Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ligyron

Need help fixing my diet

Alright, my diet hasn't really changed much over the past year, mainly because I find it really hard to change it, as I just don't know what to eat

I'm looking for a new acne-safe diet

I eat a bowl of either raisin brain or honey combs cereal every morning, about 350 days of the year. If it's not cereal, I skip breastfast

My supper is either:

- Meat or porkchop or chicken with vegetable mix in frying pan with or without potato and bread

- Goulash (noodles, ground beef, and ketchup)

- Spaghetti

- Hot dogs (wieners, buns, ketchup, mustard, and relish)

- Kraft dinner

Any time I cook in the frying pan, I use extra virgin olive oil

I always have a multi-vitamin with supper

Everything I've ever heard was good for acne, has typically turned out to be bad. I bought decaf green tea, and had a cup or two per day, but it made my eyes gritty and acne got worse and generally made me feel weird. All the canned salmon/tuna/fish seems to make my acne worse too.

The only thing I drink besides milk in my cereal, is water

I generally have 0 to 5 pimples on my face. My face skin tone is always reddish uneven. After a shower in the morning, my face gets dry and flaky skin, and towards the end of the day it's oily. I've learned to only wash my face with water, as everything else seems to make matters worse in some way. For the past several years, I don't think my skin tone has really changed at all. My acne has gotten better or worse at times, but it's always like the second layer of skin on my face is uneven and red

What's wrong with my diet? What can I change? I'm willing to start a completely new diet (been eating the same stuff for over a year), assuming it will do good and doesn't involve a ton of preparation every day

Suggestions appreciated

Alright, my diet hasn't really changed much over the past year, mainly because I find it really hard to change it, as I just don't know what to eat

I eat a bowl of either raisin brain or honey combs cereal every morning, about 350 days of the year. If it's not cereal, I skip breastfast

My supper is either:

- Meat or porkchop or chicken with vegetable mix in frying pan with or without potato and bread

- Spaghetti

- Kraft dinner

Everything I've ever heard was good for acne, has typically turned out to be bad. I bought decaf green tea, and had a cup or two per day, but it made my eyes gritty and acne got worse and generally made me feel weird. All the canned salmon/tuna/fish seems to make my acne worse too.

I generally have 0 to 5 pimples on my face. My face skin tone is always reddish uneven. After a shower in the morning, my face gets dry and flaky skin, and towards the end of the day it's oily. I've learned to only wash my face with water, as everything else seems to make matters worse in some way. For the past several years, I don't think my skin tone has really changed at all. My acne has gotten better or worse at times, but it's always like the second layer of skin on my face is uneven and red

What's wrong with my diet? What can I change? I'm willing to start a completely new diet (been eating the same stuff for over a year), assuming it will do good and doesn't involve a ton of preparation every day

Suggestions appreciated

hmm well the honeycomb cereal isn't doing you any favors...It's hard to know how to advise you without knowing more about your symptoms...Acne usually has an underlying cause (Candida, problems with beneficial bacteria in the stomach, food allergies or hormonal imbalance)...you should start by trying to figure out what your underlying problem might be (or you might have a combination of problems)...a good first step would be trying to eliminate (or reduce) common allergens to see if that helps (eg dairy nuts gluten soy)...Personally I do not have any dairy or nus but seem to be ok with gluten and soy.

Generally refined sugars are evil! Try to limit them. Reduce (but don't nec. eliminate) high carb foods...eat lots of veggies and some fruits. Try not to skip meals, drink lots of water and research some supplements. That is basic advice. good luck

My supper is either:

- Spaghetti

- Kraft dinner

Suggestions appreciated

more basic advice:

canned foods arent the best... look for wild, Atlantic salmon, i am positive that will help

honey combs arent doing any good... either look into a higher fiber, lower sugary cereal (like rasin bran) and/or try oatmeal, the kind you cook yourself, not instant oatmeal

when you eat carbs, try to eat lower Glycemic Index carbs. whole grain pastas, whole grain breads, brown rice, etc.

white breads and white flours are not good news for acne and skin

look into omega 3 fatty acids

maybe also try to get some foods that are good for digestion, like mustard, pineapple, and yogurt (because of probiotics)

dairy is a problem for some people

instant meals are never good... not exactly sure what a Kraft meal is but it would be better if you could cook the dinner yourself, for example... chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and something else healthy.

try to get 2L of water a day

Well I can stop having milk in my cereal. The last two mornings I had it with water. Let's see how this works out

What about multi-vitamins, anyone have any comment on those? good/bad? I've been taking the same multi-vitamin now for over a year. I stopped taking it for a month, and my face was fine and clear, but then it suddenly got worse than its been in a while. Not sure if it's related or not

If I stop taking multi vitamins, I don't think my diet varies enough to make up for all the missing nutrients

i'd try them again, i dont see the harm. as always, getting nutrients through food will be better, but i do supplement myself