Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have hypertropic/keloid (raised) scarring on my upper back / shoulder area. I have gotten many many cortisone and steroid injections, which have helped to flatten the scars. Some of the scars are level with my skin, but most of them have either become atrophic (indented) because of too much cortisone, or they haven't quite flattened all the way.

Anyway, I'm to a point where I'm done with the injections. I'm pretty satisfied with the level of the scars, but I am DEFINITELY not satisfied with the color. Most of the scars are still red (even though I've read that the injections are supposed to help with the redness). In fact, in my biggest scar (which is still raised after SO many injections) is so red, and it even turns a purplish color after my workouts. This tells me that there are blood vessels under the scars, so when I work out, they become bigger hence the darker color.

Also, I've tried every topical, cream, gel, you name it that has been mentioned on these boards. I've tried pretty much everything that Skin Biology makes (including Super Cop 2x), I've gotten microdermabrasion, chemical peels, Retin-A, silicone sheets and pads, Mederma, scar gels, etc.

And before you jump to conclusions, I do not believe that my scars are red because of irritation, because I have gone for long periods of time with no topicals and the results are the same. I've had these scars for about 5 years, so I've tried all this stuff over the course of those 5 years.

The only thing that I haven't really tried yet are lasers. I've read a lot about lasers and I'm just reluctant to spend so much money especially if I don't get results.

My dermatologist does IPL laser (her website: http://www.centralfloridaderm.com/cfda-cos...edures.htm#ipl)

and I am thinking of doing this as a last resort. Other than this laser, I can't think of a single thing that I haven't tried.

So I'm asking you...I'm begging you...will this work? Please be honest, I don't want to flush any more money down the toilet. Will this laser reduce (or heaven help me ELIMINATE) the redness in my scars? Thank you SO much for responding!

I would think v beam would be more effective, but IPL should do well...

The thing i would worry about is the stimulation of more keloids, these lasers are known to stimulate a small amount of collagen production... If you are really prone to keloids then it may be risky.... then again if you only had these scars form from acne lesions you will probably be fine and i would imagine something like v beam will reduce the redness alot.

I have had persistant redness in some of the scars on my face. I found that several treatments with IPL helped to reduce the redness considerably. I avoided the spas and went to a dermatologist office where the tecnician has considerable experience. I have read about V beam but I don't have any personal experience with it. The fact that the scars get red or purple when you work out is a good indication that it is vascular but the dr. can look and let you know.

I have had persistant redness in some of the scars on my face. I found that several treatments with IPL helped to reduce the redness considerably. I avoided the spas and went to a dermatologist office where the tecnician has considerable experience. I have read about V beam but I don't have any personal experience with it. The fact that the scars get red or purple when you work out is a good indication that it is vascular but the dr. can look and let you know.

i had v-beam done it worked really well for me. the only down side is that after the treatment it gets a really really deep purple color like a fresh bruise then it gradually goes away. it wasnt painful at all by the way. i only needed one treatment.

Thanks for the info! My dermatologist's office offers the IPL, however it's not the dermatologist who does the procedure. In fact, I have never even seen my derm - apparently she only deals with skin cancer and such, so I always see the physician's assistant to get my scars injected. The person who does the IPL is some cosmetic something-or-other (a nurse maybe)? That makes me a little nervous, although the website says that she has experience and was trained by the derm. I'm going to go for a consultation (the consultation is $70!!) and get a better feel for the person doing the procedure.

I'm glad that you're saying it's worth it. If I can get the results I want (white scars), then I will spare no expense! It's just the paying for nothing that I hate. I paid $1200 for a series of microderm and chemical peels on my back and I got NO results. I didn't even notice a difference in the surrounding skin. It was a total waste of money.

I've had IPL before, and while it may help red broken blood vessels, I never noticed a big difference in the pinkness of my scars. They get chronically pink and if I drink any alcohol will flush red, like rosacea. However I don't have rosacea it's just the damaged skin in the scarred areas that get bad. You may or may not see a difference with IPL it is all a gamble. Just be aware it won't be anything dramatic.