Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mboona

going to see a derm soon, need advice on meds

basically i have very oil skin on my t zone and very prone to breakouts. i used benzoyl proxide for several years and it helped alot but occasionally i would break out with huge cystic acne. i switched over to salicylic acid and i no longer get cystic acne but i break out more often on my chin and they usually end up with puss filled white heads. Luckily I dont get any breakouts on my chin,but I have to be sure to moisturize it, but im tired of the occasional breakout and oily skin, and im going to go see a dermetologist in a few days, and was wondering what i might expect in terms of perspecription medicine, what worked, what i can suggest, or try to avoid of my doctor prescribes it. thanks a lot

basically i have very oil skin on my t zone and very prone to breakouts. i used benzoyl proxide for several years and it helped alot but occasionally i would break out with huge cystic acne. i switched over to salicylic acid and i no longer get cystic acne but i break out more often on my chin and they usually end up with puss filled white heads. Luckily I dont get any breakouts on my chin,but I have to be sure to moisturize it, but im tired of the occasional breakout and oily skin, and im going to go see a dermetologist in a few days, and was wondering what i might expect in terms of perspecription medicine, what worked, what i can suggest, or try to avoid of my doctor prescribes it. thanks a lot

It all depends on who you are. Some had stellar effects from some products, others had no effects, and more still had bad. Your acne doesn't sound very bad (I would kill for the occasional breakout that could be treated with salicylic acid), so you probably won't need a lot.

You may be started out with Retin-A, a treatment that is supposed to prevent acne by stopping it before it starts. It gets rid of acne that is just under the surface, so it may take several weeks until it gets rid of it. In that time, you may get worse before you get better.

My experience: Didn't work at all. My mom tried it on her cheek once to see how bad it is, and she got a pimple on that spot (she hasn't had acne in thirty years!).

Minocycline and doxycyline help some people (pills). It only caused bruising on me.

My best bet was with topical treatment on Clindamyacin. It worked quite well, but it's a little drying, so that may work okay with very oily skin w/ moisturizer.

Good luck...