Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MacLover

Flushed face anyone?

My face starts getting really flushed and red for about an hour a day. Its wierd. It gets all hot and red and looks like I have worked out really hard or been in the sun. My daughter says I look like a racoon.

I told my derm this and he said he never heard of that. I thought I read about someone else's face doing this.

I have been on accutane for a month now. Just got some new pretty's on my neck but my face is alot smoother looking and not oily anymore. Its NICE minus the neck bombs.

Yes, I have started to get this too over the past month.

In fact it is pretty bad now and I have reduced my dose to 40mg every other day instead of 40mg everyday. I have another month or so left to reach my cumulative dose. (8 month course of 30-40mg daily).

It is a bit odd that you are flushing so early on because when I asked my derm he said it usually comes on late in courses because as the Accutane accumulates in your body over the months it builds up, thus increasing the flushing, redness and dryness as you go along.

He also said that the flushing and appearance is very similar to that of rosecea but assured me that it is not rosecea and that he had never heard or seen the flushing turn into rosecea. He basically told me not to be alarmed by it and that it will get much better once done Accutane and will eventually go away once the skin retains all of its moisture (6-12 months after finishing Accutane).

Hope this helps.

Maybe soul, but im still flushing 11 months post tane and i can tell you now it isn't going anywhere any time soon!!

How bad/severe is it? Has it improved at all since you stopped? What was your dose or length of course?

From what my derm said, it gets better over time but can take months for some and weeks for others to improve. I hope things get better for you.

Let me know because I am getting nervous about it myself.

Thanks

My derm (first to prescribe tane in the UK and has been prescribing it since it's release) also said it normally wears off EVENTUALLY. Well i would say my flushing has improved to a certain degree but i can't say whether thats due to the way i have been treating it or simply because it is wearing off.

My derm believes it is due to a hypersensitivity reaction within the cappilaries, which i kind of agree with but i also believe there is an auto immune facter along with this...

So in my derms eyes what happens is significant damage is done to the blood vessels due to a reaction of unknow cause. This causes the blood vessels to be unable to regulate themselves which inturn leads to more damamge/inflamation etc etc. Similar to rosacea but i guess when resolution occurs it is due to the production of healthier vessels to replace the damamged ones...

The key is avoiding flushing as best as possible, i only have the deep flushing after sex/when i drink alot of alcohol now, other than that so long as i don't get to hot to suddenly im OK.

Maybe soul, but im still flushing 11 months post tane and i can tell you now it isn't going anywhere any time soon!!

How bad/severe is it? Has it improved at all since you stopped? What was your dose or length of course?

From what my derm said, it gets better over time but can take months for some and weeks for others to improve. I hope things get better for you.

Let me know because I am getting nervous about it myself.

Thanks

72 days, 3 months.. and im starting to suffer too :ninja:

So... does anyone use any products for this? I apply cetahpil, emu oil and jojoba oil, i aint as red on a morning, but come afternoon i go red :doh:

So... does anyone use any products for this? I apply cetahpil, emu oil and jojoba oil, i aint as red on a morning, but come afternoon i go red :doh:

That seems to be the problem aimee, in the morning when this first began my face would be ghostly pale, but then by evening i could pretty much feel my ears and cheeks pulsating.

Most people i have spoke to about this problem are the same...

As time has warn on however there isn't AS much of a difference between morning and evening, altho mornings are still slightly better. This is probably just due to the cappliaries not being subjected to vaso dialation/constriction.

The only products i would recomend while on accutane that are likely to be of any help are aloe vera gel and a product called zinco, you can get a tinted version which really evens out skin tone aswell. it actually reduces the inflamation and reduces flushing for me...

That seems to be the problem aimee, in the morning when this first began my face would be ghostly pale, but then by evening i could pretty much feel my ears and cheeks pulsating.

Most people i have spoke to about this problem are the same...

As time has warn on however there isn't AS much of a difference between morning and evening, altho mornings are still slightly better. This is probably just due to the cappliaries not being subjected to vaso dialation/constriction.

The only products i would recomend while on accutane that are likely to be of any help are aloe vera gel and a product called zinco, you can get a tinted version which really evens out skin tone aswell. it actually reduces the inflamation and reduces flushing for me...

Yeahh i go pale then red too!

are you male or female?

I still wear makeup... I feel so paranoid without it!

THanks for your input.

I thought I had read about it, but I didn't find a thread on it.

I tend to get read for about an hour. I can just be sitting there doing nothing.

I have to go work out. I wonder what I will look like!

THanks for your input.

I thought I had read about it, but I didn't find a thread on it.

I tend to get read for about an hour. I can just be sitting there doing nothing.

I have to go work out. I wonder what I will look like!

Same here and I get the burning ears and my face feels tight like it is a sunburn, sometimes when I am just stressed out or in a warm room near a vent. Forget exercise, after sex or even running for 20 minutes I am beat red so I am just going to walk once a day a few blocks for exercise until I am done in about a month or so.

I also found that keeping a cool room (window open a crack if you are in a colder climate) helps to regulate things.

Lamaar, thanks for the insight to the problem and also glad to hear that it has improved with time and is now limited to exertion with you. I am sure it will go away in time but could take a 12-18 months to totally go away.

It isn't a very good feeling as we all can attest I'm sure.

Has anyone tried Aveeno, Ultra calming lotion?

No, but I am not sure a lotion would actually help this. This is more of a deeper problem I think. It seems to be like a the blood is rushing to my face kinda thing. I don't see how a lotion could help that.

No, but I am not sure a lotion would actually help this. This is more of a deeper problem I think. It seems to be like a the blood is rushing to my face kinda thing. I don't see how a lotion could help that.

I noticed that some people in the Rosecea forum use it to reduce redness and flushing with some success so though it may also help in this situation. Probably won't cure it, but may help it some...it is a moisturizer I think.

I'm pulling something out of my rear end here, but...

I've read in other threads/blogs that people are using something made by Eucerin for redness. It's a moisturizer with a green tint to it, to neurtralize the red. I've never seen or used this product myself, so I can't say how well it works. But I can tell you that the people who wrote about it are pretty happy with it overall. I'm actually going to look for some of this myself. I'm only on week 5 and I'm flushing. I had some flushing during week 2 as well. My cheeks feel glowing hot at the moment.

I've used that eucerin, it does work to hide redness, but it's not going to stop flushing...check at walgreens

If you experience any flushing then my advice would be to lower your dose. It seems that in the large majority of people the flushing ceases after tane is out of your system. However, i believe that in those cases where flushing is serious then i think that it can permanently damage your blood vessels leaving you with a condition similar to rosacea.

Unfortunately iam 8 months post tane and still have big flushing problems. I wish that somebody had told me that this could of been a permanent issue when i was a few months into my course. Instead i foolishly listened to my derm who said with absolute certainty that it is temporary and that accutane cannot cause rosacea. As i said, reduce your dose.....lowish doses

( < 0.5mg/kg/day) have been shown to just as effective in many trials.

If you experience any flushing then my advice would be to lower your dose. It seems that in the large majority of people the flushing ceases after tane is out of your system. However, i believe that in those cases where flushing is serious then i think that it can permanently damage your blood vessels leaving you with a condition similar to rosacea.

Unfortunately iam 8 months post tane and still have big flushing problems. I wish that somebody had told me that this could of been a permanent issue when i was a few months into my course. Instead i foolishly listened to my derm who said with absolute certainty that it is temporary and that accutane cannot cause rosacea. As i said, reduce your dose.....lowish doses

I agree keelers. The key for recovery lies in avoiding flushing all together. Be it through avoidance of your triggers or medication such as clonidine.

I agree keelers. The key for recovery lies in avoiding flushing all together. Be it through avoidance of your triggers or medication such as clonidine.

Over the past few days, it has not been so bad. How would you lower your dose if your doctor does not believe what you are saying. What if lowering my dose will effect the outcome? I don't know. I will ask my derm at my next appointment about this. Its ALOT more common than he thinks it might be.

i have been on tane for about 2 months on 80mgs a day.....my face is usually a normal color even after a warm/hot shower, but then when i apply moisturizer my face then looks really red and flushed, i tried an experiment, after my morning shower i mosturized just 2 seperate areas on my face, lone behold, an hour later those 2 areas were flushed and red looking, while the rest of my face was my normal color, a little dry and flakey but normal

????

Over the past few days, it has not been so bad. How would you lower your dose if your doctor does not believe what you are saying. What if lowering my dose will effect the outcome? I don't know. I will ask my derm at my next appointment about this. Its ALOT more common than he thinks it might be.

Just lower the dose anyway... theres no harm in lowering your dose. To be honest would you rather slightly increase the relapse rate of your acne by say 5% or risk having a flushed face for the rest of your life? I'm just giving out advice i wish someone had given me.

i passed over this experience as well while being on tane.. but now .. almost 11 months away i dont have any problem with flushing and oily skin. Depends from a person to another... but im sure that with time passing your skin will regulate and adjust these inconvenniences