Acne after stopping...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne after stopping birth control pills

MemberMember
(@emhdel)

Posted : 02/27/2008 12:04 am

Hi,

I am 26 years old and have taken Ortho TriCyclen birth control pills since I was 18 (about 8 years). I never had major problems with my skin before or during my time on birth control pills (I was VERY blessed). I stopped taking the pill about 5 months ago because my husband and I want to start having children within the next year, so I figured this would give my body time to get adjust. I have had terrible problems with my skin for the past five months! I am breaking out all over my face and back, my skin is VERY oily, and my hair and scalp are SOOO greasy! The breakouts mainly occur one week before my period and the week during. I know it has to be directly linked to the pill and hormones, but I thought it would get better with time!! It actually seems to be getting worse with time. I have tried Proactiv and tons of other face washes and products. Has anyone else experienced this and had anything work for them? Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@a_stylist)

Posted : 02/27/2008 9:23 am

Hi,

I am 26 years old and have taken Ortho TriCyclen birth control pills since I was 18 (about 8 years). I never had major problems with my skin before or during my time on birth control pills (I was VERY blessed). I stopped taking the pill about 5 months ago because my husband and I want to start having children within the next year, so I figured this would give my body time to get adjust. I have had terrible problems with my skin for the past five months! I am breaking out all over my face and back, my skin is VERY oily, and my hair and scalp are SOOO greasy! The breakouts mainly occur one week before my period and the week during. I know it has to be directly linked to the pill and hormones, but I thought it would get better with time!! It actually seems to be getting worse with time. I have tried Proactiv and tons of other face washes and products. Has anyone else experienced this and had anything work for them? Thanks!!

I would consult your OB/GYN and ask for some hormonal testing. I think this is more of an internal issue vs. something you can "fix" with OTC or topical.

A simple blood test should be able to reveal if there are any issues. And if you are thinking of TTC soon, you would want to have that done anyhow.

MemberMember
(@1982)

Posted : 02/27/2008 9:16 pm

Hi,

This happened to me too!! I was on Alesse for about 7 years and stopped taking it in July. In December I started breaking out on my chin...now I have it all over my chin, jawline, and a bit on my forhead. I have never in my life had acne this bad before. It's awful. So in January I started taking Daine 35 (birth control pill). It's supposed to be good for clearing up acne. My face got even worse after I started taking that. I then started on antibiotics and am waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist. I went to an esthetician (sp?) and recently started using DerMed cleaner and toner (expensive!). I had tried all kinds of cleansers, creams, etc. nothing worked. So as it is now my face has improved a bit since it was at it's worst, but it's still quite bad (in my opinion). I don't understand why this would have happened, but the only thing I can link it to is stopping the pill. Oh and by the way, I'm 25.

MemberMember
(@elisabeth25)

Posted : 02/28/2008 1:31 am

Hi,

I have had a similar experience to yours--I went off of taking Yasmin after being on it for three years...and my skin began to break out more on my face and back. I've had some success with curbing the acne by changing my diet-- less sugar intake, eating a lot more fruits and veggies and complex carbs and by taking vitamins and minerals--I take zinc, A & E, and I've recently started taking omega 3 & 6. I still have some break outs but they have become less fequent and severe since I've changed my diet a few months ago. I don't know if that helps you at all but I wish you luck!

MemberMember
(@tomodachi343)

Posted : 02/28/2008 9:28 am

I stop taking Yasmin in August when I studied abroad to give my body a break from it, I had been on it since I was 15 and I was 20 at the time. My face broke out terribly for awhile, and didn't start improving until I went back on BC in January.

MemberMember
(@stel)

Posted : 03/01/2008 12:15 pm

I stopped taking my pills about 5 months ago because I didn't want to be on them anymore- I had been taking them since I was 17. I'm 24 now. My skin was alright for the first few months, but then in January, my skin started to get worse. I went to a derm and was offered Accutane. I start next Monday.

In my case I think that my skin isn't entirely hormonal. While on the pills, I still broke out everywhere on my face (though my back and chest had cleared up). After stopping I realize that my body is just going screwy trying to regulate hormones (which is why I'm breaking out badly now), but I'm still going on Accutane because I know that after my hormones regulate, I'm still going to have problems....

MemberMember
(@jacqueline-rademaker)

Posted : 11/22/2008 7:04 pm

Ugh! I know the pain! I actually stopped taking Yaz in May 2008 because I was graduating from college and would no longer have insurance. Everything seemed to be going ok at first, but by the time September came along my face (along the chin and jaw line) started to get really irritated. I thought it was my face wash at first so I switched, but the breakouts were getting worse! I went to the dermatologist and he put me on Minocycline 100 mg and by week 7 I was still breaking out really bad. I went back last week and he put me on Solodyn 90mg and I also went back on Yaz because I think my acne is hormonal. I hope this clears up soon! My face is super oily by the way :( Yuck.

MemberMember
(@pregopox)

Posted : 11/27/2008 1:57 am

Wooooow... I guess it happens cause of BCP's dammit! I was on yasmin for about 6 years and never had a zit, maybe once in a blue moon. My skin was always flawless and all I got werw compliments on it all day long (nor being conceited) I got married and got off the pill in 01/07 and ended up happily pregnant in april! My skin started getting these nasty blackheads around the nose and chin which I picked at everyday. Up until july or august was when it was just horrific. I looked like a bad chicken pox case..NO EXAGGERATING..anyway yes, being on BCP's in my and my docs opinion is what contributed to to the chicken pox breakout on my face. All thjose years of hormones and then pregnancy hormones... Sucks ass but now I have an almost 1yr old son and I still have acne. Not like pregnancy in anyway but its painful to still see myself this way. I'm considering BCP's again though even though I knoiw it will happen again next pregnancy. I am 30 but hopefully I grow out of it! Good luck

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 11/28/2008 12:10 am

Wooooow... I guess it happens cause of BCP's dammit! I was on yasmin for about 6 years and never had a zit, maybe once in a blue moon. My skin was always flawless and all I got werw compliments on it all day long (nor being conceited) I got married and got off the pill in 01/07 and ended up happily pregnant in april! My skin started getting these nasty blackheads around the nose and chin which I picked at everyday. Up until july or august was when it was just horrific. I looked like a bad chicken pox case..NO EXAGGERATING..anyway yes, being on BCP's in my and my docs opinion is what contributed to to the chicken pox breakout on my face. All thjose years of hormones and then pregnancy hormones... Sucks ass but now I have an almost 1yr old son and I still have acne. Not like pregnancy in anyway but its painful to still see myself this way. I'm considering BCP's again though even though I knoiw it will happen again next pregnancy. I am 30 but hopefully I grow out of it! Good luck

omg im freaking out..im suppose to stop tri cyclen this month...my face is so clear.

i was on the pill for 15 years..im 29

i was on accutane already and i cahnged mydiet and i take suppliments so i wonder if ill still get acne back after getting off the pill

isnt there away to avoid this transition phase?

MemberMember
(@aurora8927)

Posted : 12/03/2008 11:02 pm

i pretty much had the same problem, though i did have troublesome acne before i was on the pill (i was on ortho tricyclin lo) but after i got off of it my skin broke out worse than its over been in my life!! i mean it was bad, all my face was was just a big.. zit lol but i found something that works for me..

i wash my face twice daily with garnier nutritionist cleanser (all their products are great but very pricey, i just had a coupon) use proactive toner, and the best of all is avenno clear complection moisturizer .. the cleanser has exfoliating beads in it not so much that its a harsh exfoliant so it can be used everyday and the moisturizer is the best i've ever used, doesnt leave my skin oily and doesnt leave it flaky dry

didnt exactly "clear" my face completely but in less than two weeks i've got no red irratation and my skin complection is smoothed out

as far as birth control goes i've been on 4 different types and i never really enjoyed any of them mostly because of the hormones.. their great while your on them but if your body gets immune to it or you go off it your body crashes and its aweful.. i advise to try using a non hormonal form like a FemCap.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/04/2008 9:54 am

omg...ive been on it for 15 years..well i stopped in 2004 for a few months but went back on...so now its been a few years now since then

my face is soclear right now..im really really scared..it took so long to get off

my mom says that i probably wont get it that bad cuz i take vitamins , plus i take specific B vitamines for hormones plus benzaclyn acne cream but im afraid that it wont be enough

im sure the acne doesnt stay forever but does everyone get it bad goin off the pill?????

how do celebs do it, i hear how they where on it and they got off toget pregnant and they dont have that problem.

thanks for the tips!!!!

NikkiCM liked
MemberMember
(@mrs-martin-blank)

Posted : 12/05/2008 7:34 am

sort of the same here too. i started the pill in hopes that it would help my acne. no such luck. was on it for 3 years then started accutane. (this was when i was 20, i am 37 now.) the accutane was an absolute godsend. cleared up the acne and greatly diminished the oil production.

got married a year later. about 2 years later got off the pill and had first child. during the pregnancy my skin was still clear but after it became a mess. got back on the pill for another 2 years and skin still was crap. had second child and skin became 10 times worse. went on pill again but eventually got off due to midcycle breakthru bleeding. and i don't want to take the pill forever either - hubby got fixed.

so here i am 7 years later still dealing with acne. it has its cycles, like i can be relatively clear for a few months then wham pizza face again. and my face and hair get soooooo oily. have appointment with derm later this month and i will beg, borrow, and bribe to get accutane again.

might just call ob/gyn for hormonal testing just to be sure but since my skin was never ever clear on the pill i highly doubt its hormonal. accutane was the only thing that ever helped.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/05/2008 9:49 am

wow..see i know my acne was hormonal..

after accutane my face improved a great deal but would still get mild breakouts

for months now, my face is clear..and im on the pill

so i wonder if the hormonal stage is over now that im clear.

ever since i started taking more suppliments, change of diet and workouts, ive been the clearest

BUT i also use that new device called tanda.,,,the blue light

but i still dont know if ill get acne back if i get off the pill

my sex drive is totally gone too, so im think of alternatives and stay on the pill till i have kids.

im 29 already

MemberMember
(@perrine)

Posted : 12/06/2008 4:43 pm

Hi!

I can't find my post which was moved, but I also have similar problems.

I was on the pill since I was 18, a good way to stop my acne. I used to have cysts but I was still presentable. And then, last year, I was 29, I decided to stop that because I realized it was the source of my low sex drive. It was in August 07. By December I was breaking out, extremely greasy hair...so my doctor gave me doxy (antibiotics) which worked for my face. But then came July, and I broke out all over my back and shoulders, with more cysts on my face. Doxy had stopped working. I went to a healer, it did reduce my acne on my back. But because I turned 30 and that psychologically I could no longer handle skin pbs, I decided to give roaccutane a try. I started a week ago. We'll see how it works...I know my acne is part hormonal too, so I know that I may never see the end of it, but I am quite optimistic...any roaccutane success stories among adults?

MemberMember
(@perrine)

Posted : 12/06/2008 4:54 pm

Oh, I forgot to say something: doxy also helped with greasy hair, but anyhow, you have to be patient because breaking out when stopping the pill is also mostly due to your body finding its own balance back altogether, so Dannie if you stop the pill, don't be afraid to wait I would say 6 months (at LEAST) to see how it gets back to normal. Use special shampoos that you can use daily without damaging the hair and scalp. I am from France so I only know French brands, but I am sure you can find some over there. As for your skin use soap free bars (cold creme by Avene) and once a month, put Henna in your hair. It is all natural, you can also find Neutral henna, it does a GREAT job. Really.

But despite my skin problems, I do not want to get back to birth control: I feel so much better without it.

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/06/2008 11:00 pm

Oh, I forgot to say something: doxy also helped with greasy hair, but anyhow, you have to be patient because breaking out when stopping the pill is also mostly due to your body finding its own balance back altogether, so Dannie if you stop the pill, don't be afraid to wait I would say 6 months (at LEAST) to see how it gets back to normal. Use special shampoos that you can use daily without damaging the hair and scalp. I am from France so I only know French brands, but I am sure you can find some over there. As for your skin use soap free bars (cold creme by Avene) and once a month, put Henna in your hair. It is all natural, you can also find Neutral henna, it does a GREAT job. Really.

But despite my skin problems, I do not want to get back to birth control: I feel so much better without it.

thank u so much for the reply

i did use accutane before and helped a great deal.

i guess it does make sence for the face to breakout so the body finds its way backto be normal...but im fair skined and i scar so easy..omg imso clear right now

gosh i cant imagin goin threw that depression again..

i wish there was a wayto avoid the breakouts

i know some woman that never broke out goin on the pill or off..

imscared of the bad cramps coming back when i pms

and i do have a low sex drive and i was trying to find other alternatives

MemberMember
(@perrine)

Posted : 12/07/2008 5:42 pm

I would give it a try if I were you. Because it doesn't happen all of a sudden either, so you'll have time to try doxy, for instance...and as for the cramps, I did not get those even though I had a hard time before it. It actually kinda fixed the whole thing.

So, go for it and see for yourself, give your body a chance to fix itself, and be ready for doxy or accutane!

And, remember, you may not break out.

thank u so much for the reply

i did use accutane before and helped a great deal.

i guess it does make sence for the face to breakout so the body finds its way backto be normal...but im fair skined and i scar so easy..omg imso clear right now

gosh i cant imagin goin threw that depression again..

i wish there was a wayto avoid the breakouts

i know some woman that never broke out goin on the pill or off..

imscared of the bad cramps coming back when i pms

and i do have a low sex drive and i was trying to find other alternatives

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/07/2008 10:36 pm

well u did give me a bit of hope..thanks alot

its just i was on this other forum about getting off the pill and all the woman got acne back ..bad too

and even woman who never even had acne before got it

i guess im scared cuz i know ive been on it for so long

u said droxy stopped working after??

is it worth goin on?

i was on accutane before so i dont think ill go on it again.

im tryin to take vitamins to help with hormones.

thanks so much

MemberMember
(@perrine)

Posted : 12/08/2008 2:08 am

Well yeah, on my face doxy worked well, but then even though I was still taking it, I broke out on my back last summer so I came to the conclusion that it had stopped working. I'd been taking it for 7 months.

The only thing is that doxy makes your skin sensitive too so you'd have to be careful in case you try it...yeah it is worth going on because there are no other side effect beside your skin being more sensitive than usual. Put sunblock and you're all set. Again, it depends on people whether it is effective or not.

You can also try taking zinc. I didn't handle zinc very well coz I would get those stomachaches and felt faint most of the time in the morning (not good when you teach) but it does work well to along with doxy for most people. And also try and find a magnetic healer, it helped me too. That's why I hesitated so long for starting Roaccutane, because the results were very noticeable with magnetism. But not fast enough on my face for my liking.

Oh, and if you like natural remedies, you can also make herbal tea with wild pansy: it's supposed to cleanse your liver and help get rid of all the toxics. Sort of very light detox along with healthy diet. When cold you can also apply it on your zits (if any at all!) it soothes the skin.

You should be all set if you want to get off the pill. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/08/2008 9:58 am

if i use a tea that detox, it will probably make me break out,,

i remember trying to clean my liver out before with a tea and my face started to get so bad i stopped LOL

i will mention the droxy to my doctor when i get off..

so its kinda lik an accutane only it doesnt have as many side effects?

right now i take zinc,b-complex, b5.b6 for hormones and then other stuff like omega 3,primerose,vitA+D,

im sure those helped as well as that blue light device tanda.

i dunno if those will help prevent breakingout,,,

i went to my doctor saying how i was scared of this and if i can see a gyno or someone to talk about my hormones and he wouldnt refer me to anyone

he said all u can do is try.

im really nervous..ive never had such clear skin before and i scar easy..i dont want to scar again.

thanks for the help, the talk really helps me

MemberMember
(@perrine)

Posted : 12/10/2008 2:44 pm

I don't know if DOXY is like roaccutane...I guess it's not the same composition. It is an antibiotic.

Hope you stay clear even off the pill :)

if i use a tea that detox, it will probably make me break out,,

i remember trying to clean my liver out before with a tea and my face started to get so bad i stopped LOL

i will mention the droxy to my doctor when i get off..

so its kinda lik an accutane only it doesnt have as many side effects?

right now i take zinc,b-complex, b5.b6 for hormones and then other stuff like omega 3,primerose,vitA+D,

im sure those helped as well as that blue light device tanda.

i dunno if those will help prevent breakingout,,,

i went to my doctor saying how i was scared of this and if i can see a gyno or someone to talk about my hormones and he wouldnt refer me to anyone

he said all u can do is try.

im really nervous..ive never had such clear skin before and i scar easy..i dont want to scar again.

thanks for the help, the talk really helps me

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/10/2008 7:08 pm

thanks me too

im made an appt with a gyno to see what they say to me..

i dunno if thats the right doc to talk to, but i figure its better then just a family doc.

MemberMember
(@miracle23)

Posted : 12/26/2008 2:03 am

I had the same problem too!! I was on Mircette for 4 and a half years (18-23) I got off the BCP July08. I didn't have too many skin issues before getting on BC, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad after either. Boy was I wrong. I was zit-free for about 2 months after getting off the pill. I guess the effects of the pill are still present in the body keeping you zit free. But I haven't had a spot free face since September. What's worse is, every zit leaves a nasty red mark.

I didn't do much about it initially, but it's really starting to affect my life and self confidence. I've done a bunch of research on it. Basically getting off BCP causes hormonal imbalance, which could be long-term or short-term (depending on your body, the pill you were on and how long you were on it) When you get off BC your body releases excess testosterone (a male hormone/ androgen which women need to have in small quantities for hair, natural oil etc) The testosterone causes your brain to tell your skin to release more sebum (oils) which, along with dry skin clogs your pores, allowing the bacteria on your skin to live in an oxygen free environment to grow and prosper in.

Clearing your skin (without getting back on BC) is a two fold process:

1) Tackling the breakouts from the outside (this is where BP + an anti-bacterial work)

The BP breaks down to release oxygen to the skin, doesn't let the bacteria multiply. The anti-bacterial kills the bacteria already present.

2) Tackling the excess testosterone released

A lot of people get off BC and don't have skin issues. How is that possible? Does that mean they don't go through hormonal imbalance? May be-- but that's unlikely. All that means is that they have an excellent lymphatic system (that carries excess hormones to the liver) and a liver that is in great condition (the liver breaks down excess hormones and eliminates them from your system)

So how do you treat acne from the inside?

- Excercise (improves your lymphatic system)

- Drink plenty of water

- Avoid: alcohol, coffee, tea, cigarettes, sugars, antibiotics ( the list goes on -- but these tend to be bigger damage-doers)

- A mulitvitamin (make sure it has B6)

Good luck! Wish you all a zit-free 2009!

MemberMember
(@dannie)

Posted : 12/26/2008 9:49 am

all those things u listed..i do that...

i even take more suppliments for the skin

my skin is nice though, before it was ok but still brekaouts on the pill..now its undercontrol so i know those things i changed in my life make a diff

BUT i still dont know if that means ill break out after i get off the pill

maybe i should stay on until ill have kids

MemberMember
(@kristabel)

Posted : 01/01/2009 5:03 pm

My story is a bit more scary than others on here, i started taking bcp (alternating dianette and yasmin) about 10 years ago and had already had bad acne up until then and the bcp cleared it up. After about 5 years i decided to stop taking the pill and of course after exactly 3 months i got the worst cystic acne you can imagine, much worse than it had been before i ever took the pill. I had no choice but to go back on the pill. I gradually developed severe depression which is an occasional side effect of both dianette and yasmin.

So i tried to come off it again only for the acne to return worse than ever. So now i am trapped again on yasmin which i believe is totally aggravating my severe depression (i have had to give up work). Antibiotics are not an option for me as i think the acne i have is for life and hereditary and taking antibiotics for years and years screws with your body a lot. Accutane is not an option for me because of my history of depression. So now i am trapped on the yasmin and stuck with the depression. I would give anything for a way out of this