Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
osugirl44

FINALLY starting accutane-My Log

Day 1

I'm finally starting my isotretinoin course after months of jumping through hoops. being a girl and trying to get on accutane is rough. my first dr.'s appt. to get started on accutane was in the beginning of november! and today is my first day (feb. 26). but i just hope it will all be worth it!

i'm starting on 40mg tablets twice a day. my derm initially wrote my Rx for 30mg 4 times a day. but my pharmiscist told me that it would cost $900/month! needless to say, i couldn't afford that. it would have hit my prescription coverage cap for the whole year in the first two months. so my derm switched me to the 80mg a day and it is 'only' $500/month. so this way it will be covered under my insurance for at least 3 months. soo here we go and i am just hoping that this will work for me!!! God knows i've tried just about everyyyything else. so far i don't think i have any side effects. i am on my "monthly visitor" (haha i don't want to give tmi for any guys) so i have bad cramps and backache but i'm pretty sure that that's why, nothing to do with the accutane.

Thanks Jules and natural girl! :]

Day 2

Holy dandruff! haha last night after my shower, my whole head must have peeled off into my hair. so today i went and bought some heavy duty head and shoulders and it was already lots better after a good wash. the only other side effect i've noticed is my sleep patterns. i couldn't fall asleep forever even though i was super tired. then i slept past 2 alarms this morning and almost missed my class. i hope my body regulates soon. oh and i read in some other tane logs that vitamin E is good for helping skin from drying out so bad and flaxseed oil is good to assist with the absorption of the tane. if anyone has taken either of these or knows anything else about them i'd love to know! i bought bottles of both today.

Day 4

Happy Leap Day yall!! today was the first day my face got really dry. after my shower my face was burning and it looked pretty red. i've also started breaking out pretty bad. i think it's that initial breakout thing i've heard so much about. my lips are dry too but they always are in the winter. which makes me think, i'm not sure that winter in ohio is going to help my skin any. but oh well, as long as this works for me (fingers crossed!) i hope that my skin has calmed down by spring break though! i don't want my face to be a hot mess on vaca.

well i think i'm gonna go make some food. i'm so darn hungry ALL the time!! i think i'll blame it on the tane ;)

Day 6

man oh man. is it just me or is my dosage higher than normal? i'm on 80mg a day and i initially was supposed to be on 120mg a day but got it lowered so it would be cheaper. anyways, after i got out of the shower today i lubed up my whole face with aquaphor. and literally, i looked like a burn victim. my face was not only beat red but it was almost puffy looking. tomorrow is my first day of classes since i've started having side effects. i'm a little nervous that my face will start flaking off by my second class. which is not good because i have THE biggest crush on my professor!! don't worry, it's not creepy. he's actually a grad student that teaches the course so he's only 25.

and i know that these logs are way more interesting when they include photos but i'm still a little insecure about posting mine :redface: we'll see though. hope everyone's doing great and staying/getting clear!

i've been in two mind about the pics too!

it's so hard when acne has made you feel so self conscious about yourself....i don't think i ever leave the house without makeup on!

good luck on roaccutane *fingers crossed*

his pumpkin- have you found anything that calms down the redness? i haven't had much luck, just kind of have to ride it out.

lottielou- thanks for the support, i never leave the house without makeup either! i don't know what i'd do without it. good luck to you too! :D

Day 9

dry face? check. it's not that it's that bad, just annoying to have to mosturize so many times a day. my acne seemed to be subsiding but then my chin starting sprouting a farm and i have one coming right over my cheekbone that is killing me. it's gonna be a monster! i think it's because of stress though. this week is my last week of classes and then i have all of my finals next monday. why they were all scheduled on the same day is beyond me? but after that i have SPRING BREAK for about 2 weeks so hopefully my face will calm down in time for my new spring quarter classes. alright, well i should be writing a research proposal right now. procrastination is my life...

i've put aloe on my face from time to time (i actually did last night) & that seems to help with my redness. have you tried this yourself? unfortunately, it doesn't fix flushing during the day though, that's just embarassing!

no i haven't tried aloe, i'll do that. i've been using aquaphor on my whole face at night. but i agree the flushing during the day is so embarassing!

Day 13

almost 2 weeks! i can't believe it. today i was surprised when i woke up to find my head looking scary! it looked like i had the worse case of lice you've ever seen. i've been using dandruff shampoo, the strongest i could find in fact, but i guess it's not working. my head itched so bad today i almost went nuts. but my face wasn't that dry at all?

and today i was snowed in on top of it! we got a blizzard and i think at last measure there was 15 inches of snow!! little crazy to have a blizzard in march, but that's ohio for ya! i have all my finals on monday and after that i will be happily m.i.a for a week or two. spring break, here i come!

my pics are finally up in the gallery too. still not too sure about that :eh:

Day 28

I can't believe it's been a month! a fourth of the way there. well as exciting as that is.. haha my side effects have been getting rough this last week. my lips are throbbing as i type. i didn't know lips could be this dry. i keep them soaked in pure lanolin at all times and they're still very irritating. my eyes are also starting to get dry and really itchy. i got some eyedrops though that work wonders! so that's not bad. and mannn has my body been feeling crappy. my knees and ankles feel like they're just going to give out at any minute and my back is killllinnnnggg me!!! i've tried everything but nothing helps it. i even get back spasms sometimes when i lay down certain ways. and now i feel like a negative nancy! hahaha but i just want to let everyone know the side effects i'm having. i just have to remind myself sometimes that i'm doing this to get clear skin, and it's all completely worth it. all of these things will be temporary and over soon! as soon as i take some new pics i'll post them. my mom saw me for the first time in a couple months and said she could really see a difference! so that was exciting :D