Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clchieng

Stopping BP and Differin--Question

Hi,

I'd been using Differin for about 3 years and benzoyl peroxide for about 11 years--Differin at night, BP during the day.

About 5 months ago, I decided to stop everything. I'm 32, a guy, and my hormones are pretty stable at this point--my acne was also pretty mild before I started using these topicals, which I think only irritated/weakened my skin and worsened the acne (a lot of irritating ingredients in the BP and Differin). My face was constantly pinkish and dry when I was on the meds.

The first couple of months after I stopped weren't too bad, but the last couple of months I've had weekly flare-ups (though my face is no longer pink). It's probably in the mild/moderate stage now. I'm washing my face with ACV twice a day (diluted with water 1:3), and that seems to be helping.

Does anyone have any information on how long it takes for the skin to return to its former pre-benzoyl peroxide and pre-retinoid state? Is it going to be months or years?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Hi,

I'd been using Differin for about 3 years and benzoyl peroxide for about 11 years--Differin at night, BP during the day.

About 5 months ago, I decided to stop everything. I'm 32, a guy, and my hormones are pretty stable at this point--my acne was also pretty mild before I started using these topicals, which I think only irritated/weakened my skin and worsened the acne (a lot of irritating ingredients in the BP and Differin). My face was constantly pinkish and dry when I was on the meds.

The first couple of months after I stopped weren't too bad, but the last couple of months I've had weekly flare-ups (though my face is no longer pink). It's probably in the mild/moderate stage now. I'm washing my face with ACV twice a day (diluted with water 1:3), and that seems to be helping.

Does anyone have any information on how long it takes for the skin to return to its former pre-benzoyl peroxide and pre-retinoid state? Is it going to be months or years?

Thanks a lot for any help.

I used bp and differen at night same as you for years too, i wanted to stop because i felt like i was done with the sticky feeling of my skin. red and sometimes tender. avoiding the sun and stuff. but after being off it for a year my skin just grew dull and not smooth but rough looking. now that i want to start it again i have to go through the hard stage all over again, like the big flakes and peeling and breakouts and burning:( . you might end up with worse skin than before for awhile. oh well , you can always get back on it again right.