Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jemini

Questions about nuts and milk

So I recently started a low carb diet, per my naturopaths instructions. Right now I am eating meat (any kind) and non starchy vegetables. I also eat some questionable foods that my naturopath said would probably be ok. I don't drink milk, but I do consume home made kefir for probiotics. I also consume alot of nuts/seeds hummus and dark chocolate. I don't think the chocolate is a huge deal since it is not sweet at all, maybe 20 grams of sugar per 100 ounce bar (I don't eat a whole bar every day). Plus there is tons of fat and fiber to reduce the GI effect. I am mostly concerned about the other foods. Do people who have problems with dairy have it with all forms? THere should be no lactose in the kefir since it is fermented. Also, I have heard people having problems with nuts. My naturopath said I only had to avoid peanuts since they have a fungus or something. I eat almonds, cashews and pecans. I've only been on this diet since last Thursday, though I cheated and took to shots of Jager Sat night which has alot of sugar. But I have been clean thus far. However I have noticed no improvement yet. I will give it maybe another week with this diet, but if nothing changes by then I will probably change it up and remove the nuts and/or kefir. Though I don't know if I can maintain a diet of JUST meat and vegetables. The nuts, hummus, chocolate and kefir at least offer some diversity to make this diet to make it bearable.

By the way, I have been feeling generally light headed and thirsty which indicates that I am probably in a borderline ketosis state.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I also plan on eating beans. I guess I have been eating them in moderation from the hummus.. I usually have it on celery.

Also, I am really really oily. While I wouldn't expect to be clear anytime soon, I figure the proper diet should show results in my oil relatively quickly, like in a matter of days. If that were to reduce, I would know I am on the right track.

Nuts make me oily. I also cannot tolerate dairy in ANY form -- that's because it's casein that gives me problems, not lactose.

Beans and lentils are fine for me if I soak them overnight before cooking them.

But no one will really be able to tell you what you can and cannot eat because everyone has different intolerances. I think probably the best thing to do is cut out all foods you are not sure about, and then after a week or two, try adding one food back, wait a few days, and see if you have any reaction to it (acne, oily skin, etc.). Then repeat with another food. It takes awhile this way to determine which foods give you problems, but it really is the only way.

You should try to mainly eat veggies. Its not good to eat mainly meat -- it puts too much stress on the liver -- almost as much stress as an alcoholic. Try to eat a majority of veggies.

Its not good to eat mainly meat -- it puts too much stress on the liver -- almost as much stress as an alcoholic.

You should try to mainly eat veggies. Its not good to eat mainly meat -- it puts too much stress on the liver -- almost as much stress as an alcoholic. Try to eat a majority of veggies.

Its not good to eat mainly meat -- it puts too much stress on the liver -- almost as much stress as an alcoholic.

I wonder how humans evolved over 2 million years eating a diet comprising of 80% or more of meat with zero liver problems....

;)

I'm not eating too much meat, I would say I am mostly living off of nuts and whatnot. But I am already losing weight as it is. If I cut out kefir and nuts, its going to get crazy. I get full from meat really quick, and fibrous vegetables are going to make me lose even faster.

"By the way, I have been feeling generally light headed and thirsty which indicates that I am probably in a borderline ketosis state."

:hand: Right there, that's dangerous. You really need to adjust and watch out, I've had the same thing at times and I think it's because of your dietary changes. My suggestion is to add more sugar, water, right type of vegs (no reactions) and limited fruits (again no reactions) to your diet.

Also, for me milk/dairy is a huge no-no! :naughty: As far as meat-very little red meat, more white meat- chicken and sea food. NOT FRIED! Steamed, baked, bbqed, broiled.

Nuts- I keep hearing things about this and I heard about the dangers of trans fat and hydrogenated fat. I may have to try no nuts at all which I hope I can be positive about, I love them. :sick: And you should always love your nuts! ;)

You should see results in your diet within a month, maybe sooner. How's the rest of your life? Exercise? Stress? Rest? Meditation?

Good luck and keep thinking that you're getting clear skin and YOU WILL!! :angel:

I think I will get it under control. My naturopath put me on this diet for now until he gets the blood work back, which should really help pinpoint the problem. I'm not eating much dairy, I just don't want to give up my home made kefir. I got the real kefir grains and everything. I have been eating a little more, things like carrots and hummus. THey have some carbs and that has been keeping me from getting weak. Plus alot of dark chocolate! (only the darkest I can find)

Maybe you should just try cutting the nuts for a little and see if you improve. I thought i was fine w/ nuts, but finally came to the realization that they may be making me break-out. I cut them out and haven't gotten any new zits in about a week. i was really hoping that wouldn't be my problem. That is quite possibly the worst news for me because i absolutley love nuts! I really miss my apples with cashew/almond butter and almonds and cashews on salads. oh well, maybe if i get my body back in check i can add them back in the future. So moral of the story, try cutting the nuts for a little and see if that helps.

oh and btw Barry, nuts dont have trans fat or hydrogenated oils, only some cheap industrial nut butters contain those ingredients.