Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So...i'm wondering...who here says that nuts break them out?

And if you do...what kind of nuts do you eat? Salted?? Because i think that may be why...its not the nuts thats causing the break outs, its the salt maybe.

And aside, can you give me your input about them anyway, because i eat nuts all the time as a snack...its got 3% DV of sodium, and i dont want to stop taking them for a while because i eat them for the protein, which i really need....and at this point it seems anything with a good amount of protein is going to break me out

My brain is kinda full of mixed info right now( due to too much diet info recently lol),

but I do know that an actual peanut is not a nut, it's a legume, so there's that. And

mostly I thought the problem with nuts (salted or not) was that they have a bad omega

6 to omega 3 ratio, wich can be cause for inflamation. So I just avoid 'em, rather not

risk it, 'cause I think I've had a few minor breakouts because of nuts, but I'm not 100%

sure. Anyways, that's my muddled contribution :D

From what I've read most people get oily and/or get minor breakouts from nuts. Myself, regarldess of nut type, whether they are soaked, etc. get a few small whiteheads on various areas of my face when I consume them.

Besides that, if you're concerned about protein I'd look to animal sources instead. Try different kinds of fish, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. and see what works best for you.

Unrefined sea salt is not a problem; only table salt is.

Make sure the nuts are soaked or sprouted before consumption; this is important to rid the nuts (and seeds and grains) of their enzyme inhibitors. I can't recall where, but a poster named Leah_ advises soaking nuts with sea salt brine, and soaking grains with some acidic substance, such as yogurt, lemon juice, or vinegar. Follow her recommendations.

Do not eat roasted nuts; they are VERY hard to digest, and their fats are rancid. Best buy them raw and soak them yourselves, then dehydrate them at a temperature lower than whatever the temperature is that denatures beneficial enzymes, if you want them crunchy. Be aware that some nuts shouldn't be consumed raw in extremely large quantities, regardless of whether soaked/sprouted or dehydrated, as they have various toxic substances that are not neutralized without cooking. I think cashew is one; there are some more. That doesn't mean you should not eat them though; just not as much as you would some safer nut variety, such as almond.

Follow proper food combination techniques and don't go eating nuts with very sweet fruits/starchy foods/other protein heavy foods/whatever else that hinders the digestion of nuts.

Other than that, go nuts!

Make sure the nuts are soaked or sprouted before consumption; this is important to rid the nuts (and seeds and grains) of their enzyme inhibitors. I can't recall where, but a poster named Leah_ advises soaking nuts with sea salt brine, and soaking grains with some acidic substance, such as yogurt, lemon juice, or vinegar. Follow her recommendations.

Do not eat roasted nuts; they are VERY hard to digest, and their fats are rancid. Best buy them raw and soak them yourselves, then dehydrate them at a temperature lower than whatever the temperature is that denatures beneficial enzymes, if you want them crunchy. Be aware that some nuts shouldn't be consumed raw in extremely large quantities, regardless of whether soaked/sprouted or dehydrated, as they have various toxic substances that are not neutralized without cooking. I think cashew is one; there are some more. That doesn't mean you should not eat them though; just not as much as you would some safer nut variety, such as almond.

Follow proper food combination techniques and don't go eating nuts with very sweet fruits/starchy foods/other protein heavy foods/whatever else that hinders the digestion of nuts.

Am I the only one that has a panic attack just reading this information?

I find it extremely inspirational, but I can't do it. I work all day, pick up my son, feed him and get him ready for bed, quality time with my son and husband, and it's time for me to get to bed. I hardly have time to eat a meal let alone make bread, soak nuts, etc.

Anyone else out there have a family, children, etc.? If so, how are you managing to balance what you want to do with food/diet and what you actually can fit into your life?

Not to knock what you're saying because I do completely understand, but soaking nuts is actually quite easy and quick in terms of the effort you have to put in. Simply buy the nuts, put them in a jar with water overnight (or however long you prefer) and when they're ready, rinse them out. Now you can either eat them "wet" or you can, say, set your oven to 105ish or something like that and leave them in for a day or so and they should be more crunchy. The majority of the time is in the waiting, all in all you may put in 10-15 minutes of your time in preparing them.

Yeah, so then I have soaked nuts. But what about homemade sprouted bread, plus driving to timbuktu to buy raw milk and butter. And so on and so on. Each one thing doesn't take too much time, but the lifestyle change seems very time consuming to me. Particularly when I have a husband and child to try to bring on board.

I'm not just trying to whine here. I am truly interested in a lifestyle change that will improve my health from the inside. I'd just like to talk to working, urban people with kids and see how they do it.

Not to knock what you're saying because I do completely understand, but soaking nuts is actually quite easy and quick in terms of the effort you have to put in. Simply buy the nuts, put them in a jar with water overnight (or however long you prefer) and when they're ready, rinse them out. Now you can either eat them "wet" or you can, say, set your oven to 105ish or something like that and leave them in for a day or so and they should be more crunchy. The majority of the time is in the waiting, all in all you may put in 10-15 minutes of your time in preparing them.

Yeah, so then I have soaked nuts. But what about homemade sprouted bread, plus driving to timbuktu to buy raw milk and butter. And so on and so on. Each one thing doesn't take too much time, but the lifestyle change seems very time consuming to me. Particularly when I have a husband and child to try to bring on board.

I'm not just trying to whine here. I am truly interested in a lifestyle change that will improve my health from the inside. I'd just like to talk to working, urban people with kids and see how they do it.

Point well taken. But the thing is you don't have to do all of that, just strive for what you can manage with and stick with the "healthiest" things you can do within reason. It's illogical to go through all that if all it's going to do is stress you out and take what little free time you have. It's all in being as healthy as you can within your means. I personally don't do half of the stuff you described, all I do is eat meat and vegetables, take a few mineral supplements and probiotics and I buy organic when I can. It does some effort to plan meals ahead of time and cook/prepare foods but it's what I can manage right now so I'm sticking with it. Sure, there's loads more I could be doing (homemade sprouted bread, exercise more, etc etc) but at this point in time, I can only do so much and same goes for you. Just take comfort in the fact that you are being healthier, and don't focus on not being the healthiest ;) .

if I eat nuts I can't go to the washroom for 3 days.. it happened last year when I ate a pack of penauts M&M and it happened as well a few days ago when I ate pistachios... I NEED TO GO TO THE WASHROOM OR ELSE...

Point well taken. But the thing is you don't have to do all of that, just strive for what you can manage with and stick with the "healthiest" things you can do within reason. It's illogical to go through all that if all it's going to do is stress you out and take what little free time you have. It's all in being as healthy as you can within your means. I personally don't do half of the stuff you described, all I do is eat meat and vegetables, take a few mineral supplements and probiotics and I buy organic when I can. It does some effort to plan meals ahead of time and cook/prepare foods but it's what I can manage right now so I'm sticking with it. Sure, there's loads more I could be doing (homemade sprouted bread, exercise more, etc etc) but at this point in time, I can only do so much and same goes for you. Just take comfort in the fact that you are being healthier, and don't focus on not being the healthiest ;) .

I'm right there with you. I eat as many veggies as I can, drink green smoothies, have several servings of fruit per day, eat lots of fish, take good supplements, drink ACV, etc. I buy organic when I can, have cut back on dairy (oh god how I love milk and cheese), and have cut back on sweets. And I exercise daily. I feel like these steps are very helpful, and my skin is looking great, but I am a bit of a perfectionist, so it bugs me that I still eat simple carbs, still cave and eat scones sometimes, etc. Maybe I just need to back off myself a bit. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for your input. :D