Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Overload

Applying mineral foundation

ok so i bought some mineral powder foundation to cover my red marks after accutane until they heal ;) i was desperate lol

it matches my skin tone (just popped a little on this morning to check) i also have a brush to apply it with. now ive never used any kind of makeup in my life so i need some tips off you lovely ladies out there on how to apply it and make it look as natural as possible! :P

plus, does will it wear off over the day??

you also need a concealer to put under the foundation... :]

the concealer makes the application even more flawless, also make sure to moisturize before applying anything.

Not everyone needs a concealer.

I'm sorry you haven't had more responses to your question. Usually a million people jump up to help.

Okay - which mineral makeup did you buy?

If you want it to look less noticeable, you might want to try to make your mineral makeup into a tinted moisturizer. The way to do this would be to take your moisturizer in the palm of your hand and blend in some of the minerals. I apply with my fingers. If you find it streaks, or dries too quickly, I blend in some aloe gel with the moisturizer first.

That will give you a natural looking face - no one will know you have makeup on. The drawback is that it won't cover your red marks very well - but it will knock down their appearance considerably.

Then - take a small brush to cover your red marks - dip the small brush into the minerals and apply individually to each red mark.

That would give you the most non-makeup look, in my opinion.

Hope this helps. I have a few other ideas - but I have to run right now. I'll try to give you more info later.

The tinted moisturizer suggestion is good. Also, you may want to try mixing it with a silicone primer like Monistat Chafing Relief Gel (yeah, I know, but it's not for THAT) or Revlon's Age-Defying Primer for Combo/Oily Skin. Just wearing a silicone primer underneath the powder will help with staying power and more even application. It also may help fill in large pores and pitted scars, if you have them.

If you don't want to mix the powder with something, then use a good kabuki or flat-top brush. Spill a very, very small amount of powder into the lid of the jar or into a small clean bowl. Swirl your brush in the powder and tap it on the side to remove excess. Starting from the outside of your face (jaw and hairline), move the brush in small, circular motions all over the face, working your way in to the center. This is called "buffing," and should be continued until the makeup is well-blended. Repeat as necessary to get the desired amount of coverage. If you don't need coverage in a certain area, then feel free to not apply to that area or apply very lightly there. Just make sure you've blended well enough that there are no "lines of demarcation" at the jawline or anywhere else. If you'd like to spot conceal, then use a concealer brush, a small sponge, or your finger (always dump out a little foundation to dip into, don't dip into the jar), to apply the makeup directly on that spot and blend well.

About staying power, most mineral makeups have good staying power. Do try wearing it around the house for a day before going out with it, though, as some folks have problems with the makeup turning orange or oxidizing as it mixes with your skin's oil. This will definitely make it noticeable. I've found that primers help minimize this, but you should still be aware that it can happen.

thanks for the tips guys (i thought more people would offer advice!)

just one problem, over the day it seems to build up in my forehead creases (if i crease my forehead, it gets lines built up in there)

any tips? i dont think im putting too much on

just one problem, over the day it seems to build up in my forehead creases (if i crease my forehead, it gets lines built up in there)

Have you tried a primer underneath? That helps a lot of people with makeup settling into fine lines.

since you're a guy, i would focus more on softening the redmarks than really covering everything up. if you apply too much foundation, it'll be noticable, and you won't like that. the primer idea is great. it will fill in any lines and allow your foundation to wear more matte throughout the day.

if i were you, i would apply a light layer of foundation. (take a small amount of minerals, swirl your brush in, and then buff the minerals onto your skin by using circular motions.) make sure that your skin is properly moisturized and dry first. then i would go back with a concealer brush, and apply a little more foundation to the spots that need more coverage. less is definitely more when it comes to mineral make-up. you can finish off with another light layer, or i just take my foundation brush and i'll lightly brush over those areas to blend them in.

remember that you might not be able to cover everything, but for a guy, it's better for the make-up to look natural than really be flawless. the most important thing is finding a foundation that matches your skin tone (the best light to check is natural lighting,) and it sounds like you've already accomplished that. :) feel free to ask more questions if you need.

ok, so is primer stuff you put on first to ready your skin for the makeup? lol im such a novice haha

One thing i have is, i moisturise, wait 15 mins and then put the mineral foundation on. The problem is it still looks powdery. i mixed some into my moisturiser this morning to make a tined moisturiser and that covered better. BUT it didnt cover great.

maybe i should make the tinted moisturiser more tinted? this is so hard :P

yes, primer is the stuff you put on your bare skin before you apply your foundation. yeah, mineral foundation (or any powder foundation for that matter) has a tendency to look powdery if you put too much on. try using a little less and a lighter hand. the other thing you can do (which i personally love) is use a water spritzer afterward. i know it sounds funny, but i set everything with mac fix+ and it is awesome at removing the cakey look.

if you like the tinted moisturizer but what you made didn't give you enough coverage, you can do a couple things.... you can try mixing more minerals in with your moisturizer, or you can just apply a couple layers of moisturizer. (you would want to allow a short amount of time for the foundation to dry in between layers.)

This is a bit of a tangent... from a perspective of a guy.

The thing I regret when I had bad acne is wearing foundation. I think no matter how you do it, it's quite noticeable and when people do notice it's embarrassing. I think it gives off a message that you're overly self conscious to the person who notices. I'm not bagging on you, this is just what I feel now that I look back on when I used to use foundation before going out clubbing or to parties, or even work. When anyone noticed it was more embarrassing/felt worse than when someone commented on how bad my skin is. Not only that, but I look back and think 'damn that was silly, why did I care so much'. In retrospect, I guess it also depends on your culture. In a masculine culture it is considered feminine to wear makeup in most cases, thats just fact. So for me, in my culture, I felt uncomfortable wearing it, wondering if anyone noticed or not. What I mean is, going to lengths to hide your acne can be more shameful than having the acne. Even though you shouldn't feel those feelings, that is just how it is. So I guess I'm trying to say do what feels comfortable to you, personally.

I DO know how you feel. :)

However, if you do, the thing that made it look natural for me is putting the foundation over an area, then using a tissue with a dab of water to slowly blend it in on the edges. I used the shaving brush type of makeup with powder, and the best way to apply it for me was to do fast strokes so any excess powder is well and truly gone. and use a small amount of moisturizer underneath so it sticks.

think of it this way, if people can't like you for who you are without the makeup, then they are not worth affiliating with. but if you feel better about yourself with it on, then go ahead!