Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rakbs

The Food Pyramid is completely backwards.

Or close to it, anyway.

The food pyramid recommends:

6-11 servings of grains

3-5 servings of vegetables

2-4 servings of fruit

2-3 servings of meat/nuts

2-3 servings of dairy/eggs

Sparing use of fats/oils/sweets

But we certified scientists on acne.org know that our diets should be:

Entirely based on good fats

Many servings of meat/eggs

Some vegetables

Less fruit

No grains

No dairy/nuts.

Kinda interesting.

I disagree with the "some vegetables" and definitely on the no grains. Eat all the vegetables you please.

About grains... real whole grains are actually healthy, refined are not as good. If I remember correctly, some of the longest living civilizations ate whole grains. In terms of acne, I still think that eating whole grains will in most cases be good for you. Barley, for example.

I disagree with the "some vegetables" and definitely on the no grains. Eat all the vegetables you please.

About grains... real whole grains are actually healthy, refined are not as good. If I remember correctly, some of the longest living civilizations ate whole grains. In terms of acne, I still think that eating whole grains will in most cases be good for you. Barley, for example.

Why yes, yes it is.

Perhaps this is a contributor to why disease and obesity has absolutely EXPLODED in the last 50-60 years.

Why yes, yes it is.

Perhaps this is a contributor to why disease and obesity has absolutely EXPLODED in the last 50-60 years.

They just invented the pyramid in the 80s or 90s. The processed foods and excessive amounts of food of the last 50 years or so are the reason for disease and obesity.

Most people I know eat a ton of meat and refined white flour, potatoes and sugar. Which I believe is the definition of the Standard American Diet, called SAD, which is what the food pyramid was trying to address.

Why yes, yes it is.

They just invented the pyramid in the 80s or 90s. The processed foods and excessive amounts of food of the last 50 years or so are the reason for disease and obesity.

Most people I know eat a ton of meat and refined white flour, potatoes and sugar. Which I believe is the definition of the Standard American Diet, called SAD, which is what the food pyramid was trying to address.

If you think meat has any part of the SAD, you are mistaken. The SAD diet is refined flour, sugar, and other dairy products such as milk and cheese, hence the following of the food pyramid.

You must be living in a different America than me.

If you think meat has any part of the SAD, you are mistaken. The SAD diet is refined flour, sugar, and other dairy products such as milk and cheese, hence the following of the food pyramid.

You must be living in a different America than me.

People overestimate America's meat consumption, imo.

I remember in elementary/middle school, I would eat:

Breakfast-Cereal

School lunch--Typically corn, rice or potatoes, dairy, and some meat. Some days there would be pizza, which would mean no meat. The meat in my school lunch was also generally very processed, typically fried.

Dinner--Most commonly contained 1-2 servings of meat.

That's at most 3 servings of meat in a day--really not that much. And again, most of it was fried chicken in skin or hamburger meat from McDonalds, not the kind of meat that I would advocate eating now.

People overestimate America's meat consumption, imo. ...

That's at most 3 servings of meat in a day--really not that much. And again, most of it was fried chicken in skin or hamburger meat from McDonalds, not the kind of meat that I would advocate eating now.

We have consumed less carbohydrates in the last 30 years than we consumed 100 years ago.

All the guidelines of either the food pyramid or the low-fat guidelines have never been followed at large. Stats say that people eat whatever they want and only a small portion care about guidelines.

The point is eating by the food pyramid does not make you healthy and slim as it claims.

Compared to people with no intervention at all (eating SAD and sitting on their ass) the people eating by the food pyramid gain no health benefits, not even if they exercise more. On top of all that it's vitrually impossible to follow the guidelines without going mad and ending up binge eating junkfood.

The food pyramid is too high in carbohydrates for a population so overweight and sedentary. Active lean asians consume as many carbohydrates without ill effect. The point is that for health (not fat loss, it depends only on energy balance) there's must be a balance between glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity and carb intake. The fatter and more sedentary one is the lower insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance are.

Lmao, who seriously has EVER tried following the food pyramid, or even gives it a second thought?

This has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with nutrition. Basically, certain agricultural interests make sure that their products are promoted AND subsidized through the federal government. There's a great comparison on this page that runs through it in some detail. Michael Pollan is also a great writer on this issue, and if you want to see what you should actually be eating for optimum health, check out either the Harvard Food Pyramid, or the Kurzweil Food Pyramid.

This has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with nutrition. Basically, certain agricultural interests make sure that their products are promoted AND subsidized through the federal government. There's a great comparison on this page

People overestimate America's meat consumption, imo. ...

I wasn't commenting on the quality of meat or even the validity of the food pyramid. My comment was that the food pyramid is not to blame for disease and obesity as it was fairly recently invented. The typical American diet consisting of meat and processed foods is to blame. And it contains very little fruits, veggies, whole grains, which is what the food pyramid, however flawed, was trying to address.

You said America eats too much meat, which in turns contributes to chronic diesase;

Nope. I never said that. I said the typical diet was meat AND processed foods and that contributes to the obesity and disease that has been on the rise for last 50 or so years, not the food pyramid.

You said America eats too much meat, which in turns contributes to chronic diesase;

Nope. I never said that. I said the typical diet was meat AND processed foods and that contributes to the obesity and disease that has been on the rise for last 50 or so years, not the food pyramid.

most people eat hardly any meat.

Breakfast

Cereal + Milk, Toast, fruit

Lunch

Sandwich, maybe some chicken on it.

Dinner

Spaghetti some meat in the sauce, pizza some meat toppings, Burger a small meat pattie

Diets are largely plant based. Alot of meat would be something such as 2 pounds a day.