Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acne_Hate_Me

RE: Benzoyl Peroxide ?

Hey everyone!

I have mild acne and been using Retin A for about 3-4 years now.

It's ok, could be better, but also my "regimen" takes too much time to do, if you know what I'm saying.

So, since I'm almost out of Retin A anyways, I'd like to switch over to using benzoyl peroxide based products.

But, I had a few questions regarding benzoyl peroxide and I'm hoping someone can help me:

-Does benzoyl peroxide stain clothes? I heard it does. Is it a big problem for you?

-Can't your body become resistant to benzoyl peroxide? I heard it could over time just like with any antibacterial substance.

Finally, since I've been using Retin A, should I wait a week or two before I start using a benzoyl peroxide based product?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes it can stain your clothes, towels, pillowcase- pretty much anything that comes into contact with it (it can also dye your hair/eyebrows).

No, you don't become resistant to it over time. If it works for you now, it should still work for you 10 years from now, as long as your acne is still being caused by the same thing.

I would suggest waiting at least a few days after stopping the Retin A before you start the BP. It can be very irritating and drying at first, so start with hydrated skin with no signs of irritation.

Hey everyone!

I have mild acne and been using Retin A for about 3-4 years now.

It's ok, could be better, but also my "regimen" takes too much time to do, if you know what I'm saying.

So, since I'm almost out of Retin A anyways, I'd like to switch over to using benzoyl peroxide based products.

But, I had a few questions regarding benzoyl peroxide and I'm hoping someone can help me:

-Does benzoyl peroxide stain clothes? I heard it does. Is it a big problem for you?

-Can't your body become resistant to benzoyl peroxide? I heard it could over time just like with any antibacterial substance.

Finally, since I've been using Retin A, should I wait a week or two before I start using a benzoyl peroxide based product?

Thanks in advance for your help.

hi,

I hope my few words can help you...

1. BP benzoyl peroxide doesnt stain clothes, it bleaches then out I mean white spots with appear on your clothes... sheets towel, basically everything ( I onyl use it in the nights, i have mostly white or cream sheets).

2. I'm not usre if you can become resistant to it... but i dont get that impression from my reading.

3.. I think it would be a good idea if you did wait a week or 2 before you start using BP, considering you were using something else. one week should be more than sufficient.

Finally remember to wash your face gently apply the BP gently till its all absorbed and then dont forget... I repeat dont forget to apply the moisturizer after tHe BP... our else your skinn will flake away..

Diet and exercise will also help.

Good luck...

I agree with the posts above -

1. Yes, BP can bleach clothing, towels, pillowcases, etc.

2. No, the bacteria does not become resistent to it.

3. Whether to wait after stopping the retin-a I think partly depends on your skin's sensitivity. I assume that your skin is pretty well adapted to the retin-a, since you have been using it so long? If you have too big a gap between stopping the retin-a and starting the BP, you might get a flare up of acne (since the pores will have the opportunity to start clogging again.).

What you can do to get your skin used to the BP is to do a gradual exposure approach. The first 3 nights, leave it on for 15 min and then wash it off. The next 3 nights leave it on for 30 min, then wash it off. The next few nights, leave it on one hour, next few nights for 2 hours. If you take about 2 wks to work up to leaving it on all night you will be less likely to get irritation or excessive dryness.

You may find that BP alone isn't enough to keep your pores clear (particularly if you are prone to noninflamed acne). If you start getting clogged pores again, you might think of adding an exfoliant to your regimen along with the BP.

Just curious - why are you wanting to stop the retin-a? Is it not working for you?

If you start getting clogged pores again, you might think of adding an exfoliant to your regimen along with the BP.

Just curious - why are you wanting to stop the retin-a? Is it not working for you?

i use apricot st ives, how many times should that be used? doesn't it make your skin more sensitive if used too much? every other day?

If you start getting clogged pores again, you might think of adding an exfoliant to your regimen along with the BP.

i use apricot st ives, how many times should that be used? doesn't it make your skin more sensitive if used too much? every other day?

St Ives is actually a pretty harsh scrub - the apricot pits that are used for the scrubbing beads often have sharp edges, which can cause microtears in the skin. There are definitely much gentler scrubs on the market than that one. If you get mostly inflamed acne, I would actually advise against using a scrub - it tends to irritate inflamed acne and make cause it to spread. If you have mostly closed comedones and blackheads, then a gentle scrub is a good cleansing option for you.