Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albert89

Accutane. Blood TESTS. LIVER. DIET

Hi guys, I am on my second course of accutane. My first course went very well, but I had a relapse 2 months after i was done with the course. I recently started my second course, and have cleared nicely. I have ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION though. Since I heard that accutane makes your fat and cholesterol levels go up, I got on a diet. I only ate lean beef twice a week, ate only 3 times a day, no snacks. I lost about 15 pounds. The blood tests came out perfectly normal and everything. My question is, now that i am on my second course, i want to gain some of that weight that I lost. Should I eat normal again? I dont know if i should of been on that diet or not. Was anybody else on this diet? did anybody eat normal and have any problems on their blood tests. All Answers appreciated.

ALBERT

Hi guys, I am on my second course of accutane. My first course went very well, but I had a relapse 2 months after i was done with the course. I recently started my second course, and have cleared nicely. I have ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION though. Since I heard that accutane makes your fat and cholesterol levels go up, I got on a diet. I only ate lean beef twice a week, ate only 3 times a day, no snacks. I lost about 15 pounds. The blood tests came out perfectly normal and everything. My question is, now that i am on my second course, i want to gain some of that weight that I lost. Should I eat normal again? I dont know if i should of been on that diet or not. Was anybody else on this diet? did anybody eat normal and have any problems on their blood tests. All Answers appreciated.

ALBERT

Hi Albert, I too am on my second course of treatment. My first course I never recalled being told to watch my diet.

This time, however, I am on a much higher dose. I tried to watch what I ate.. no pizza, junk food, etc... during my first and second months and my trigylcerides were a little high. My derm told me to watch it. I started eating better during month 3, and my labs came out perfect. I also lost 5 lbs being as I've been drinking TONS of water. So maybe not eat MORE bad things to gain some weight back, but eat more BETTER things.

Hope this answers part of your question.

ALBERT

Hi Albert, I too am on my second course of treatment. My first course I never recalled being told to watch my diet.

This time, however, I am on a much higher dose. I tried to watch what I ate.. no pizza, junk food, etc... during my first and second months and my trigylcerides were a little high. My derm told me to watch it. I started eating better during month 3, and my labs came out perfect. I also lost 5 lbs being as I've been drinking TONS of water. So maybe not eat MORE bad things to gain some weight back, but eat more BETTER things.

COLLEEN,

ARE YOU DRINKING TONS OF WATER BECAUSE YOU ARE EXTREMELY THIRSTY? IF SO GET YOUR BLOOD SUGAR CHECKED.

Prior to starting on Accutane, I pretty much ate healthy almost all the time. For the three months I was on Accutane, my cholesterol levels shot up really quickly and I eventually had borderline high cholesterol levels even though I went on a strict diet around my second month.

ALBERT

I assume that you want to gain muscle, not fat, right ? :D

Eat healthy doesn't mean you can't gain weight. I would recommend you to read the book "The Abs Diet". http://www.absdiet.com/uof/absdiet/

Even though you aren't on accutane, you shouldn't eat snack. You may gain weight by eating hamburger or drinking soda. But it is fat. I'm sure you don't want to put that on. What you want is muscle.

some tips:

1. eat 5 -6 times per day, small portion more often. Don't let you body feel hungry.

2. high protein diet. I understand that beef is not a good option, but think about whey protein. Eat egg white (no yolk), soy milk or 0% milk ...etc. Very important to have enough protein if you wish to gain weight.

3. exercise 3 -4 days/week, 30 min/day. runing and swimming are fine, no intense activities.

4. fish oil

5. nuts

6. veggie and fruit... lots of them

only 30days, you will see some results....

Last recommendation: thinking accutane is a lifestyle changing opportunity. Healthy skin is not enough. You need a healthy body as well.

ALBERT

COLLEEN,

ARE YOU DRINKING TONS OF WATER BECAUSE YOU ARE EXTREMELY THIRSTY? IF SO GET YOUR BLOOD SUGAR CHECKED.

Extreme thirst is a common side effect of Accutane. We all experience it, even with normal blood sugar.