Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
femme_fatale

Overdoing chemical peels

Okay so last week I was a bit stupid (majorly stupid) as I overdid a lactic chemical peel as well as a glycolic chemical peel a few days later. I developed two major scabs on one side of my cheek and I have been applying polysporin with a bandaid on top but now the scab's falling off and in its place there are two very deep scars while the surrounding skin is considerably smoother. I have no idea what to do about this. I don't even know how to cover this up with makeup when I go out and I have a series of parties that I will be going to over the next few weeks. I also have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow about getting laser done for minor acne scars and discoloration but I don't know how I'm going to explain what I just did to my own skin.

Will the dermatologist be able to fix this quickly and is there any makeup trick I can use to camouflage this :(

I'm fairly depressed right now so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hi ff..

something like this happened to me when i had a glycolic peel professionally done - because i had been applying my acne medication to a particular pimple i had at the time, it made the skin in that area more fragile and it reacted by scabbing post-peel. i think you have the right idea by keeping the areas moist and letting the scabs come off on their own. this is what i did and i had no lasting damage. however, i didn't notice that the area looked atrophied at all. are you sure it is indented and not just a trick of the light? sometimes when you have a mark that is pigmented it can look depressed in some lighting when it actually isn't. even if it is indented, i wouldn't panic right now - give it some time and see what happens. these types of things unfortunately usually take a couple of weeks to heal up to the point where they aren't too noticeable - there really is no quick fix that i know of, all you can do is be very gentle with your skin and give it the best conditions to heal in. hopefully it will have faded by the time your parties roll around, and im sure makeup can help the situation at least a little for that time. hang in there and keep us updated!

Thanks for replying! The area's very bizarre. I have never had this type of scarring before. The areas so deep that it looks sunken in and it's very dark and anything that goes on top of it (creams, makeup) fill it right in so they're not even indented and skin keeps forming on top of it as well.

I only have two on one cheek and a smaller one on the other while the surrounding areas are mostly smooth with lighter flatter marks (I used to have indents they are mostly gone from chemical peels but still plan on getting laser done). I went to the doctor's yesterday he prescribed me 2.5% hydrocortisone cream to use for two weeks to calm the inflammation. I will be seeing a dermatologist this week as the doctor said I can get laser done after 10-12 days.

No problem :)

It is definitely gonna take a few weeks to heal, short term hydrocort is a good move - totally forgot to suggest that, but that's what I was given as well come to think of it, and I have used it in other cases of skin irritation as well - it tends to be very fast-acting and hopefully you will notice a lot of the irritation/redness resolving quite quickly. Once I had a horrible reaction to a facial (yep, never doing a facial again), that made me break out in tiny little raised bumps - I put hydrocortisone on it for a few days and they cleared right up, it was amazing as the reaction looked really horrible at first. Although your doc said that it's okay to do laser after 10-12 days, I might be a bit more conservative than that - depending on what laser you're looking at of course - may I ask which kind of treatment you're getting? If it is a milder laser that shouldn't be as big a problem, but to be on the safe side you might want to wait closer to 3 wks to a month. I would also recommend asking your dermatologist (the one that will be performing the laser) to get his/her input, as they should be familiar with the laser and will be able to advise you best on whether to go ahead sooner vs later in light of your chemical peel mishap.

keep me posted on how it goes :)

also, would be curious to know what chemical peels you have been doing, as well as the name of the laser, and how bad your scars were in the first place. i have a few very very shallow scars that apparently nobody but me notices - they have gotten better over time and with various procedures that i have tried but its a constant process of improvement, so suggestions are welcome :)

I haven't seen my dermatologist yet so I'm not sure what they plan on doing on my skin. Unfortunately the scabs are off and the area looks very infected. It's bleeding and its deeper wounds on both sides. I have never in my life had this type of damage on my face where the wound is bleeding. I'm applying hydrocortisone on it as I am not sure what else to do. On two of the wounds it looks like the skin is rebuilding though.

I had mostly stuck to using lactic acid peels. Recently in the past month I started experimenting with glycolic and my skin had a negative reaction to it. It was 65% glycolic when I normally only used 65% lactic on a weekly basis. I used to have pitted scarring which is all gone now and I only have slight discoloration left and two or three tiny little holes in my skin that look more like pores but theyre from past breakouts. For the past two three weeks I've been applying extra virgin olive oil and then switched to rose hip oil on my skin and I noticed those areas of my skin are considerably brighter so essential oils have me hooked. So the only part of my face that looks bad is the part I managed to damage myself :(