Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barbie89

Accutane & Yeast Infection

OK...so can accutane make it more likely for a woment to get a yeast infection? I know this drug messes with your immune system but i'm only on 30mg and boy i've had the flu, pink eye, yeast infection..all sorts of stuff i havent had in FOREVER! Any idea?

OK...so can accutane make it more likely for a woment to get a yeast infection? I know this drug messes with your immune system but i'm only on 30mg and boy i've had the flu, pink eye, yeast infection..all sorts of stuff i havent had in FOREVER! Any idea?

well I'm assuming since you are on accutane that you are also taking birth control pills, so it could be the birth control that is causing (or contributing to) the yeast infections. I know many women (and my doctor has even told me this) that have issues w/ reoccurring yeast infections due to birth control pills.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it, and good luck with the rest of your course! :)

yeah i got a bad cold after a week of being on accutane! and it hasnt really gone away, my nose is still stuffy and runny. it sucks. im really trying to eat healthy and get enough sleep.

You might try DanActive, yogurt is good for yeast infections anyway so it will help with that, plus DanActive has L. casei immunitas that strenghten your immunity. I used to drink 1/day, and I didn't get a cold or any kind of illness for over a year. Here is a link for more info....

DanActive

Well, I think accutane can cause yeast infections, because I have one right now. I've only had one before in my life, years ago, and then after about a week on 'tane I get one. Too much of a coincidence for me. In my case, I've been on birth control for years, so I don't think it's the birth control.

I also got sick the third day on accutane, and I rarely get sick. I think it's been around 2 years since I've been sick. It was just a cough/cold that lasted about a week.

But let me just say, now that I'm over the cold, and with the exception of the yeast infection that I'm treating, I feel good. I don't have aches and pains, I don't have dry skin problems. I make sure to take supplements, eat well and drink tons of water and use aquaphor on my lips and in my nose, even though they aren't dry.

I would imagine that the yeast infection is just an intial reaction to everything being thrown off balance by the accutane. I am assuming that once I get it under control it won't come back as my body has become used to accutane.

Good luck!

Hello,

that definitely sounds like lowered immunity, having all of those problems at once! sorry to hear that...You'll have to check with your doctor, but if it's safe I would suggest a high quality probiotic supplement, that will boost your immunity and help with yeast infections. good luck!

Yep definitely. My OBGYN told me. It started out minor for me when I started the Accutane with no symptoms. I figured I could wait a week to treat it....because I had no symptoms and then my OBGYN was waiting for my Pap smear to come back to treat me. but girrrrrrrrrrrlllllllll about two days later I had a full blown Yeast Infection with super duper symptoms. The worst I have ever experienced! I immediately called the doc and treated it, but I am thinking that I may need a second 3 day course of treatment once my period is over. I was going to start a forum on this until I found yours and I didnt add this to my daily log because I thought the yeast infection was not an Accutane symptom

wow..i dont feel so alone now! I'm glad that what i'm going through is at least normal..but it sucks! Thanks everyone for your info.

OK, so now I'm going to be paranoid! LOL I'm the yeast queen and have always gotten yeast infections easily. But I've been on tane for almost 6 weeks and haven't had one yet. Knock on wood.

Tane dries everything out, and it could be disrupting the balance "down there" and making you prone to yeast infections. Also, if you were on antibiotics a lot for your acne prior to going on Tane, that'll do it too. Eating yogurt with active cultures is good advice, and I also highly recommend a product called Rephresh (find it in the feminine care aisle) that is non-medicated but restores the pH balance in that area.

Ahhh- makes sense to me

I am going through my 3d since being on the Tane. I am almost 30 days OFF

I also had a bout of walking pneumonia and I am someone who rarely gets sick. Makes sense to me now...

I am almost a month off and i am currently treating my THIRD yeast infection since January (when I started my accutane course)...

I also had walking pneumonia about 6 weeks ago. I am NOT someone who gets sick either...

It had to be the 'tane...as it does lower one's immune system.

Eat yogurt, change your clothes as soon as you work out or go in the pool or hot tub...

just be extra cognizant of things like this--your body is not as strong as it normally has been...Accutane is hard core stuff!

I think that Accutane lowers your immune system. This is why you are experiencing all of these symptoms.

I got sick last week and no one else in the house did!

------------------------

i also think like that.

I think that Accutane lowers your immune system. This is why you are experiencing all of these symptoms.

I got sick last week and no one else in the house did!

-----------------------------

i think like that.Accutane decrease your immune system.

I'm on day 44 w/30mg...haven't experienced the yeast infection problem YET.

Day 17 of my tane experience, I got pink eye in both eyes....took 3 weeks to finally go away. Never had pink eye in my life. Is pink eye common when taking accutane or maybe just because your immune system is suppressed?

I totally agree that for your size you should be taking only 80 mg. a day.

I am in my 4th month of accutane 26 and same size. I just this last week got a yeast infection. I have one prior and this is driving me insane! They are bad! What did your doc prescribe?

Hmmm... I've had a lot of crazy stuff happen to me also but I just chalked it up to bad luck. I cut my foot on a pair of "bad" sandals. I got a tiny little cut on my foot and ended up in the ER with a staph infection!!! Worst pain I have ever been in and I've broken bones...

I was on heavy doses of antibiotics for 10 days and 3 days before I finished I ended up with a crazy, crazy yeast infection. I thought it was just from the antibiotics. I had been eating yogurt the entire time so I didn't understand. The infection actually caused tearing from the top of my privates all the way to the top of my behind. It was terrible. I had to take Diflucan for 14 days when normally you would only take it for one.

The second day into the Diflucan treatment I ended up in the ER again! My face swelled up like a balloon. My eyes were puffy, my cheeks and I began having trouble breathing. The ER called it Angio Edema. I needed to be flushed via IV with heavy doses of Benedryl and Prednisone.

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse... 3 days later I tripped and fell on the sidewalk! I bruised and cut myself like an 80 year old (I'm 28). It's been almost two weeks and I still have cuts and bruises and the cuts that healed left crazy scars.

BUT my skin looks great! Minimal "typical" side effects. Slightly dry skin. Slightly chapped lips- I never leave without Aquaphor though. I've been on 40mg for a month and a half.

ahhh no!!! I had no idea yeast infections were more likely with accutane. :(

I am supposed to stop taking my antibiotics because I am set to get my first accutane prescription tomorrow, and I was all excited to be done with the antibiotics BECAUSE they give me yeast infections easily. I guess nothing is changing hahahha. I was hoping I could slack a little on my probiotic supplement once i wasn't taking antibiotics, but I think I'll continue with it daily after reading this..

My probiotic of choice: Green Vibrance. It is actually a greens supplement that happens to have probiotics in it. If you're going to spend the $$$ on probiotics, might as well get all the other good stuff thats in this product with it!

There are many causes as well as cures for yeast infections.Natural cures for yeast infections are many but only certain ones can provide rapid relief.Here are some major causes of vaginal yeast infections.

Medications and Drugs such as:

Antibiotics

Steroids

Prescription drugs

Birth control pills

Genital Irritation Douching caused by:

Sprays, soaps and other hygiene products (especially the anti-bacterial type)

Direct contact with an infected area (sexual intercourse)

Immune Dysfunction caused by:

A compromised immune system

Allergies

Fatigue (adrenal burnout)

Stress

Repeated bacterial infections

Internal and External Environment causes:

Environmental toxicities

Diet

Hormone changes (PMS, menopause, pregnancy)

Diabetes

Exposure

So now that you've seen some major causes of yeast infections lets look at some cures for vaginal yeast infections.

Air-Flow:

The most promising "cure" is actually the most obvious. At first sight of a vaginal yeast infection be sure to get exposed. What I mean by this is to expose your vagina to as much air flow as possible. This helps to ensure as much as possible that yeast is killed off rapidly and early so your vaginal yeast infection is a short one.

Probiotics:

These are bacteria normally found in the body that help to keep harmful bacteria at low levels. They also help regulate the levels of harmful yeast such as Candida Albicans, the yeast responsible for vaginal yeast infections. You can get this through yogurt or supplements. Acidophilus for example is a very popular probiotics that you can buy in pill and powder form. Probiotics should be supplemented in doses of at least 50 billion active bacteria per day. You should also be apply probiotic bacteria directly to the infection in the way of unsweetened yogurt or probiotics powder.

Conclusion:

When all is said and done what you really need for rapid vaginal yeast infection relief is a guide to help show you exactly what natural therapies you should use and when to use them. With the correct information you save yourself time and suffering from another infection.

*Moderator edit - read the board rules that you agreed to when signing up.*