Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jessie Rose

Mystery Redness around mouth

Hi! I've been viewing posts on this board for several months hoping someone would post about an issue similiar to mine.

I'm a 23yo female and I have been suffering from a persistant redness around the corners of my mouth. It almost looks like paranthesis on the out side of my mouth. It started about 7 months ago. I've researched everything possible trying to figure out what it may be. The skin is constantly pinkish, and gets worse after a shower or when I've been out in the cold. The area is not itcy and not particularly any drier than the rest of my skin. Sometimes its a little more sensitive than the rest of my face (if I exfoliate) and on occasion the area feels "tight". I am currently without health insurance (only part-time in college so I got booted from my parents HS), so it really isn't as easy as going to see a derm. I've tried moisterizing, Aveeno calming lotion, elidel cream and even some low potency steroid cream (starts with a D). Nothing seems to make it any better. I am so extremely frustrated because around this time last year I had nice skin. I have occasional mild break outs but nothing severe. None of these breakouts have been within the area that is red.

Can anyone please give me some insight on what this may be? Exzema and rosacea do not run in my family AT ALL. The redness is starting to wear on my self-esteem.

Thank you all in advance!

p.s. as soon as I get a chance I will post some pictures...

Hi Jessie...does the affected area also have small (tiny) bumps that can only be seen under certain lighting or can be felt on your skin? Kind of like a heat rash type thing? I myself have redness close to the jaw line bordering my chin (also very close to my lips) and it runs up to paranthesis area of a smile- if that made any sense. Some moisturizers make that area burn so I have to be careful of what I use. It's def redder after a hot shower and after exfoliating. I can cover it up with makeup but the tiny bumps are still visible if you really look for them or under certain lighting. If I don't moisturize though it does get dry and flaky right away...that's why I have to apply moisturizer as soon as I wash or after the shower because my skin is very dry to begin with. I don't have insurance either...I wonder what a dermatologist runs? btw..my condition seems to have gotten worse since I've been pregnant so I wonder if it's hormonal?

I forgot to mention I'm 26

It sounds to me like perioral dermatitis. Steroid creams are implicated, so are heavy creams, and sometimes even fluorinated toothpaste.

Please check out this link: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise..._dermatiti.html

It suggests a mild cleanser (I like Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Antibacterial bar) and unfortunately, a visit to a doctor for oral antibiotics and sometimes topical antibiotics. Please do consider seeing a dermatologist if your condition does not improve within two or three weeks of using a mild cleanser, not scrubbing, and not applying creams to the area.

You know I had done research myself online and came across perioral dermatits. Since I have not seen a dermatologist yet I've only self diagnosed it as that. Thanks for the input I guess that's what it sounded it like to you as well...and that's what I was wondering if Jess had that's why I was asking her for a more detailed description of her affected area(s). I am 3 months pregnant at the moment so any use of oral antibiotics is is very limited especially for the extended period of time that is suggested to treat this. I have considered my toothpaste as the culprit because ever since I started brushing my teeth in the shower it's flared up. It seems that when I brush in the shower the toothpast runs down to that now affected area and it burns! So I will go out and buy a non-flouride toothpaste. Since I am pregnant do you know of any natural or holistic cures I could try? I am very limited to what I can take or use. Some websites I ran into suggested applying apple cider vinegar to the area with a cotton ball twice a day?

Hey everyone,

The area that is red does not have any little bumps at all, and doesn't burn when applying lotion. I've researched perioral dermtitis and I don't really believe that is what I have. The past week I have been applying Vaseline to the area and have been avoiding exfoliating the area when I do and it seems to be helping. The area still has a hue of pink to it but it is much less noticable. I'm hoping it will continue to improve. If it doesn't, I'm going to see what I can do about antibiotics.

As for you newmamma, its seems like you may be allergic to your toothpaste, especially since you noticed thats when it flared up. My room mate (who has the priveledge of seeing a derm) had a rash all along her chin. They did an alergy test on her that showed she had a response to her toothpaste. They told her to switch brands and avoid getting it on her face. Maybe you could try that?

I'll keep everyone updated on any continuing improvements. :-) Thanks for all the input!

Well it's good to hear you're seeing improvement so far. I've switched toothpastes to an all natural, organic brand that contains no fluoride or SLS so we'll see how that goes. Now I should prolly consider not exfoliating that area either for it does get irrated after exfoliating-- duh! I just came to that realization tonight after washing my face and using my nightly Dermalogica Microexfoliant...man is it red and irritated right now! So I will do my best to avoid that area but I will continue to exfoliate the rest of my face. I will keep you posted on my progress and you do the same. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Hello....well I'm back after several months. I think I have discovered what the tight, dry, flaky red areas around my mouth was...possibly seborrheic dermatitis (sp?)...I read online that creams like Lamisil, Clotrimazole or Miconazole can be used so I figured what the heck I'll give one a try. Lo and behold, one week later it has improved greatly!! I've been applying Lamisil cream 1x a day at night after my shower. Hope this helps others!

i have the same thing going on for me right now... my dermatologist told me i have perioral dermatitis(rash and bumps around mouth).... but i also have some symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis(itchy scalp, ears and nose)... i posted a topic about this asking a couple of question to anyone who is going through this to see if we can find out what is affecting us. if you want to answer the questions, just check out my profile and you'll see the topic i posted.

Hi Jesse,

I am a 23 yr old male with what sounds like the same problem you have exactly! It has been going on for around a year and a half. When I wake up in the morning or after a shower or if I am outside in the cold it is the worst. My chin just gets really red. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just gets bright red. I went to a dermatoligist abt this a year ago and in my experience these doctos pretty much just guess and give you creams to try. Anyway, he gave me something called metro cream and something else, but neither did anything. Just putting the stuff on really caused my skin to glow red again (from rubbing my hands on it). Anyway, I have basically diagnosed myself as having really sensitive skin which I believe (I'm no dermatoligist) is caused by either a) my long term use of powerful acne creams or b) genetics. Its a real bummer, but I guess I have just accepted it. Sorry I couldn't help...

im 23 and have these bumps around my mouth. i have used tooth paste for pimples. i had dark spots around my mouth and eyes so i went to the dermatologist and they diagnose me with seborrheic dermatitis and gave me heavy steriods for discolorization. i pretty sure it made it worse and thin out my skin even more. now it has been over 1 year. i have had these bumps forever no more dark spots. just looks like a rash on my face. i have tryed all the oils cocoanut oil, fish oil tea tree oil, vitamins, neosporin, washing my face with all sorta of cleansers. nothing has worked. i wash 2 times a day and use hydrocotozone which just helps the dryness but the bumps are still there. please help?

post-93888-1232693800_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232693810_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232693845_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232693800_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232693810_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232693845_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

I've given in and decided to post to all of you out there in the internet world lol

So, I was just recently diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis and was told to stop putting anything on my face, which I have done. It is day 4 of my Tetracycline antibiotics and my skin has only gotten INCREDIBLY dry. Now, since I'm not allowed to use anything on my face anymore, is this normal? Is it just going to dry and flake till nice new skin comes through?

Thank you!

I totally freaked out about this for the past 4 days. I was staying with my family in A very secluded area that did not sell my usual organic Peelu's Toothpaste. I had to use some crappy fluorinated kind. When I got home it went away and I realized it must of been the nasty Crest crap. Just be careful what you put in and on your body! It makes a world of difference. Fluoride is rat poison!

Dawn:P