work. I swore I would never get back on this drug again in my life after the first time but look at me now lol. I tried all sorts of topical thins such as the benzoil peroxide and rentina and took antibiotics for two years and nothing worked. I am keeping my faith in modern medicine and keeping my head up because being negative never gets anyone anywhere.

So to at least give you one positive feedback answer... YES my acne went away and the scarring went away as well... for about a year... so we will see this time.

Best of luck everyone!

Oh and I don't know about you guys but I could not find ANY kind of lotion to make my skin feel better and I tried many different things. I know this may sound gross but I asked my dermatologist and he said it was fine... Just add a THIN layer of vaseline or petroleum jelly to the dry spots on your body (yes even your face).

And for the lips.... BURTS BEES IS THE BEST!

It is a lifesaver for me and the only thing that seems to work.

Hope this helps.

As for the girl who is buying it off of ebay... that is very illegal. It is also very dangerous. Even if you are not having any kind of sex you could still get pregnant. I hate to say it but people get raped all the time. If you are having sex and it is unprotected you need to stop right now. It can cause horrible birth defects to your baby. It can make the baby have a lower IQ and a very interesting look. It could have a cone shaped head and very tiny ears and nose. This is very irresponsible. I know I am not the boss of you but one of the reasons this drug is prescribed is so women do NOT get pregnant while on this medicine and so a doctor can make sure that this does not happen. You must sign a contract about what you can and cannot do to get this drug. You have t be on TWO forms of birth control and go in once a month for a pregnancy test. This is serious stuff.

She was talking about buying Emu Oil through Ebay; not Accutane. ; )

Wow people calm down...

I took accutane for 5 months before and they would not really put me on a very high dose because I am very small (not even 100 lbs) and afterwards my skin was perfect. No joke. I was used to getting like 20-30 pimples on my face and I even got it on my chest and back too and it all went away. EVEN THE SCARS! So that is not the end of my story...

The acne came back about a year later and so I am on it again and am three month through and my doctor has pushed the dose to about 150% of what it was last time and I am hoping to get the lasting results that I was promised last time.

Accutane really sucks. I don't know about you guys but I have extremely dry skin not only on my face but really badly especially on my hands. Your acne is going to flare up while you are on the medicine, they say for the first month but for me it was about the whole time until I got to the very end of my treatment.

My doctor told me and I have heard from other people that it does improve scarring. If it didn't for you, and made it worse I don't know what to tell you. Everyone reacts differently to a drug.

Don't give up hope that this drug will work. I got so frustrated after my first go-round did not work. I swore I would never get back on this drug again in my life after the first time but look at me now lol. I tried all sorts of topical thins such as the benzoil peroxide and rentina and took antibiotics for two years and nothing worked. I am keeping my faith in modern medicine and keeping my head up because being negative never gets anyone anywhere.

So to at least give you one positive feedback answer... YES my acne went away and the scarring went away as well... for about a year... so we will see this time.

Best of luck everyone!

hey I was just wondering if you had scars before you're accutane treatment? I had slight scarring on the area between my eyes and my hair BEFORE tane, and that doesnt bother me. But right as I started I got the red - verry shallow scarring, and it turned my previous scarring red as well.

My boyfriend used accutane when he was in high school and he said it helped his scarring, too. I hope it does for me as well.

Does the redness go way when the treatment is done? I almost dont care about the scars, but more about the redness.

Also, where do these people find the Emu oil? Is it just online?

thank you SO much for your positivity. I'm really looking forward to clear (even clear-er) skin :D

I've been on Accutane for 2 months and yes, the shallow scars on my cheeks seem to be fading a lot faster. Too bad I'm still getting zits though, I'm already starting to lose hope concerning my active acne. :doubt:

Be cautious when you take this drug.

I was on it for over 2 years at one point.

The reason it causes scarring, is because it dries out your skin to get rid of the acne. But it dries your skin out so fast, scarring occurs.

I have massive scarring on my chest, back, and shoulders. Luckily there is none on my face, and most of the scars can be covered with a shirt.

The scars are both raised and sunken in.

I had to actually have the scars treated after the Accutane was done. I was given these gel like bandages that help with scarring after surgeries and such. It helped a little, but then the ones on my chest were large and sore, so I ended up receiving Cortizone shots into the scars on my chest to help minimize them. The ones on my back, well there isn't much that could be done. The scarring is on areas of my body that move and bend a lot, which doesn't help with scars to heal. It makes them harder to heal, and the scar usually looks worse.

I was told by the dermatologist that he could try to remove the scars with surgery, this would still leave a scar, but hopefully a less noticeable one, but that there was a chance at the scar coming back, or looking worse. That however, did not work. The scar came back, bigger and meaner.

For now, I have learned to live with the way I look. I am happy, healthy, my kids are healthy. My life is full of friends and family :)