Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MY DAUGHTER BEGAN TAKING ACCUTANE IN JAN FOR SEVERE NODULAR ACNE. I WAS AGAINST IT BUT HER FATHER (MY EX) SIGNED HER UP. SHE HAD NO PREVIOUS GLUCOSE PROBLEMS BUT AFTER HER 1ST MONTH HER TRIGLICERIDES SPIKED AND THEN SHE SHOWED SIGNS OF HIGH SUGAR. SHE WAS TESTED FOR SUGAR ON MONDAY AND SHE WAS OVER 600!! THEY SENT HER TO THE ER AND THEY DIAGNOSED HER WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES. THE AREA OF HER PANCREAS THAT PRODUCES INSULIN IS DESTROYED.

YES, AFTER 6 WEEKS ON ACCUTANE SHE HAD NO ACTIVE BREAKOUTS, HAD SEVERE SCARRING, BUT NOW MUST BE ON INSULIN FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE!!

THIS DRUG MUST BE BANNED! IT IS INSANE! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD RISK THEIR HEALTH AND THEIR LIFE? PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION THAT MAY AFFECT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE OR YOUR LIFE ITSELF.

it sounds like your the one who should have done the research ? and nobody forced your daughter to take accutane. this is why they give you a booklet of information about it so your aware of the risks of the drug.

anyways this story sounds like bs to me. u blame 1 month of accutane alone for destroying your daughters pancreas. and coming on here with the name "mom of an accutane wreck" and ranting about it. probably some guy who is mad accutane gave him flushing so he makes up stories to scare people away from it

I CANNOT PROVE WHO I AM, BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE WASTE THEIR TIME MAKING UP STORIES? LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT. OF COURSE THERE ARE JERKS WHO PROBABLY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO. YES I SHOULD HAVE DONE RESEARCH BUT MY EX INSISTED THAT SHE BE PUT ON THIS DRUG, SHORT OF HIRING A LAWYER WHICH I COULD NOT AFFORD, I COULD NOT STOP HIM. AFTER SHE WAS ON IT I DID DO RESEARCH SO I COULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR DEPRESSION AND SUICIDAL TENDENCIES THAT ARE DOCUMENTED BY ROCHE THEMSELVES. I READ ABOUT EVERY SIDE EFFECT INCLUDING "IT CAN AFFECT SUGAR LEVELS" IN ROCHES OWN LITERATURE. I ALSO VISITED THE FDA SITE AND WAS ASTOUNDED BY HOW MANY TIMES THEY HAVE REQUIRED ROCHE TO RELABEL AS A NEW DANGEROUS SIDE AFFECT WAS PROVEN TO BE LINKED TO ACCUTANE. GO TO THEIR SITE AND YOU WILL SEE THEM TOO. (FDA). MAYBE YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE OF ROCHE PHARMACUETICALS SENT TO SPY ON THESE FORUMS TO MAKE SURE NOONE IS BASHING THEM, I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO TAKE ACCUTANE DO THEIR RESEARCH FIRST AND GET EVERY BLOOD TEST THEY CAN INCLUDING GLUCOSE SINCE ACCUTANE AFFECTS GLUCOSE LEVELS.

MY DAUGHTER BEGAN TAKING ACCUTANE IN JAN FOR SEVERE NODULAR ACNE. I WAS AGAINST IT BUT HER FATHER (MY EX) SIGNED HER UP. SHE HAD NO PREVIOUS GLUCOSE PROBLEMS BUT AFTER HER 1ST MONTH HER TRIGLICERIDES SPIKED AND THEN SHE SHOWED SIGNS OF HIGH SUGAR. SHE WAS TESTED FOR SUGAR ON MONDAY AND SHE WAS OVER 600!! THEY SENT HER TO THE ER AND THEY DIAGNOSED HER WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES. THE AREA OF HER PANCREAS THAT PRODUCES INSULIN IS DESTROYED.

YES, AFTER 6 WEEKS ON ACCUTANE SHE HAD NO ACTIVE BREAKOUTS, HAD SEVERE SCARRING, BUT NOW MUST BE ON INSULIN FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE!!

THIS DRUG MUST BE BANNED! IT IS INSANE! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD RISK THEIR HEALTH AND THEIR LIFE? PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION THAT MAY AFFECT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE OR YOUR LIFE ITSELF.

it sounds like your the one who should have done the research ? and nobody forced your daughter to take accutane. this is why they give you a booklet of information about it so your aware of the risks of the drug.

anyways this story sounds like bs to me. u blame 1 month of accutane alone for destroying your daughters pancreas. and coming on here with the name "mom of an accutane wreck" and ranting about it. probably some guy who is mad accutane gave him flushing so he makes up stories to scare people away from it

I CANNOT PROVE WHO I AM, BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE WASTE THEIR TIME MAKING UP STORIES? LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT. OF COURSE THERE ARE JERKS WHO PROBABLY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO. YES I SHOULD HAVE DONE RESEARCH BUT MY EX INSISTED THAT SHE BE PUT ON THIS DRUG, SHORT OF HIRING A LAWYER WHICH I COULD NOT AFFORD, I COULD NOT STOP HIM. AFTER SHE WAS ON IT I DID DO RESEARCH SO I COULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR DEPRESSION AND SUICIDAL TENDENCIES THAT ARE DOCUMENTED BY ROCHE THEMSELVES. I READ ABOUT EVERY SIDE EFFECT INCLUDING "IT CAN AFFECT SUGAR LEVELS" IN ROCHES OWN LITERATURE. I ALSO VISITED THE FDA SITE AND WAS ASTOUNDED BY HOW MANY TIMES THEY HAVE REQUIRED ROCHE TO RELABEL AS A NEW DANGEROUS SIDE AFFECT WAS PROVEN TO BE LINKED TO ACCUTANE. GO TO THEIR SITE AND YOU WILL SEE THEM TOO. (FDA). MAYBE YOU ARE AN EMPLOYEE OF ROCHE PHARMACUETICALS SENT TO SPY ON THESE FORUMS TO MAKE SURE NOONE IS BASHING THEM, I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO TAKE ACCUTANE DO THEIR RESEARCH FIRST AND GET EVERY BLOOD TEST THEY CAN INCLUDING GLUCOSE SINCE ACCUTANE AFFECTS GLUCOSE LEVELS.

Not taking sides one way or another. But did Mom check with the dermatologist or another medical professional to ask if this type of Diabetes is linked to Accutane? Personally, I've not read any warnings in the medication literature. That's not to say that the warnings are there and I might have missed it. But I agree that if Diabetes was a high risk with Accutane, then the monthly blood tests would also be checking blood sugar levels along with the liver enzymes and triglycerides. But that's not part of the routne bloodwork, which means that if there is any risk at all from taking Accutane, it is minimal enough to omit it from the monthly bloodwork.

I'm not getting involved with the arguement either. But one thing i know for sure is that accutane can potentially cause ANY auto immune disease.

My nephew got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 5. He got really sick and his glucose levels were really low...he almost went into a coma! This happened all of asudden one day...nothing in particular brought it on. Maybe this lady's daughter just happened to get diagnosed around the same time she started Accutane. Could Accutane really have caused it? Is there evidence? I never took Accutane, nor will I do so in the future, so I'm not an Accutane defender...just curious.

dear mom who is really upset about accutane,

HAVE YOUR DAUGHTER TESTED FOR GLUTEN INTOLERANCE/CELIAC DISEASE. IT IS AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE HIGHLY RELATED TO DIABETES TYPE ONE. AND IT CAUSES ACNE! WHEN I STOPPED EATING WHEAT, MY ACNE DISAPPEARED! AND NOW WHEN I EAT IT, MY SKIN FREAKS OUT. IM SERIOUS. JUST DO THIS. ITS A SIMPLE BLOOD TEST.

i've read about this happening on a facebook accutane group and several other websites. just search accutane + diabetes.

why don't derms prescribe glucose testing with the blood work? is there anyway to make my derm test for this when i go back for my follow up?

i'm curious, what symptoms did your daughter show? were they apparent right after she started taking accutane? how old is she?

i've read about this happening on a facebook accutane group and several other websites. just search accutane + diabetes.

why don't derms prescribe glucose testing with the blood work? is there anyway to make my derm test for this when i go back for my follow up?

i'm curious, what symptoms did your daughter show? were they apparent right after she started taking accutane? how old is she?

I would ask your Dr to test your fasting blood sugar along with the other tests they do. My daughter is 15 and 6 days after they increased her dosage she called me at work complaining of extreme thirst, feeling full without having eaten anything, weakness, sleepiness and nausea without vomiting. She drank 1 gallon of milk in 2 days, a quart of apple juice and many gallons of water from wed to Mon when she was tested at 600. The accutane literature lists changes in sugar levels as a side effect. The fda site lists diabetes a a rare and severe side effect.

Since someone has asked me why I do not ask any questions here's one: What is the best product for her extremely chapped lips that began within 2 weeks of her being on Accutane. Some posts I have read on other sites say they have never gotten rid of the chapped, bleeding lips so I would like her to get relief from that and her dry itchy skin. Also, now that she is off of it, what is the best skin regimen for her face to keep it from breaking out?

Again she was only on it for 6 weeks. I thank those who have been supportive and i understand that those who are defensive believe whole heartedly in this product, I wish you success without side effects as I do understand the trauma of having severe nodular acne.

There have been a lot of reports of Type 1 diabetes while under Accutane treatment (many of them recorded on diabetes type 1 sites).

Under Accutane warnings, pancreatitis and diabetes are now listed as possible side effects. And now they admit that many pacients reported high levels of tryglicerides and blood sugar but argue that it must be a genetic componenent to that, given the fact they can not explain how it's happening (duh!!). I think Roche is ignoring obvious facts and they cover themselves by asking every pacient to sign a release form and listing diabetes as a side-effect.

The truth is ACCUTANE DOES CAUSE DIABETES (as admited by Roche too):

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf

Sorry "mom of accutane wreck" for your daughter diabetes. It must be devastating. And I think Roche should be sued for still selling this product after so many serious side-effects.

Read the complete pubmed literature on Accutane,

P

That link you sent doesnt prove anything. A lot of people think there is no link between accutane and suicidal ideations either but I know for a fact there are because I experienced it when I never had that before in my life.

okay

type 1 diabetes - the actual destruction of the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin (that is what type 1 diabetes is) - cannot happen in 6 weeks. Also, T1D is a disease that shows up early in life (i.e 15), this could be nothing more than a correlational fallacy. Accutane CAN mess with your glucose it is true. It does not suddenly create a team of antibodies who hone to the B cells (pancreatic B cells not to be confused with good old fashioned immuno B cells) and set forth a motion of events which end in T-cell mediated destruction of tissue. Sorry but I dont buy it. There is no mechanism or biochemical pathway that I can think of which would possibly explain roaccutane causing this. T1D is an autoimmune disease with an autoimmune pathology.

GOLDEN RULE OF SCIENCE!!

Just because A happens after B or with B does not mean A caused B

Same with roaccutane and suicidal ideation - it is doubtful it is a causal link. Think about it, a lot of people who take roaccutane would already have self esteem issues and other problems like that or may have developed a personality that predisposes to suicidal ideation.

I mean I became massively depressed shortly after I went on the birth control pill for the third time in my life (same pill) but it had nothing to do with the pill and the depression certainly didn't go away when I came off it.

Not to go on but another example - immunisations and mind to moderate behavioural/intellectual disabilities in children. Mothers think that getting the 1 year old immunisations causes autism and other behavioural/intell problems, if they stopped and thought about it they would realise that at 1 year an infant actually starts to talk and become a social entity. The disability was probably there the entire time but it never showed itself because ... well.. babies just sit there like slobby bodily liquid exuding lumps (albeit cute ones).

anyway ive ranted too much

okay

type 1 diabetes - the actual destruction of the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin (that is what type 1 diabetes is) - cannot happen in 6 weeks. Also, T1D is a disease that shows up early in life (i.e 15), this could be nothing more than a correlational fallacy. Accutane CAN mess with your glucose it is true. It does not suddenly create a team of antibodies who hone to the B cells (pancreatic B cells not to be confused with good old fashioned immuno B cells) and set forth a motion of events which end in T-cell mediated destruction of tissue. Sorry but I dont buy it. There is no mechanism or biochemical pathway that I can think of which would possibly explain roaccutane causing this. T1D is an autoimmune disease with an autoimmune pathology.

GOLDEN RULE OF SCIENCE!!

Same with roaccutane and suicidal ideation - it is doubtful it is a causal link. Think about it, a lot of people who take roaccutane would already have self esteem issues and other problems like that or may have developed a personality that predisposes to suicidal ideation.

I mean I became massively depressed shortly after I went on the birth control pill for the third time in my life (same pill) but it had nothing to do with the pill and the depression certainly didn't go away when I came off it.

Not to go on but another example - immunisations and mind to moderate behavioural/intellectual disabilities in children. Mothers think that getting the 1 year old immunisations causes autism and other behavioural/intell problems, if they stopped and thought about it they would realise that at 1 year an infant actually starts to talk and become a social entity. The disability was probably there the entire time but it never showed itself because ... well.. babies just sit there like slobby bodily liquid exuding lumps (albeit cute ones).

anyway ive ranted too much

annakarenina83, I agree with you on both your posts. I am a science major as well. My dermatologist told me there is no proof Accutane causes Suicidal thoughts. She told me that after she asked me the questions on if I was sad and feeling suicidal and the rest. I think she knew I was tired of answering them every month.

I am quoting this from The Human Body Bookby Steve Parker. I bought this book for my Human Body class at school. Anyway, this is what it says about Type 1 Diabetes, "The cause is unknown, but the disease may be triggered by a viral infection or by inflammation in the pancreas. It usually develops rapidly in childhood or adolescence. Symptoms include thirst, dry mouth, hunger, frequent urination, fatigue, blurred vision, and weight loss." Notice how it said "usually develps rapidly." Accutane may have contributed to this because of the fact it causes increased triglyceride levels, but it being the actual cause is hard to believe.

acne_battle, annakarenina83 didn't call lamarr1986 stupid she said you shouldn't say stupid things there is a difference there. annakarenina83 is right there, lamarr1986 shouldn't have accutane can cause any autoimmune disease.

Thanks, em2009, for citing your source! As I was reading through all of this I decided to make a post to urge everyone to believe NOTHING that is posted here unless a credible source of that information is cited. As proof that the person isn't just making assumptions or making it up. And then BAM -- there's your post complete with naming your source :clap:

Honesly, I urge everyone to not take anything posted here as factual medical advice. I'm not calling anybody liars, I'm just saying that there are a lot of myths and a lot of old wive's tales, and it's very easy to believe things that are intelligently written, especially if you've heard something similar before.

I work in a medical (Optometry) library, and I've posted on threads about eye disorders in relation to Accutane. I'm no medical expert, just a librarian. But I have access to atlases, dictionaries, course materials, etc., written by experts, and when I post an answer to an eye-related question I make sure that #1, I quote my complete source of information so others will know it came from a credible source, and #2, I include a disclaimer stating that I am not a medical professional and that what I post should not be interpreted in any way as medical advice. I'm just quoting the books, that were written by the experts.

And to acne battle (Molly?) -- don't let 'em tell you otherwise, sweetie. I read it with my own two eyes in the massive amount of information I had to read and sign off on before I could go on accutane that patients have reported suicidal thoughts and some have even carried it out. I'm sorry you've experienced that. I'm learning from reading these message boards and the blogs that the side effects are experienced differently -- and to different degrees -- by different people. What is mild for one person may be severe for the next. Again, that's not medical expertise on my part. My observations from reading different accounts of different people's experiences.....and from reading the depression/suicide warnings in the big iPledge binder I was given at the dermatologist's office.

Thank you TooOldForThis, I do like to site my sources. You never know where some people get their information.

After reading the rest of your post I have to agree. Everyone experiences the side effects of accutane differently. My sister and I took accutane at the same time during my first round and we both experienced the common side effects but we both had other side effects the other didn't.

acne_battle, the fact that my dermatologist told me there is no proof that accutane causes suicidal thoughts doesn't mean it can't happen. If you think about it why would they ask all the questions of whether you are sad, have suicidal thoughts or feel depressed.

Hopefully after I go to medical school and become a dermatologist I will be able to answer all these questions with a medical opinion and a person who has taken accutane twice rather than a Biology Major's opinion and someone who has taken accutane twice.

okay

GOLDEN RULE OF SCIENCE!!

annakarenina83, I agree with you on both your posts. I am a science major as well. My dermatologist told me there is no proof Accutane causes Suicidal thoughts. She told me that after she asked me the questions on if I was sad and feeling suicidal and the rest. I think she knew I was tired of answering them every month.

I am quoting this from The Human Body Bookby Steve Parker. I bought this book for my Human Body class at school. Anyway, this is what it says about Type 1 Diabetes, "The cause is unknown, but the disease may be triggered by a viral infection or by inflammation in the pancreas. It usually develops rapidly in childhood or adolescence. Symptoms include thirst, dry mouth, hunger, frequent urination, fatigue, blurred vision, and weight loss." Notice how it said "usually develps rapidly." Accutane may have contributed to this because of the fact it causes increased triglyceride levels, but it being the actual cause is hard to believe.

acne_battle, annakarenina83 didn't call lamarr1986 stupid she said you shouldn't say stupid things there is a difference there. annakarenina83 is right there, lamarr1986 shouldn't have accutane can cause any autoimmune disease.

okay

GOLDEN RULE OF SCIENCE!!

The actual destruction of pancreatic beta cells can happen anywhere from one week ( fulminant diabetes type 1), 6 weeks to 3 month ( drug induced diabetes type 1) or in years. Diabetes type 1 can be diagnosed from birth to 82 years old ( it all depends on the size of the thymus, the larger it is, the more chances the immune system can get "confused"). The reason juvenile diabetes appears in youngs is because the thymus tends to decrease in size with age from the size of a thumb when the child is 3 years old, to a pin-size when the thymus "learned" enough..

There are many drugs that can induce diabetes ( some of them are used in labs to induce in mice to study diabetes), and one of them was reported to be Accutane.

Because you asked facts:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/adis...000599/art00032

in 1996 the first case of Accutane induced diabetes have been reported. ( hope you have subscription for the article)

Nobody can really tell us exactly what an autoimmune disease is...

For example many believed until recently that rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease while rheumatic fever is an infectious disease, until a doctor decided in 1999 ( because of the similarity of the symptoms) to administer the same treatment of Pennicillin G ( benzyl form -long form of pennicylin) and came to amazing rezults. Rheumatoid Arthritis does not behave like an autoimmune disease at all.

Same with multiple sclerosis and the fact the monkeys can not get infected ( but 6 englishmen had almost died to prove that humans have a complete different immune system).

When B comes after A too many times it's probably time to ask yourself why.

PS annakarenina if you have completely discovered the autoimmune pathology of diabetes type 1, please share with the rest of the 360 billion dollar industry that struggles to find out why ( btw only 65-85% of people with diabetes type 1 have autoimmune markers)

I'm not getting involved with the arguement either. But one thing i know for sure is that accutane can potentially cause ANY auto immune disease.

<-- this type of crap really really really makes me angry. It is nothing but a wild sweeping statement that can have the damaging effect of really scaring some poor kid who is searching the net wanting info on roaccutane.

You know for sure do you

Which university did you get your Phd in Immunology from may I ask?

ANY autoimmune disease? So you think roaccutane causes multiple sclerosis??????

Do you even know what an autoimmune disease is beyond the simple understanding that is your immune system attacking you

Can you even name more than 4 autoimmune diseases without looking them up on the internet

Dont say such stupid things. I mean think about what you are saying. This lady started this thread because she is distressed about her poor daughter the least you can do is not throw out crazy statements like that.

I want to thank those of you who have delved into the research and stetched my mind. You have made me dig very deep into many sources to find some validity as I continue to feel guilt about not having researched this drug thoroughly. If I had known about the ipledge I would have reaearched it before allowing the prescription to be considered. yes I was left out of the loop with my ex and I can assure you that it will never happen again. I would hope through this thread that people need to research any drug thoroughly and not take what any doc prescribes without knowing all about it, then can you make a truly informed decison about weighing the benefits and risks. It is your body..know what you are putting in it. I am glad many here have had tremendous success with Accutane and I am truly happy for you. And I have read that some have not had such success and suffer side effects that they may have thought would go away and have not.

To those of you who have become depressed...please do not lie to your doc, it is a very severe side effect and nothing is worth the loss of your life. Depression is a disease of its own and many people have it without being on a drug. But if you were happy before and now are not, please talk to someone.

Lastly, since my daughter is off Accutane, I would love to know a great skin regimen for her to use that may be of help to her as her skin goes back to being acne covered. She has not had active breakouts like she did , but I would like to start something right away and maybe we can have a proactive attack before the breakouts begin again.

Thank you