Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RHCP4Life

Noxzema Deep Lathering Cleanser

First off, I have very very mild acne and I am looking for a gentle cleanser to use on my face that will not aggravate the few pimples that I do have. Right now, I am using Noxzema Deep Lathering Cleanser but I am afraid that it isn't doing any good and that it is only irritating my skin. Here is the ingredient list:

Water , Glycerin , Stearic Acid , Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate , Myristic Acid , Lauric Acid , Potassium Hydroxide , Fragrance , Polyquaternium-10 , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Pentasodium Pentetate , DMDM Hydantoin , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , Hamamelis Virginiana Extract Witch Hazel , Menthol , Camphor , Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil

I have read that anything with "Sodium" in it is really not good for the skin and can lead to irritation as well as ingredients that cause a "tingly" feeling which is exactly what this product advertises. Am I correct in saying this?

Finally, I was thinking about picking up some Cetaphil because it has a pretty good reputation as being a very gentle yet effective cleanser and that is exactly what I need so as to not cause irritation.

Thanks for your help!

Well, I finally went out to buy some Cetaphil and even after the first wash I noticed MUCH less irritation than the Noxzema product I was using prior to the Cetaphil.

Unfortunately I picked up the "Daily Facial Cleanser from Normal to Oily skin" instead of the normal "gentle skin cleanser." Hopefully there really isn't a difference between them in terms of irritation but I doubt there is since this one felt much much better.

The Cetaphil Cleanser for Oily Skin actually lathers, as opposed to the Gentle Cleansing one that is a massage-in/wipe-off type cleanser. The only difference in terms of possible irritation is that the one you bought contains fragrance. Unless your skin is especially sensitive, though, I doubt that would bother you.

And kudos for getting rid of Noxzema! Man, the damage menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus have done to my skin over the years...