Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been hearing TONS of things about saw palmetto on this board, but i have to admit, i haven't done much research on it. i was at target the other day and saw it there, so i bought a bottle of 160mg soft gels...then when i got home i read the back that said it was a MALE HORMONE FOR THE PROSTATE AND URINARY TRACT!

is it bad for women to take it?

Also, i got some of the non-synthetic Vitamin E, and i was wondering how much i should take...ive also heard that rubbing vitamin E directly onto skin will reduce redness/scarring. has anyone tried this? if so, when do you apply it?

Saw palmetto's primary therapeutic action is to inhibit 5-alpha reductase in forming DHT, however it doesn't have any affect on overall circulating free androgens so I don't see any point in taking it.

As for Vitamin E, before you use any for scars you should read this.

http://www.healthcentral.com/peoplespharmacy/408/61224.html

It can actually make scars look worse and cause contact dermatitis. I don't know why everyone thinks vitamin E is so great for scars, it's not!

thanks...im checking out that site right now...

so what i don't understand is why i read about taking saw palmetto on this board if it doesn't help?