Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnnnn

I Recently Started Glycolic Acid, What Should I Expect?

What Can I Expect To See As My Skin Is Getting Used To The Product?

I Started Using This Product With Two Or So Small Pimples And Red Marks. I Started Thursday Night. Now, I Have No Pimples Except For A Large One Under The Skin On My Chin. There Are Many Bumps All Over My Face That Don't Look Quite Like Pimples. They Are The Color Of My Skintone And Are Usually Small. My Once Blemish Free Forehead Now Has Very Many Of These. There Seems To Be Less Now That My Skin Has Gotten Used To The Product. Did This Happen To You? My Skin Is Extremely Itchy From The Dry Skin (Which I Know Is To Be Expected). Is It Okay To Use Another Exfoliator Along With This? (I Had St Ives Apricot Scrub In Mind).

I Started Using This Product With Two Or So Small Pimples And Red Marks. I Started Thursday Night. Now, I Have No Pimples Except For A Large One Under The Skin On My Chin. There Are Many Bumps All Over My Face That Don't Look Quite Like Pimples. They Are The Color Of My Skintone And Are Usually Small. My Once Blemish Free Forehead Now Has Very Many Of These. There Seems To Be Less Now That My Skin Has Gotten Used To The Product. Did This Happen To You? My Skin Is Extremely Itchy From The Dry Skin (Which I Know Is To Be Expected). Is It Okay To Use Another Exfoliator Along With This? (I Had St Ives Apricot Scrub In Mind).

To be honest, don't scrub with any harsh products while on glycolic acids. Use a washcloth or a baby brush to get rid of the flakes. Most manual scrubs are very harsh (the ones with beads are more gentle). They can actually make you more sensitive and put tiny cuts into your skin, even though you can't see the cuts. This lets bacteria get in and hence, more acne. Glycolics are one of the only treatments that work on me consistently. I find that scrubs counteract the exfoliation effects of glycolic acid. Leaving me red, more sensitive and very irritated. Glycolics are basically helping you slowly exfoliate the layers of skin in order for new skin to "surface". You basically renewing your skin over time. The longer you use, the less dry you will become and the better your skin will look. I do scrub once a week. I use the Philosophy Microexfoliating scrub. It does not hurt me, but I only use it rarely. I went through a period where I was exfoliating too much which did more harm than good. I had to stop.

It might be wise to use a moisturizer during the day. Something oil-free, scent free, dye free. I actually like The MD FORTE Line of glycolics. The lotion is light and I still get the benefits of glycolics without drying. I also find that you need to start slow with glycolic acid. One application of one product, once a day to start out with. Over time you can add more applications, higher concentrations of acid. You skin has to get used to it. It's an acid, so go slow. It is the only thing that will 100% clear me if I use regularly. If I get lazy and not use it, I break out badly. Not a cure, but a management system so to speak.

To be honest, don't scrub with any harsh products while on glycolic acids. Use a washcloth or a baby brush to get rid of the flakes. Most manual scrubs are very harsh (the ones with beads are more gentle). They can actually make you more sensitive and put tiny cuts into your skin, even though you can't see the cuts. This lets bacteria get in and hence, more acne. Glycolics are one of the only treatments that work on me consistently. I find that scrubs counteract the exfoliation effects of glycolic acid. Leaving me red, more sensitive and very irritated. Glycolics are basically helping you slowly exfoliate the layers of skin in order for new skin to "surface". You basically renewing your skin over time. The longer you use, the less dry you will become and the better your skin will look. I do scrub once a week. I use the Philosophy Microexfoliating scrub. It does not hurt me, but I only use it rarely. I went through a period where I was exfoliating too much which did more harm than good. I had to stop.

It might be wise to use a moisturizer during the day. Something oil-free, scent free, dye free. I actually like The MD FORTE Line of glycolics. The lotion is light and I still get the benefits of glycolics without drying. I also find that you need to start slow with glycolic acid. One application of one product, once a day to start out with. Over time you can add more applications, higher concentrations of acid. You skin has to get used to it. It's an acid, so go slow. It is the only thing that will 100% clear me if I use regularly. If I get lazy and not use it, I break out badly. Not a cure, but a management system so to speak.

Yeah At The Moment I Don't Think I Have Any Active Acne =] I'm Just A Little Worried About Those Forehead Bumps. It's Weird Because I've Never Gotten Anything Like This Before. Do You Think My Forehead Might Just Be Really Sensitive And I May Want To Only Apply It Every Other Day On That Area For The Beginning, And Once A Day Everywhere Else ?

Those bumps are the clogged pores getting unclogged by the glycolic acid. It shouldn't last more than 2-3 weeks and then you'll see a big difference in the texture and smoothness of your skin. :)

weird, this morning i woke up with completely clear skin and now that i go to look in the mirror i see a whole bunch, except they're small. is this common?

weird, this morning i woke up with completely clear skin and now that i go to look in the mirror i see a whole bunch, except they're small. is this common?

Yes. Give it some time...

will do. this is the only product i use and i only use it at night. whenever i get itchy i use a facecloth to scrub or put on some cetaphil moisturizing cream (which is too greasy to wear during the day, have any recommendations? ) is that good ?

thanks for the quick response btw.