Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RatherBeSkating

Sunbeds, cancer, and vitamin C

Hey. I've recently pretty much beaten acne, but now have some serious hyperpigmentation. The only way I've found to mask this is with sunbeds - I've been on for 12 minutes in the last 2 days and now my skin looks perfect.

The only think is I'm gonna have to keep doing maintencance - like 12 minutes a week at least to keep it clear. I'm just a lil worried about skin cancer (my grandad had it, don't know if that makes a difference).

I've heard that vitamin C can be used to seriously reduce the risk of getting cancer - some stuides have even cured certain cancers with megadoses of vitamin C - google it!

Just wondering if anyone knows how much vitamin C I'd need to be in a relatively safe zone. Stopping the sunbeds is not really an option, but the last thing I'd want wrong with my skin is cancer.

Thanks.

You must be referring to it's antioxident function. And you should try to consume a variety of antioxidents. They work in parts of the body and some even target specific free radicals.

With vitamin c, you need to take it throughout the day as it doesn't last. I wouldn't get anything higher than 500mg tablets and take it several times a day.

Beta Carotene is another one that helps protect your skin and that's easy to get from food. And I think Green Tea. Or at least I know people who think it does. I can't remember if I confirmed it. Doesn't matter because I'm going to drink it anyway.

There are many "superfoods" that you can incorporate into your daily diet that are full of antioxidants and just amazing. Google goji berries, acai, pomegranate, and of course vegetables like kale are awesome as well. Just try and loadup on antioxidant-rich foods.

However, tanning in the right kind of tanning bed might actually be good for you:

It's best to take Vitamin C with flavonoids, as flavonoids have shown to substantially increase the life of Vitamin C in your blood.

It makes sense, too: before the day of supplements, we'd be getting our Vitamin C along with a dose of flavonoids from the fruit or vegetable. I think we should stick with that same principle now.

You can buy Vitamin C supplements with flavonoids. They're quite cheap.

O.K thx everyone, I'll get some vitamin C tablets (500mg) from my chemist today, and maybe some cod liver oil as reccommended by the youtube video.

Just to note aswell, within 2 days of tanning for 6 minutes, followed the day after by 9 minutes, I'm clear. As in 99% clear, just got one or two that haven't gone down yet. I was quite red yesterday, because I asked for 6 minutes, and she gave me another 3 for free. I think sunbeds could really be the answer to many skin problems, but as with anything, just gotta try to minimize the side effects.

O.K thx everyone, I'll get some vitamin C tablets (500mg) from my chemist today, and maybe some cod liver oil as reccommended by the youtube video.

Just to note aswell, within 2 days of tanning for 6 minutes, followed the day after by 9 minutes, I'm clear. As in 99% clear, just got one or two that haven't gone down yet. I was quite red yesterday, because I asked for 6 minutes, and she gave me another 3 for free. I think sunbeds could really be the answer to many skin problems, but as with anything, just gotta try to minimize the side effects.

Your original post did not indicate that tanning cleared you...but that you were using it for discoloration. Which is it please?